Search

Suite upgrade at Asian properties

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 9:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Suite upgrade at Asian properties

Hi FTers,

Has anyone got great experience of suite upgrades at Asian properties as a PLAT? Though it is mentioned as a benefit for PLATs (staying 3 nights or less and a suite upgrade can be possible for Asian properties as a PLAT), but my experience at Asian properties has not been always positive.

Happy Travel!
Old May 17, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: MR rewards
Originally Posted by kikid
Hi FTers,

Has anyone got great experience of suite upgrades at Asian properties as a PLAT? Though it is mentioned as a benefit for PLATs (staying 3 nights or less and a suite upgrade can be possible for Asian properties as a PLAT), but my experience at Asian properties has not been always positive.

Happy Travel!
Upgrade in Asia is easier than europe , four night at shanghi city center got a suite also in guanzo got an club room when i was gold ..
Usualy the room in asia are bigger so your fine
Old May 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I have had some success but definitely not every time.

Last month I was at the Marriott Guangzhou Tianhe for 4 nights, no such luck. Fortunately the standard room there is large and very nice so I did not mind. I have stayed there about 5-6 times and I think I got upgraded once.

Then I was 3 nights at the Renaissance Harbour View Hong Kong and DID get an upgrade. Which is very nice because the standard rooms there are pretty small. I have had success there a few times in the past as well.

Next month I am staying at the JW Marriott Hong Kong, we will see if I get the upgrade.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've had quite a few upgrades too, but I've seen more as a PP than a Plat, which is of course right, but doesn't always seem to be the case outside of Asia. JW Marriott KL, Renaissance Mumbai and Marriott Bangalore have been the best for this.

Pretty much guaranteed at least an upgrade though as most Asian properties are fairly large.

T
Old May 17, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
As a Plat I have gotten upgraded about 75% of the time. in TPE, SIN, KUL, BOM and HKG
Old May 17, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
As a Plat I have gotten upgraded about 75% of the time. in TPE, SIN, KUL, BOM and HKG
Which property in TPE would you recommend?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamand; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; LeAccor Platinum
Suites upgrade is much easier in Asia as Plat Member than US. US has one of the hardest suites upgrade IMO as Plat Member.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:36 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
I think it depends how long you stay at hotel.
Last time when I was at JW Marriott Bankgkok I stay 3 days and didn't get an upgrade. A few days later I stayed only 1 day and got upgrade to suite.
They told me, they give upgrade only at 1 day booking because if more then 1 day they don't know if they not need the room by themself at the following days.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
All of my stays at the Beijing JW (the older one) have been a week or more and in all those stays I have been upgraded to the full suite consisting of an entry room with a connected half bath, living room, bedroom and a full bath with separate shower and tub. The tub even had its own TV. These suites even have three separate A/C controls.

Why would I stay elsewhere?
Old May 21, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The CYs in Hong Kong are stingy about giving suite upgrades. The CY on HK island has limited suites so it's understandable - AFAIK for Plat staying for 1 night they will very likely upgrade you to a suite. The one in Sha Tin is a totally different story - they upgraded us to a "premier" room as Plat - Then I told them that there is a suite upgrade for suites if your stay is less than 3 nights (we had 2 nights there). After extreme struggle I got a studio as an upgrade.

In Marriott Shanghai city centre - no upgrade. Autograph Tokyo got a corner room upgrade - that was nice. CY BKK - a family room as an upgrade.

The only suite upgrade was JW Macau - got an executive suite upgrade, but still after some negotiation (Conrad in the same city pre-upgraded us into a 2 queen suite).
Old May 21, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by pdpgps
Which property in TPE would you recommend?
We were at the FS Marriott on an award stay and got an upgrade corner JR suite which was great. The CL staff was some of the best we've experienced. Great new hotel

My wife did a review of the hotel and the rooms

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com...tel-in-taiwan/

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com...arriott-hotel/

Did not experience the CY but did talk to a plat who stayed there and was impressed. Also upgraded on an award stay and the CY had a concierge lounge

The FS is outside the DT area but 10 minutes from the MRT. The CY is directly by the MRT

Hope this helps
Old May 21, 2016, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks everyone's responses and inputs!

I also agree the CY at Sha Tin is bit stingy with upgrade to a suite (let alone a studio). You probably have to present the 'benefit policy' to them

Anyone having experience at the CY Ginza Tokyo? I normally get what I book, even better rooms are available.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My best Marriott upgrade ever was at the JW in KUL
Old May 22, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Forgot to add: The Ren in KL is very generous about Plat upgrade as well. They will try to give you suite upgrade whenever it's possible. My kids love the hotel and feel welcomed. The hotel is great because they have 2 wings - 2 lounges, 1 for no kids and 1 allow kids - perfect.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I get suite upgrades 90% of the time in Asia. At the Seoul JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square right now and got upgraded from a regular room to a Deluxe Executive Suite and staying on points.
I would say even RC properties in Asia are more keen to give suite upgrades than in Europe or the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.