Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse - Urban extension to MVC brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Marriott press release today:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/05/mar...of-it-all.html

Excerpts:

"Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, an exciting extension to the Marriott Vacation ClubŪ brand, features unique properties that embrace the spirit and culture of their urban locations, creating an authentic sense of place while delivering easy access to local interests, attractions and transportation.

The guestrooms and suites at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse properties echo the cosmopolitan nature of their surroundings, each with an updated, modern look and feel that reflects the personal energy and unique culture of their host cities. Because the action is found outside the property—in the city and the neighborhoods—the guestrooms and suites are designed for shorter, more active stays. Most Marriott Vacation Club Pulse locations also have connecting rooms and kitchenettes, making them great options for larger parties and guests who may want a bit more room during their city-centric vacation or getaway.

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse begins initially in the heart of five vibrant cities. Each property was chosen for its central location in the heart of the action:

* Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City - Within walking distance of NYC's flagship retail stores, Bryant Park and the hustle and bustle of Times Square, this magnificent Midtown Manhattan location features one of the city's most spectacular rooftop bars.

* Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Diego - A stylish downtown retreat close to all that San Diego has to offer including the Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park and the legendary San Diego Zoo.

* Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, South Beach - With an enchanting mix of history and modern luxury, this lovingly restored Mediterranean revival gem is one of South Beach's most iconic locations. On the north end of Ocean Drive, it's a short stroll to the best of Miami's South Beach.

* Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at The Mayflower, Washington, D.C. - Landmark vacations start here, a property proudly listed on theNational Register of Historic Places and central to hundreds of Washington, D.C.'s best museums, restaurants, shops and attractions.

* Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at Custom House, Boston - Built in 1847, the Custom House and its Clock Tower remain the jewel ofBoston's skyline and an elegant glimpse into America's past.

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse properties in Boston, Washington, D.C., South Beach and New York City are now taking reservations for immediate arrivals (Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Diego is currently taking reservations for arrivals beginning on July 1). For reservations, information and to learn about affordable rentals at the new Marriott Vacation Club Pulse properties, Owners and guests can visitMVCPulse.com."
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Stayed at the NYC property last week... Do yourself, and your wallet, a big favor and stay at the Fairfield Inn next door. You'll get the same, very small / cramped, NYC-style hotel room and have a lot more $$$ to spend in the city.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting that for Boston, this is just a rebranding of the Custom House since its been in the Vacationclub system for years already.

Maybe the Pulse brand is just to signify an overpriced location with a smaller villa or hotel type room, limited amenities in the rooms (no/limited kitchen, no washer/dryer etc)?

Last edited by rylan; Jul 5, 2016 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting that for Boston, this is just a rebranding of the Custom House since its been in the Vacationclub system for years already.

Maybe the Pulse brand is just to signify an overpriced location with a smaller villa or hotel type room, limited amenities in the rooms (no/limited kitchen, no washer/dryer etc)?
That's what I (cynically) thought as well. My wife and I attended a timeshare presentation at the Custom House many years ago and decided not to buy (thank goodness). Marriott rebranding that location as a "Pulse" just confirmed to me that they are diversifying into so many brands that are ultimately meaningless.

In fact, now that I think about, the door is wide open for the next CEO to come in and "revolutionize the lodging business" by consolidating all these countless, barely-differentiated brands into a much smaller set of brands with actual distinctions between them.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Any thoughts on how the one is at San Diego?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wait...these are MVCI rooms that don't have kitchens? They're basically really expensive regular hotel rooms?

I don't know why I feel this way, but whenever Marriott tries to pitch "lifestyle" to me, it feels forced. It reminds me of when Buick hired Tiger Woods. Dude, they're still Buicks. By contrast, most "unique" Starwoods I'm in feel naturally trendy/cool. (Exception is Aloft...that brand is as artificial as it gets.) Le Meridien is usually hip without feeling like it's trying too hard.

Maybe Marriott should be comfortable with the fact that they do large business hotels very well and let Starwood handle the cool.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Any thoughts on how the one is at San Diego?
Here is a review from TUG.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.p.../#post-1967020
Old May 11, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Has anyone stayed at the Miami Beach Pulse?

I'm looking at options for a 1/1-1/2/2018 stay, and the Pulse is incredibly cheap, so much so that I'm wondering "what's the catch"?

Essentially trying to decide between this, the Marriott Biscayne, or the Marriott Stanton for a pre-cruise stay.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by jtp1947
Thanks for posting

While walking is not an issue for us; How is the area at night? I have three teens well two older teens and one tween traveling with us so they will likely be doing their thing too.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That's what I (cynically) thought as well. My wife and I attended a timeshare presentation at the Custom House many years ago and decided not to buy (thank goodness). Marriott rebranding that location as a "Pulse" just confirmed to me that they are diversifying into so many brands that are ultimately meaningless.

In fact, now that I think about, the door is wide open for the next CEO to come in and "revolutionize the lodging business" by consolidating all these countless, barely-differentiated brands into a much smaller set of brands with actual distinctions between them.
Marriott and Marriott Vacation Club are two separate companies.
Vacation club on has two brand regular and the rebranded urban locations. They adding Pulse locations since they are simple conversions of hotel properties. They created Pulse so folks would not expect Vacation club type amenities. Basically Pulse means No Pool, No Kitchen.

For Vacation Club owners it is nice addition, but I can not think of any reason for not Vacation Club folks to want to pay the premium to stay there.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I received a complimentary 4-night/5-day stay at the San Diego location to give an honest-unbiased review as a local MVC owner. Only stayed 3 nights, but overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Not sure I'd opt for a Pulse property over a FS/JW property, especially if I had to use MVC points. The SD location really reminded me of an AC-type property, more than anything else.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by UnderEst
I received a complimentary 4-night/5-day stay at the San Diego location to give an honest-unbiased review as a local MVC owner. Only stayed 3 nights, but overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Not sure I'd opt for a Pulse property over a FS/JW property, especially if I had to use MVC points. The SD location really reminded me of an AC-type property, more than anything else.
Do you recommend it for a family of five (3 teen boys)?

Not using points but paying cash
Old May 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do you recommend it for a family of five (3 teen boys)?

Not using points but paying cash
At least for the SD property, the cash rates are fairly competitive with other hotels in the area, so I'd recommend it. Family of 5 would be fine in most of their rooms.

If you're not looking for hotel entertainment (jacuzzi, pool, resort activities, etc.) it's perfectly fine.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by UnderEst
At least for the SD property, the cash rates are fairly competitive with other hotels in the area, so I'd recommend it. Family of 5 would be fine in most of their rooms.

If you're not looking for hotel entertainment (jacuzzi, pool, resort activities, etc.) it's perfectly fine.
thanks

the hotel entertainment is nice but definitely not having it is not a deal breaker either.

I agree based on what I've seen, this is very competitive from a price point
Old May 15, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you don't mind walking the location isn't bad... its not too far from the gaslamp district for the nightlife and restaurants.

One thing I heard is the parking situation is outrageous however, very limited for $35+ per day... Per their website:
Valet parking is available curbside on A Street by ACE Parking at $40 per day with in and out privileges, and self-parking is available in the Symphony Tower parking garage at $35 per day. The self-parking entrance is on Seventh Avenue and is a very tight corkscrew up from street level to Level 11.
It is shared with other businesses so during the week you can end up with the only option being the valet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.