Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transferring MR points to Airline Partners, especially AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

Hi all,

Going on an AA spending spree today before the March 22 devaluation takes effect. I'm ~25,000 AA miles short for my last redemption, so I looked into the transfer option and decided to transfer 70,000 MR points into AA points (I did the math...it's still a great redemption rate for MR points based on the award I have in mind). I called MR Platinum line because it said the transfer can take 'up to 6 weeks' but the GSA I spoke with said it should be instantaneous, though MR department isn't in on Sundays so I should call back tomorrow and ask for their help if they haven't deposited. I followed his advice and did the transfer, but an hour later, nothing's dropped into my AA account. Just for frame of reference, does anyone have experience transferring MR points to airline partners (bonus points for AA!)? If so, how long has it taken?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily AA specific (not enough data points on one airline to establish a a pattern), but in general, some people see it the next day (but that may not for requests made on Sunday? ), some people in about 3 business days, and then some other people have to wait weeks. So YMMV.

Boy, you sure did cut it close.

Is the AA devaluation really hitting you that bad that it's worth going through all this supreme (and high-risk) effort? Many destinations are only going up about 15%, and still ending up well under both UA and DL. I'm not saying there aren't some flights going up much more, but a lot of people seem to be "assuming" the devaluation is horrible because they didn't do their own personal reality check.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 20, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not necessarily AA specific (not enough data points on one airline to establish a a pattern), but in general, some people see it the next day (but that may not for requests made on Sunday? ), some people in about 3 business days, and then some other people have to wait weeks. So YMMV.

Boy, you sure did cut it close.

Is the AA devaluation really hitting you that bad that it's worth going through all this supreme (and high-risk) effort? Many destinations are only going up about 15%, and still ending up well under both UA and DL. I'm not saying there aren't some flights going up much more, but a lot of people seem to be "assuming" the devaluation is horrible because they didn't do their own personal reality check.
An F ticket from the US to Asia goes up from 67.5k to 110k one way which is a pretty steep increase. The people who redeem for CX/JL F are the hardest hit ones by the devaluation.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
An F ticket from the US to Asia goes up from 67.5k to 110k one way which is a pretty steep increase. The people who redeem for CX/JL F are the hardest hit ones by the devaluation.
Close. I was trying to book a CX F flight from New York to Vancouver, which will go up from 32.5k to 55k avios. That's a 70% increase, so yeah, I'd rather get it booked in before the devaluation.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by am13
Close. I was trying to book a CX F flight from New York to Vancouver, which will go up from 32.5k to 55k avios. That's a 70% increase, so yeah, I'd rather get it booked in before the devaluation.
Avios is BA, not AA. And Avios was devalued last year, not this month.

I already flew CX F LAX-HGK once "by accident" (an op-up after a mechanical delay of 24 hours), I don't feel the need to "waste" miles (even at the pre-deval level) by booking that cabin again. It was nice, yes, but not that much nicer than CX J (which is already very nice) that I'd feel the need to use up my miles more quickly by going for CX F instead of stretching my miles by "settling for" CX J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.