Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Starwood gets takeover bid of $76 a share from AnBang

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/14/starw...6-a-share.html

threatening the deal with Marriott.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Unsolicited offer announced by SPG.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/about/investor/news.html

Starwood has received a waiver from Marriott enabling it to engage in discussions with, and provide diligence information to, the Consortium in connection with its proposal. Starwood commenced discussions with the Consortium on March 11, 2016. The Marriott waiver expires at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on March 17, 2016.
Interesting thing is why Marriott would provide a waiver for SPG to even explore this. I recall seeing a no shop provision in the Marriott merger agreement (and a breakup fee).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Being discussed in detail in the Sale of Starwood thread. With the same comments by the same members....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/starwood-marriott-merger-may-fall-apart?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&ut m_content=56e6f89f04d30148e40efab5&utm_medium=true Anthem&utm_source=twitter

Found this just now.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I just read the thread over in the Starwood forum. I draw two conclusions:

- Marriott stands to get a $400M payout if the deal falls through, which isn't too shabby for not really doing much of anything.
- If the average Starwood guest is anything like some of the pompous, inflammatory folks on the Starwood forum, I'll be glad the deal falls through so they won't be staying in the same hotels as me.

Last edited by DJ_Iceman; Mar 14, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I just read the thread over in the Starwood forum.

- If the average Starwood guest is anything like some of the pompous, inflammatory folks on the Starwood forum, I'll be glad the deal falls through so they won't be staying in the same hotels as me.
Well if the Marriott deal does go through, it's going to be interesting when the SPG folk come to Marriott forum & complain. Gawd knows they're doing it enough on their own forum.

Plus besides the FTers, it will be interesting to see how the mods styles mesh. Ours is much more laid back (IMO). But both sides will be kept busy (although I think their side more because our forum is also more laidback in general).

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Interesting news.

That Starwood thread is enormous. Today's news begins on page 132.

Gary (View From the Wing) had a blog post earlier today that covered the financials. After reading that, it seems that the dollar value of the deal (the dollars per share that would go to Starwood shareholders) with the Chinese group is far greater than the deal with Marriott.

So I think the Marriott deal may be dead. Starwood will have to pay that $400 million penalty to back out. If Starwood sticks with the Marriott deal, a bunch of lawyers will file a class action lawsuit for way more than $400 million and allege that Starwood shortchanged its shareholders by accepting Marriott's lower price.

I'm loyal to both Marriott and SPG. I had stopped spending on my AmEx SPG card after the merger announcement because I wasn't sure what would become of those SPG points, but I think I'm going to resume using the SPG credit card. I would also suspect that this may be good news for American Express if it is able to hold on to the SPG AmEx.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:11 pm

Guess you didn't read some of the various investment banks thoughts on the alternate bid & what it means to Marriott/SPG. I wouldn't say the Chinese deal is a done deal. Not saying it isn't, but think your scenario isn't 100% - especially based on a blogger's thoughts (I know Gary btw - not a diss against him, but in general).

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well if the Marriott deal does go through, it's going to be interesting when the SPG folk come to Marriott forum & complain. Gawd knows they're doing it enough on their own forum.

Plus besides the FTers, it will be interesting to see how the mods styles mesh. Ours is much more laid back (IMO). But both sides will be kept busy (although I think their side more because our forum is also more laidback in general).

Cheers.
I see some of the difference due to MR abandoning FT (not to mention it's members) so of course there will be more on FT from the SPG members. I'll bet if you merged what Marriott Insiders has it will level out.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I see some of the difference due to MR abandoning FT (not to mention it's members) so of course there will be more on FT from the SPG members. I'll bet if you merged what Marriott Insiders has it will level out.
Nah, SPG has always been more active than Marriott. But Marriott FTers don't kvetch as much as SPG members from what I can tell. And the mods on that side aren't as laidback as Bruce is (a general observation, not specific criticism).

I figure if the Marriott/SPG merger goes through it will be more like UA/CO in terms of elites & the sniping & then a year or so later will settle down. (FWIW - I don't envy the mods on either side if the M/S merger happens. They're definitely going to be busy!).

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I guess it was premature to get an SPG Amex in hopes of boosting my MR lifetime points balance....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I think it's important to point out three things about Anbang, the potential acquirer:

1.) It just acquired Strategic Hotels (which owns 18 luxury properties including a bunch I've stayed at, a few RCs, a few FS', the IC in Chicago, etc.
2.) Anbang acquired Strategic just months after Blackstone acquired Strategic
3.) Anbang bought the Waldorf Astoria some two years ago

And an interesting footnote: last summer, Bill Gates tried to acquire Strategic.

I suspect Anbang knows what it's doing.

Above from:
Merger Interruptus: Chinese Consortium Outbids Marriott for Starwood

(The above appeared in FBT, where i serve as Ed.Dir.)
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:45 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I think that - possibly foolishly - all of us Starwood Platinums are thinking "it's got to be better than Marriott!"
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I expect if the alternative deal is better as reported, I think this is good news for SPG folks and for consumers keeping competition going.

I don't know of any MR folks who were thinking the deal was going to be really beneficial.

Will Marriott raise its offer or just take the breakup fee? I don't know, but I don't think Marriott can close on its existing offer without lots of lawsuits. I think this is why they allowed the discussion.

I do think it would be a bidding war if Marriott did push, but it might be a now or never feeling for the Marriott team to make this happen. Unless, the global economy has more issues and Marriott can buy a few years later at a discount. Clearly, the industry is thinking that won't happen.

Rasheed
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
- If the average Starwood guest is anything like some of the pompous, inflammatory folks on the Starwood forum...
A somewhat harsh description. When anything occurs that disrupts the status quo, there will almost always be conflict (and hyperbole statements is not uncommon in these situations). So I tend to give them a bit of slack in their venting.

Originally Posted by rasheed
I do think it would be a bidding war if Marriott did push,
It will be interesting to see how Marriott reacts. Don't forget, Marriott initially passed on bidding at all. They only came back later after it looked like no one else would and they could make a fairly low offer. So it could be that they will just take their $400 million and run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.