Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The issue is Marriott does not own/operate most of the properties. Giving away an upgrade they think they can sell is a tough decision for the franchisee. Knowing what is being "sold" as a benefit by corporate may not be communicated all the way down to the lowly FDCs.
This is kind of an invalid argument since most of the major chains (Hilton, IHG, etc.) don't own most of their properties. Most properties are franchisees. Some chains do better than others at automatically giving upgrades to elites. My two cents...

--Jon
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Who wants to be that guy begging for the perks to which you are supposed to be entitled?
Well, while you're afraid to open your mouth, I'm going to be going for the upgrade. I don't see what's so hard about asking?

The Marriott brand is pretty blah in comparison to other hotels at similar price point.
Not sure if I'm getting what you say here but when I was looking for long-term stays a few years back, the Marriott brand had the best prices and locations of any 1st-tier chain (at least in California), hands down- it's why I've (personally) spent tens of thousands of $$ with them.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Not sure if I'm getting what you say here but when I was looking for long-term stays a few years back, the Marriott brand had the best prices and locations of any 1st-tier chain (at least in California), hands down- it's why I've (personally) spent tens of thousands of $$ with them.
I didn't mean to totally knock Marriott. There's obviously a huge variety of travelers with different needs and levels of standards. In general, when I'm looking at short term stays in the cities I travel to--typically large global cities or emerging Asian cities--Marriotts barely factor into my consideration. There're usually higher quality independent boutique hotels or other chains that seem to respect status to a higher level (Hyatt, SPG and ShangriLa in my case). Location is also a huge factor in my decision process (either closer to my meetings or in a trendier part of town). This move by Marriott to link to United GS is their chance to score my business, but I have yet to see much reason to sway in their direction.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This move by Marriott to link to United GS is their chance to score my business, but I have yet to see much reason to sway in their direction.
What you seem to miss is that Marriott isn't trying to get your business. Your business is not its bread and butter. None of us are proselytizing for Marriott. It might not be the right choice for you. It was the right choice for me. Nobody is taking that personally. Everyone wants you to get the right choice for you.

But for my domestic US stays, I wouldn't choose Marriott. There are better chains for Asian and other global stays. It that's your norm, Marriott shouldn't be your choice. Marriott obviously see little advantage to going out of the way for someone like you while other chains do.

For those of us who may be in Kuala Lumpur one day and Altoona PA the next, Marriott makes more sense than Hyatt, ShangriLa or even SPG. And remember, many of us made the choice 15-20 years ago when the choices were more starkly different and are well towards or at LT status.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
What is typical of the room upgrade benefit? I've stayed at three Marriotts since my Platinum status, largely because i hope to see some upgrade perks, but I have had no noticeable upgrades (room sizes, or even floor heights or views).
In Asia, you should be getting a suite if one is available.

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-promo...ite-upgrade.mi

Your experiences in Asia seem unusual but perhaps they were busier than it appeared. The JW Marriott in Hong Kong normally upgrades to suites. I'm almost always upgraded internationally.

In the US, its hit or miss. I'm a Plat Premier with over 2000 LT nights. Some GM's of properties I visit often are proactive and regularly upgrade upfront before I arrive. (Shoutout to JW Marriotts in Miami, Beverly Hills Marriott, Waikiki Marriott, Mayflower Autograph). Others never upgrade despite dozens of stays (Shoutdown Denver Marriott City Center, Stamford Marriott). In many US Marriott properties, there aren't that many upgrades available beyond a higher floor. With 20-30 stays at SPG properties, I don't have a better upgrade rate with them. One difference is that at some SPG properties, they believe they are required to upgrade to a suite when available. I never see that attitude at Marriotts. Most, however, are the same as Marriott.

As for the right chain, I don't know. As others have said, some of us made decisions regarding brand loyalty many years ago. While I mostly travel on other people's money, they expect me to treat comply with travel policies so that rules out suites at the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. As another poster noted, I could be in Singapore or Pensacola so the options are really IHG, Hilton, or Marriott.

Marriott mostly does what it promises for elites, although it sometimes takes asking. AA almost always does what it promises without asking, and will often go beyond when asking. In contrast, Hertz almost never does what it promises and doesn't seem to care ... but that's another thread
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I moved to Marriott Gold from Silver last year and I've had about a dozen stays since. So far only one "upgraded" room and that was at a CY where I got a seating area. I don't count "upgrades" to the Club Floor that I'm entitled to.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I moved to Marriott Gold from Silver last year and I've had about a dozen stays since. So far only one "upgraded" room and that was at a CY where I got a seating area. I don't count "upgrades" to the Club Floor that I'm entitled to.
Even Plats (and PPs) have a tough time getting upgrades at Marriott properties. I found many times a subtle statement asking about a better room gets them to punch a few more buttons and a change of rooms. Sometimes that was a bad move if they had placed a gift in my original room (I've seen gifts for others in my new room, so just assuming).

I'm pretty sure Marriott properties do consider moving you to the Club Floor as an upgrade, even for Plats even if on a weekend when the CL is closed. Unless you booked a CL room in the first place, it would be an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.