Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott RewardsŪ points will now expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
The quick, easy method to keep points from expiring is just to buy 1,000 Marriott Rewards points for $12.50. Points deposit within a few hours. Might take a few days to reset the clock, although the reps can do it manually.
Buy Marriott Points

Transfer of points between Marriott & SPG do NOT extend the 2-year clock for the Marriott side.
Print Wikipost

Marriott RewardsŪ points will now expire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonian

I looked at my account. I redeemed points in March 2014 for a stay I had in November 2014.
I did not have any incidental charges on the Nov. 2014 folio.
My Account shows my "Last Qualifying Activity: 03/17/2014"
So, we need to make sure that we have an incidental charge when we stay on points. If I had, the Last Qualifying Activity date would have been moved up to November, per the T&C's.

So, now I know to do something before 3/17/2016, so my points won't expire, right?

From what has been posted point stays will qualify, so your Nov '14 stay should count and not the booking. Although there is plenty of time, you might send MR a message and ask for clarification. It could be an oversight right now.
Not sure if I agree with the above as the date of the points transaction is the last activity date. May be wrong of course!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:51 pm

If I'm reading this correctly miles transferred from Saphire ultimate rewards or earned on I dine will no longer extend the mileage. Is this right?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Comments like this are mind boggling. Do people not realize that a) every other program is 12 months and they've enforced it forever
This is absolutely not true. Hyatt points do not expire.

I had no activity in Hyatt for 10 years and my points did not expire the first time I walked away from Hyatt. Most recently, I had no activity in Hyatt from Feb. 2012 to Aug. 2014 (full 30 months), and my 40K points remained intact.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Not that it affects me, but another customer unfriendly move by Marriott. Yeah it's a small percentage of their customers affected by this, and yeah they are (usually) not their most important customers (but it is possible to take an assignment for 2 years in an area of the world that has no Marriotts); but this is unnecsesarily annoying.

Years ago, one of the reasons I stopped using Hiltons was because they zeroed out my account on points because of inactivity for a period (which was because of a series of disappointments with their inconsistent quality.)
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85

I had no activity in Hyatt for 10 years and my points did not expire the first time I walked away from Hyatt. Most recently, I had no activity in Hyatt from Feb. 2012 to Aug. 2014 (full 30 months), and my 40K points remained intact.
Nor do IHG points. Choice points expire at year end after the second year. So the statement that every other program's points expire after a year is just plain false.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:18 am

Hyatt points do not expire.
Sorry, was referring to all the major programs, except apparently IHG. Programs that have more than a handful of hotels in Europe. Hyatt is virtually useless, unless nearly all of your travel is in the US.

Last edited by JamesEaston; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:27 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:18 am

ihg points were given as an example of no expiry
They must have a big enough footprint to be considered a major program
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
We want to make you aware of a program policy announced today:

Starting February 1, 2016, members who do not have a qualifying activity in the prior 24 months will forfeit all accumulated points. If you have not engaged in a qualifying activity since January 31, 2014 you have until January 31, 2016 to do so before the policy is enforced.

We make it pretty easy to maintain active status in the Marriott Rewards program. Qualifying activities include:

• Make a paid (or redemption) stay at any of our 3,800+ participating hotels worldwide
• Redeem points
• Make a purchase through a Marriott Rewards credit card
• Earn points with one of our program partners
• Purchase points
• Hold a qualifying meeting or event through the Rewarding Events℠ program

The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Marriott Rewards program:

• Gifting or transferring points; however, converting Points to Miles or Miles to Points does count toward maintaining an active status
• Receiving points as a gift or transfer
• Earning points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints

For full details and updated terms, please visit:http://www.MarriottRewards.com/PointsPolicy
Not a big deal for me since I have the MR Visa and charge my monthly gym fee but then again, this is not a net positive for the program as a whole however I'm curious:

If one has their last qualifying activity on 1/30/2014 will they lose all their points on 2/1/16?

Originally Posted by sdsearch
At the site linked in post 1, it says:
Lifetime Status members are not affected by this change. However, Marriott Rewards reserves the right to change and modify Lifetime membership benefits at any time.
As LT status member I'm also fine this way but again, for the program as a whole, a net loss

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Luckily purchasing points still counts, so if someone really wants to keep their points but doesn't want to spend too much they can spend $12.50 every 2 years to buy 1,000 points.

Cheers.
beats the SPG prices of $17.50 for 500 points which I've had to buy each of the past two years since I've had no stays with them nor do I carry their card.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I don't think its that big of a deal. Its almost impossible not to have activity once every two years. Plus all of that record keeping for dormant accounts must have been a pain.

I am not an accountant, but wouldn't Marriott have to carry those points as a liability? They get to write them off now. Rightfully so.
IMHO, yeah but this is immaterial as far as their stock price goes

Comments like this are mind boggling. Do people not realize that a) every other program is 12 months and they've enforced it forever (!!) and most importantly:

b) all you have to freakin do is buy 1000 miles every 23 months, or stay one night or other almost meaningless things and this is a non issue.

Unless you're in a coma, if you can't do any one of the simple things they list every 23 months (and 29 days) then you deserve to lose your points.

its easy to forget, see my post above, I've had to buy 500 spg points each of the last two years but the only way I remember is I set a reminder on my phone. I'd never remember if I didn't do that

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I was thinking the same thing. When all of those points go *poof*, it will wipe out a bunch of liability on Marriott's balance sheet, making 1Q2016 look more profitable.

The C-suite is likely to look at other methods in the future to match those gains.

it's a non cash transaction, it doesn't help free cash flow, it doesn't it the Sales numbers, it doesn't even hit operating profit or margin, its already priced into the stock price; this really means nada from an financial perspective. It "might" mean incremental growth in the top line number but its nothing that they will truly be able to define for certain.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

beats the SPG prices of $17.50 for 500 points which I've had to buy each of the past two years since I've had no stays with them nor do I carry their card.
I typically redeem SPG points for at least 3x the value of Marriott redemptions, so it makes sense that you have to pay more for their points.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Nor do IHG points.
Yet...

the best defence against this is to have MR credit card (at least in the UK it doesn't have any fees attached, deposits 10 nights into your account and also ~2000 points each year on the date of card anniversary. if these 2000 are considered as qualifying activity, then the problem is solved

AX
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Like I needed another reason at this point to abandon Marriott. It's almost like they're determined to sabotage their own rewards program as much as humanly possible.
Although I share your basic sentiment about Marriott, no points activities in 2 full years IS pretty much abandoning the program.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Sorry, was referring to all the major programs, except apparently IHG. Programs that have more than a handful of hotels in Europe. Hyatt is virtually useless, unless nearly all of your travel is in the US.
My guess is that applies to the vast majority of Hyatt members.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by ehallison
I typically redeem SPG points for at least 3x the value of Marriott redemptions, so it makes sense that you have to pay more for their points.
I'm just trying to keep the account alive so I want the cheapest possible point purchase. When redeeming for such a small amount of points, its not the value that I get from the points, it's just the price I'm paying to keep the account alive, in this case, MR is a better deal.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:54 pm

Exclamation Marriott point expiration starting in 2016

Not sure how I missed this one (hope this isn't a repost)

From Marriott's website:
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re.../expiration.mi

Starting February 1, 2016, members who do not have qualifying activity in the prior 24 months will forfeit all accumulated points.

If you have not engaged in qualifying activity since January 31, 2014, you have until January 31, 2016 to do so before the policy is enforced.

The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Marriott Rewards program:

Gifting or transferring points
Receiving points as a gift or transfer
Earning points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints

* Lifetime Status members are not affected by this change. However, Marriott Rewards reserves the right to change and modify Lifetime membership benefits at any time.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ow-expire.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.