Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Housekeeper Saw Me Almost Naked...Correct Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

When I checked into the (otherwise very nice) Hotel Chicago last night, my room was not feather free, as I was told it would be. The very nice head housekeeper came to my room and corrected it very quickly. She asked if there was anything else she could do, so I told her that I did not need housekeeping services today. I have back-to-back Webinars today and would not want the interruption. She noted this on her clipboard.

I've been in the room all day working, with the DND sign out and one of the two doors bolted. I forgot there was a second door to bolt in this suite. I was finishing up a Webinar when I heard a key knocking loudly against the door: one of the ones with a DND sign. While rushing to get my customers off the line, "Thank you for your partnership with Brand X, this completes this session...." the housekeeper took it upon herself to barrel in the room, yapping in a high, loud voice. I was sitting in my underwear.

Rather than to apologize or high tail it out of the room, this twit started asking something. In my loudest grizzly voice, I growled, "GET OUT! GET OUT!" She stared at me for a few seconds, realized I was serious and ran down the hallway.

On the one hand, the terror she felt when I was yelling at her might be enough to teach her not to do that again. Not to mention having to see me in my Jockeys. The hotel manager was mortified and asked what he could do. First and foremost, I requested she not be anywhere I might see her for the next couple days. I don't need to see the woman who walked in on me in my skivvies. He asked about points or such, I usually just want the problem corrected.

What would be the correct compensation for this? The hotel broke its promise and ignored the DND sign. She was, at first, knocking on the door with the latch, so she chose to move to the second door when it didn't open. If she would have checked with the front desk, they would have told her I lunch delivered 90 minutes earlier. Usually, when the DND sign is up, they slip a note under the door or call. She did neither. She just barreled in

Thoughts?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
So you were holding a webinar in your underwear !! Interesting
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
So you were holding a webinar in your underwear !! Interesting
It's the one benefit of not having to turn the cameras on: I can wear what I want. Of course, I've learned to keep a piece of tape over the camera hole on the computer, just in case.

Seriously, I have a week's worth of stuff, plus lots of equipment, jammed into a carryon, on a week where I'll be in FL and IL. My winter coat, scarf, hat and gloves has to also fit in the suitcase, so I'm not going to get a pair of pants dirty sitting alone in a hotel room doing Webinars. I've only got two pairs of casual pants and one pair of suit pants. (Yes, I'll wear them to four different customer sites this week.)

But that's not the point. I should be able to sit in my underwear in my hotel room with the DND sign up when I've gotten assurance from housekeeping that they'll stay out of my room today!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Then you have been compensated by the hotel, assurances that it 'should' not happen again while you are in residence...

If they offered points, take the points and forget about it, think of the story you have to impart at the next drinking party!

;-)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What would be the correct compensation for this? The hotel broke its promise and ignored the DND sign. She was, at first, knocking on the door with the latch, so she chose to move to the second door when it didn't open. If she would have checked with the front desk, they would have told her I lunch delivered 90 minutes earlier. Usually, when the DND sign is up, they slip a note under the door or call. She did neither. She just barreled in

Thoughts?
Pay her $100? That would probably be sufficient.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I already had this story. This is not the first time a housekeeper has walked in on me. This time, though, it was egregious. She ignored the written notice (I now know it was where she saw it) the DND sign and less intrusive measures, like calling on slipping a note. What I really want is for her to calmly, politely apologize directly.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the property offers something, take it. Otherwise, move on. Funny story to be remembered as such.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Get over it - no compensation is due in my view. Too many people forget and leave the DND sign on when they check out, so many times the housekeepers need to knock and check.

If this concerns you too much - then be dressed during the day while you are working in the hotel. Your underwear shows no more than being in a bathing suit at the beach.

At least you were not completely naked, and maybe doing some else by yourself as well.

Last edited by cova; Dec 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

What are you going to compensate them for seeing you naked?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
S!?t happens ... Let it go !!! No compensation due
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 4getofn
S!?t happens ... Let it go !!! No compensation due
Being in shorts is no different then swiming in a bathing suit, some have even less material then a pair of underwear (why if its a single short do with call it a pair of shorts )

OP if you go swimming completely covered up head to toes, Id agree with you. Otherwise no real harm was done , with the exception that the dnd wasnt adhered to. Id bring it up but wouldnt have asked them to remove the housekeeper from anywhere I could she her. Now if you always wear a burka you have a strong point. I just would have asked that the dnd be adhered to be it with my room or anyone elses
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
OP if you go swimming completely covered up head to toes, Id agree with you. Otherwise no real harm was done , with the exception that the dnd wasnt adhered to. Id bring it up but wouldnt have asked them to remove the housekeeper from anywhere I could she her. Now if you always wear a burka you have a strong point. I just would have asked that the dnd be adhered to be it with my room or anyone elses
Yeah, it's been YEARS (maybe 20) since anyone has seen me in a bathing suit. Or, for that matter, without a shirt. I do wear shorts, but we're talking the long kind. I really don't want people to see me like that. I certainly don't want to see her again, as she saw me like that. Honestly, while you and others indicate it's no worse than a bathing suit, I've made the choice not to be seen in a bathing suit.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:34 pm

First and foremost, I requested she not be anywhere I might see her for the next couple days. I don't need to see the woman who walked in on me in my skivvies.
What I really want is for her to calmly, politely apologize directly.
Sorry, but you are saying two different things. What you are asking for is a direct apology given and it to be direct. On the other hand, you are saying you don't want to see her? I'm confused, what do you want?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dank0014
Sorry, but you are saying two different things. What you are asking for is a direct apology given and it to be direct. On the other hand, you are saying you don't want to see her? I'm confused, what do you want?
Just for clarification, this wasn't the housekeeper cleaning the rooms. This was the lead housekeeper for the day. She wasn't dressed in a uniform. She was dressed in black, with a nametag. This was the person the housekeeper called to ask about the DND sign. The housekeeper cleaning the rooms knew the room should not be entered and acted correctly. This was the person she called in who ignored the notes and DND sign. This is someone who should have known better.

I want her to apologize then disappear. I don't want to be walking down the hallway and see her looking at me. I want to know she knows she did something wrong and I want to hear her remorse, but then I want her away from the hotel so I don't have to be reminded that she walk in on me.

That's what I want. Since I know she is too clueless to understand what she did was wrong or she would have chosen a different course of action (as the manager pointed out, she should have called or put a note under the door, but chose to do the lazy thing without thinking someone who put out the DND sign might not want her in the room) I'll take just not seeing her.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended

who cares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.