Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott adopting more restrictive cancellation policy in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott adopting more restrictive cancellation policy in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
I made a bunch of back to back weekly reservations in November for January & February 2015 travel at a normally DOA cancellation policy FS hotel. Pretty sure DOA was on the reservations. They now seem to be magically changed to 1 day before. Any one else see that or I'm I imagining this?
I had 8 reservations made last year right before the change showed up here, and all of them are showing the same as from my confirmation e-mails.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Just checked my corp travel site and tons of Marriott's still exist there in large cities but rarely anything in the small cities.

No one from Marriott has any comments about this change? I haven't read or saw anything on it.

First time I get charged because of missed flight or change of plans last minute I am out and off the SPG. I am LP and enjoy Marriott but it's a two way street. For a $200 cancel fee they will lose customers for 1000's of nights and bad news. Not worth it IMO.
Suggest you post that on Insiders. But I'm a bit confused on the large/small city. That sounds more like your own corp making decision. BTW - I thought I read that SPG has a similar day before policy, so before you jump ship you might want to check that the other ship doesn't have the same problem.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
If Airlines can waive change fees so can hotels for their best clients. What I a fear is them starting to charge you if you check out earlier than scheduled.
A Leela (5* hotel chain in India) hotel tried to do this to me. Plans changed and I had to leave early. They wanted to charge me for the full stay since I had a "special rate". A chat with the manager and they ended up not charging me.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
Ugh. As I expected, almost all of the Marriotts in our travel portal have been moved to "non compliant" as of Jan 1 due to the cancel policy. (A recent query of the entire Washington DC area turned up one Spring Hill Suites with a 6PM cancel.) Apparently our company, which is rather large, wasn't large enough to keep a 6PM cancel attached to our corporate rate code.

If I badly want a Marriott, I can probably still get it through an exception process. But without that, it's mostly Starwoods, Hyatts, and Fairmonts - with the occasional Hilton mixed in.

I've enjoyed Starwood and won't mind going back to them, but I had hoped to do 1 to 2 more years of solid Marriott travel to lock up LT Plat. That's now going to be a slower trek...
It will be interesting to see if Marriott makes any changes to this new policy based on experiences similar to this,or if they feel they will gain more revenue by abandoning the frequent traveler in favor of capturing cancellation fees from the general public.
Personally, I know that the first time I encounter a property that is unwilling to waive the fee if circumstances beyond my control occur, Marriott will move pretty close to the bottom of my choices.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I am "lucky" that I won't have problems with submitting cancellation fees on my expense report. Company I work for would prefer I use pre-paid websites to begin with for some reason. I just don't like the roulette of priceline.com. On the other hand I am LT Plat so it opens options for me, especially in NYC as it seems that even FFI in LIC is getting pretty pricey on certain days in $250+ range.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Suggest you post that on Insiders. But I'm a bit confused on the large/small city. That sounds more like your own corp making decision. BTW - I thought I read that SPG has a similar day before policy, so before you jump ship you might want to check that the other ship doesn't have the same problem.

Cheers.
you are correct, Starwood does have a similar policy
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't think I have ever had any Marriott hotel charge me for a reservation I missed due to flight delays/changes. I've always called the hotel up, let them know the issue and even if it was very late in the evening, they had no problems canceling or changing my reservation.
I spend 150+ nights / year in hotels (169 in 2014) and have never had any hotel chain charge me when flight problems cause me to not make it somewhere, never, not once. They always waive the cancellation penalty and cancel my reservation with no charge. I have even had pre-paid, no-cancel rates completely refunded. Of course if I'm staying at a Marriott and need to cancel I almost always stay at a Marriott property in whichever city I end up in...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by socrates
the reservation system captures all changes and the policy that was in effect at the time the reservation was made however the change in policy was announced quite a while ago, Marriott put the change in place around the time you made your reservations for arrivals starting 1/1 so it's possible you made your reservations after the announced changes but again the system would have captured it (I don't see hotels manually going through making the changes, the time involved would make it an idiotic task)
From online as of today:
Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 8, 2015 (1 day[s] before arrival).

From the reservation email dated 11/17/14:
Rate and Cancellation Details Rate and Cancellation Details
• Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change.
• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until 06:00 PM hotel time on Monday, February 9, 2015.

So I'm not going crazy (yet!)

From this week, REN FL Tampa (large city) 1 day before, Gadsen, AL FI (small town), 6pm DOA.

Marriott is really starting to irk me on many fronts...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I sent a note of complaint to Marriott and recommend others follow suit.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I'm steering away from Marriott, even for leisure travel. Impromptu weekends are less impromptu with this restriction.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
I spend 150+ nights / year in hotels (169 in 2014) and have never had any hotel chain charge me when flight problems cause me to not make it somewhere, never, not once. They always waive the cancellation penalty and cancel my reservation with no charge. I have even had pre-paid, no-cancel rates completely refunded. Of course if I'm staying at a Marriott and need to cancel I almost always stay at a Marriott property in whichever city I end up in...
You mean you haven't had that problem to date . Now that Marriott has changed its cancel policy you might (as ky soldier encountered when she tried to cancel due to flight issues a few posts above).

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Now that Marriott has changed its cancel policy you might...
Unfortunate, but definitely possible. The winds of change seem to be blowing strong right now.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The hotel business, like the travel business in general, is cyclical. If the chains do not back down in the next downturn, I expect a lot of leisure travelers to book hotels at last minute. The revenue managers may end up having half of their rooms booked two days before arrival. I have decided to not book rooms for day of arrival on trips. I would rather pick another hotel than have to explain why I should get a waiver. I am not going to buy travel insurance for this.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
You mean you haven't had that problem to date . Now that Marriott has changed its cancel policy you might (as ky soldier encountered when she tried to cancel due to flight issues a few posts above).

Cheers.
Didn't have an issue canceling a reservation for tonight due to the potential blizzard in NY. I called the hotel directly who transferred me to customer service where I was put on hold, so I hung up and called the Platinum line. I specifically asked if I would be charged anything and they said no I had until 6:00 PM, so maybe it is actually an elite benefit? (or maybe the rep just wasn't aware of the new rule).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Didn't have an issue canceling a reservation for tonight due to the potential blizzard in NY. I called the hotel directly who transferred me to customer service where I was put on hold, so I hung up and called the Platinum line. I specifically asked if I would be charged anything and they said no I had until 6:00 PM, so maybe it is actually an elite benefit? (or maybe the rep just wasn't aware of the new rule).
Or maybe because it's a massive storm that's impacting the entire northeast, the Marriott reps are aware of it/there's an internal exemption (similar to the airlines allowing rebooking & waiver of change fee for the same storm)?

We had a report up thread where someone had to cancel due to flight cancellation (not this storm & not in northeast) & the hotel held firm to the new cancel policy.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.