Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

FALSE RUMOR: Marriott to restrict access to international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Let me start off by saying this is just speculation and potentially a rumor. I was talking with a Marriott GM in UK, and he was stating that beginning January 1, 2015, all lounge access for elites will be closed at international Marriott hotels (outside U.S.).

I took this as complete crap, but he was very adamant and said notification came out in late September on this from corporate. So I of course sent a message to Marriott, and received the note back that basically said Marriott continually evaluates the services for guests, including lounge access, and are subject to change at any time.

They didn't quite answer my question, but they didn't say it wasn't happening. Anyone hearing anything?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Hopefully not true.

If it were, i would be done with Marriott.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Nope.. I would be looking closely at who offers status matches if it is so..
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Then what would they do - only charge for lounge access? With Marriott giving all United Premier Gold and above Marriot Gold status with lounge access - there are too many people.

If this is true, Marriott would be following UA with anti-customer tactics.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Okay, so not close the lounges, but remove lounge access as a benefit for elites. Not a big fan of the thread title.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could go the Hilton model. Golds get lounge only if upgraded to CL, Plats get it always.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dank0014
RUMOR: Marriott to close all international lounges
I took this [rumor] as complete crap
Asked and answered.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They could go the Hilton model. Golds get lounge only if upgraded to CL, Plats get it always.
Note that Hilton golds not upgraded to rooms with lounge access, can still opt for comped breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
Note that Hilton golds not upgraded to rooms with lounge access, can still opt for comped breakfast in the restaurant.
And I can see the current 750 or continental breakfast being rolled out to more than just weekends. They have been laying the groundwork for restricting lounge access for awhile- whittling down the guests, etc.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
There are some lounges which are so small or inadequately staffed, or poorly provisioned, or all of the above (are you listening Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview?), that a comped trip to the restaurant for breakfast instead of to the lounge, would be the proverbial blessing in disguise.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Let me start off by saying this is just speculation and potentially a rumor. I was talking with a Marriott GM in UK, and he was stating that beginning January 1, 2015, all lounge access for elites will be closed at international Marriott hotels (outside U.S.).
Bollocks
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cova
Then what would they do - only charge for lounge access? With Marriott giving all United Premier Gold and above Marriot Gold status with lounge access - there are too many people.

If this is true, Marriott would be following UA with anti-customer tactics.
If this rumor was due to the influx of UA elites (of which I am one) then why would it be targeted at international properties and not US domestic ones?

To say that international props would limit access becasue of UA elites makes no sense.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Bollocks
^^^^

If this true.. bye bye Marriott. Although if it is indeed for lounges in the US, I don't really care since I have never found them to be nice and comfortable. But the international ones do matter.

Hope this is just some cucumber news..

Cheers!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I do doubt the competence of Marriott staff quite so often but they are not so stupid their solution to overcrowded US lounges would be to limit access to lounges outside of US.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Lounge access is the main reason we are sticking with Marriott - if it's gone, then we'll definitely staying somewhere else. Some US lounges we have been are very nice - very international standard (don't know if there is anything to do with the fact that we don't drink).

I hope it's just a rumor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.