Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hnewman
How do you search for the contractor rate? As a contractor with a contractor ID I am having the same problem finding rates within per diem.
When I book a government rate, I always click on the rate rules/details because I know that they can differ. If you see two different lines for a federal government rate (for exactly the same room, etc.), chances are that the rate rules for one will allow contractors. Be sure to click on the right rate and print the rate rules in case someone challenges you later.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Gov't rate threads make roll-over threads look easy

Cheers
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by plagwate
It's Marriott's choice whether they want to be flexible on this or not. I realize that. But frankly, I don't see why they should risk the loss of business when contractors' hands are tied on the room rates they can book.
It's because travel is up, as are room rates, and hotels aren't having to discount as much as they did in recent years past. Marriott still wants to respect and attract the government/military traveler, but doesn't want to sell too many rooms at a rate well below what the going market rate would dictate. If contractors take up all of those discounted rooms, then the intended customer can't.

So I don't really think Marriott is risking losing much business. As others have pointed out in this thread, Marriott has long had the loosest enforcement of their government rate policies of any major chain. As a contractor, you'll likely have no more luck successfully booking and staying on government per diem rates anywhere else. As you alluded in your own posts, it probably just means you'll end up staying at limited-service Marriott properties where the going rate isn't higher than the GSA per diem anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The point is, the payment for the room is coming from the same taxpayer coffers.
No, a government employee's room is paid by the government; a contractor's room is paid for by a for-profit business. A contractor's room expense subsequently may be reimbursed by the government.

The government doesn't care where the contractor stays and often doesn't care what rate is paid. Its and the taxpayer's interest is in what amount is reimbursed, per the contract.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by dayone
The government doesn't care where the contractor stays and often doesn't care what rate is paid.
This has not been my experience on contracts with many agencies. They do care what rate is paid and you must be within per diem even if your company will pay the difference.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I book a government rate, I always click on the rate rules/details because I know that they can differ. If you see two different lines for a federal government rate (for exactly the same room, etc.), chances are that the rate rules for one will allow contractors. Be sure to click on the right rate and print the rate rules in case someone challenges you later.

Thank you I never knew this and never clicked the government rate as I knew I was not entitled to it as a contractor. Thank you fellow MSP citizen

Last edited by hnewman; Oct 2, 2014 at 6:11 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
It's because travel is up, as are room rates, and hotels aren't having to discount as much as they did in recent years past. Marriott still wants to respect and attract the government/military traveler, but doesn't want to sell too many rooms at a rate well below what the going market rate would dictate. If contractors take up all of those discounted rooms, then the intended customer can't.

So I don't really think Marriott is risking losing much business. As others have pointed out in this thread, Marriott has long had the loosest enforcement of their government rate policies of any major chain. As a contractor, you'll likely have no more luck successfully booking and staying on government per diem rates anywhere else. As you alluded in your own posts, it probably just means you'll end up staying at limited-service Marriott properties where the going rate isn't higher than the GSA per diem anyway.
We have no problem staying at limited-service properties and typically do so (FI, SHS, CY). I'm not sure where it's been suggested that we stay in full-service properties. Perhaps that's been an assumption on your part because that's certainly not the case. When I refer to Marriott, I'm speaking of the entire family of brands. As for the going rate being competitive with the GSA per-diem, it is extremely rare to find rates in line with with that, even at limited-service properties.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:17 am

As for the going rate being competitive with the GSA per-diem, it is extremely rare to find rates in line with with that, even at limited-service properties.
Same here. Occasionally a AAA rate works to get to GSA rates in DC area and San Diego, but never near LAX or SJC (and yes I have a AAA card)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by hnewman
This has not been my experience on contracts with many agencies. They do care what rate is paid and you must be within per diem even if your company will pay the difference.
Exactly. This is the point that some on this thread keep missing. I even have clients who insist on seeing "GOVT RATE" on the room receipt when we submit with our invoice. Otherwise they throw out the expense and it holds up the entire invoice from being paid. Those aren't our rules. They're the government clients'.

Originally Posted by dayone
No, a government employee's room is paid by the government; a contractor's room is paid for by a for-profit business. A contractor's room expense subsequently may be reimbursed by the government.

The government doesn't care where the contractor stays and often doesn't care what rate is paid. Its and the taxpayer's interest is in what amount is reimbursed, per the contract.
It's really easy to sit back and equate contractors and consultants with big $$$ but that's not always the case. There are a number of small businesses and DBEs out there who do not have the fat profit margins of the multinational conglomerates. We're not all Halliburton. Whether a room is paid for directly by the government client or is paid through reimbursement, it's still the client (in this case, the government) who's ultimately footing the bill. As a taxpayer, I would hope you would want your government to ensure that they are getting the greatest value, even down to directly reimbursed expenses.

Frankly, I don't understand your passion over this issue. Unless you've been a government contractor (or managed a government contract), you're really in no position to speak on what a government client's expectations are. I live this month by month and only spoke up to let the OP (and others in similar situations) know they are not alone and shed a little light on the contractual constraints in which many of us have to travel.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:18 am

Frankly, I don't understand your passion over this issue. Unless you've been a government contractor (or managed a government contract), you're really in no position to speak on what a government client's expectations are. I live this month by month and only spoke up to let the OP (and others in similar situations) know they are not alone and shed a little light on the contractual constraints in which many of us have to travel.
+1. I am a small business with 10 people doing specialized consulting. plagwate Perfectly said. Thank you.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
This is good to know for my future travels.

I'm in the weird situation that I end up serving on federal advisory committees a couple times a year. So I don't have any ID, but I have been informed by the agency that arranges it that we are acting directly as federal employees (since the committees are congressionally chartered), and that we are eligible for government hotel rates.

They have offered to provide a letter that establishes my eligibility. Do you think the hotels would hassle me over that?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by astroflyer
They have offered to provide a letter that establishes my eligibility. Do you think the hotels would hassle me over that?
I have had letters before and they do not help at least the places I have stayed in DC area, MS, and CA
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by astroflyer
While it's not government rate specific, we have a customer in NYC that has a spectacular rate at a FS. In order to get the rate, the customer has to send a letter to the hotel ahead of time. It seems like a pretty standard procedure each time, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be possible to do the same for a government rate, with the government agency sending the letter ahead of time.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It seems like a pretty standard procedure each time, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be possible to do the same for a government rate, with the government agency sending the letter ahead of time.
It has never worked for me as they say I am a contractor not a Federal Employee
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not a new issue. My husband was on a contract about 7 years ago and travelling regularly to do work at bases in Germany and Japan. Also not at a huge company. Had a CAC card, orders, and directions from the Army to NOT stay at anything other than per diem rates. Marriott would not give per diem rates. His contracting officer at the army would tell him "they have to, just show them the orders" he'd tell her they won't, she'd say that have to.

He so doesn't miss that job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.