Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just Made Platinum (from Gold), best perks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott & Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver

I have been gold elite for a few years, have loved the lounge access and occasional upgrades at times. Successfully the completed the taste of Platinum challenge, what are your thoughts on the best perks as a Platinum?

Primarily travel from leisure with my wife, I'd say mainly Marriotts, Courtyards, and SpringHills, occasionally Renaissances and Fairfields.

^
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Lots of posts already on this discussing the lack of additional benefits as Platinum. More points has been the general consensus as I recall.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SBarny

Primarily travel from leisure with my wife, I'd say mainly Marriotts, Courtyards, and SpringHills, occasionally Renaissances and Fairfields.
There's really not much to give you w/ SHS & FIs. CYs maybe an upgrade;still no brekkie. Possible better chance of upgrade at Marriotts & Ren as Plat than Gold.

You get Plat Arrival Gift. In the US/Canada it's 500 pts or $10 Food & Beverage coupon; Int'ly it's 500 points or a food/beverage gift (wine, cheese plates, ice cream, fruit plates, that type of thing), 50% bonus points on $ spend, & Plat override if a hotel is fully booked.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Some of the elite "guarantees" like bed and room types or walking you to another hotel have more benefits (i.e it will cost them more to walk you as a Plat than virtually anybody else.)

There is also the Plat 48 hour room guarantee which can be nice.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
More points is the best one. It adds up. I don't see that many upgrades, honestly.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
At Courtyards, Plats receive 400 MR points and a Food or beverage item from the Market, or a tall Starbucks from the Bistro when it is open. (Instituted by Marriott earlier this year to make up for the fact the CYs no longer offer free coffee in the lobby.)

Other than the Platinum Arrival Amenity, and the additional bonus points, you probably won't notice a whole lot of difference in terms of rooms or upgrades, at least at US based Marriotts.

The 48hour Reservation Guarantee (Platinum Override) used to be a good benefit, but lately more and more hotels are getting exemptions from Marriott HQ for Special Events.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen more or less override availability. That would be a tough thing for an individual to judge.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
About the only valuable benefit is one you might not even know you're getting - Platinum Overrides. I found out a few years ago that I was getting those a lot more frequently than I imagined. There's nothing on the website that says you're getting a room because of the override, so you may end up getting into sold-out hotels and not even aware of it.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:23 pm

Depends on where you are going. US = don't expect much.

I got about $1600 in room upgrades in London and Paris for my 2 night cash bookings. I doubt I would have gotten as good an upgrade for being Gold.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
May not matter to many others, but the United MileagePlus Silver status is a plus for me, as I no longer fly as much as I used to. (Of course, UA MP Golds have it much better getting MR Gold status.) But, it's a benefit that actually is useful for some.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by valor155
More points is the best one. It adds up. I don't see that many upgrades, honestly.
+1 on this. As someone who is close to Lifetime Plat, extra points is the only reason I am pursuing it. MileagePlus Silver is relatively useless from my perspective, and who knows how long that will be around. The other incremental benefits live somewhere in the ether. Let's run down the list:

• Upgrades - (huh, what?)
  • Platinum Phone Line - (staffed with the same people as the other lines)
  • Arrival Gift (see extra points noted above)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.