Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Women only floors

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Definitely other chains, both luxury and normal mid-range full service properties.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Definitely other chains, both luxury and normal mid-range full service properties.
Im trying to compile a list of examples not mentioned in the other articles in this thread for a story I am doing. Anyone know of any, and what benefits were provided there?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im trying to compile a list of examples not mentioned in the other articles in this thread for a story I am doing. Anyone know of any, and what benefits were provided there?
The examples that I recall off the top of my head would be the former StR (now Hongta, Starwood LC) in Shanghai and the Sheraton at MUC. In addition, there's a hotel in Quebec City that's slightly outside of the old wall, in a big modern building that looks over some historical field or park and some government buildings. I want to guess that it's a Loew's but I'm not confident that my recollection is correct.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wow, female floor in the US. Could it be that there are a lot of female business travellers from places where they have female only floors?

I know that is a norm in Japan - I even saw in a local tourism leaflet saying a bar that 'female will feel safe there'. My thought was like, 'what's wrong with the other bars?'

In a lot of car parks in Germany they have "lady parking" which is usually located close to an exit.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Wow, female floor in the US. Could it be that there are a lot of female business travellers from places where they have female only floors?

I know that is a norm in Japan - I even saw in a local tourism leaflet saying a bar that 'female will feel safe there'. My thought was like, 'what's wrong with the other bars?'

In a lot of car parks in Germany they have "lady parking" which is usually located close to an exit.
DFW is in Texas; it's not the same as the USA. <ducking quickly now, please don't throw anything at me yet>
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:31 am

Does a woman only floor makes it safer or more dangerous or does it really matter? Shouldn't all floors be equally safe. It is not like anyone is sharing a common bath or would leave doors open.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Does a woman only floor makes it safer or more dangerous or does it really matter? Shouldn't all floors be equally safe. It is not like anyone is sharing a common bath or would leave doors open.
OT but you'd be surprised at how may people do leave their hotel room doors open.

I'm not sure all of the hotels claim that their women's floors are more secure. Some of them are (for example, in that they require a key card in the elevator), but at the expense of everyone knowing that women are occupying these rooms.

Other hotels seem to market these more expensive rooms as having perks to appeal to women, such as more hangers, better toiletries, pastel colors, a different room service menu or different minibar contents, etc. I find it somewhat offensive.

I'm not aware of an example with a separate lounge or separate health club facilities (although one sees this, including separate pool hours, in some hotels in Israel, while some middle eastern hotels would have separate restaurant areas for women and families).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:26 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The concept seems like gender discrimination to me.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My memory is that Hyatt was an early adopter of women-only floors in the US. The concept never caught on. Many moons ago, I stayed at at least two Marriotts that also tried it.

Last edited by dayone; Nov 30, 2015 at 3:23 pm Reason: Clarity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.