Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

False Rumor: Marriott Rewards Insiders Speculating About Changes Coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

False Rumor: Marriott Rewards Insiders Speculating About Changes Coming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by cfischer
there is always some level of truth to these rumors.
No there isn't. I can make up a crazy rumor that a guy in the know told me that MR is adding 5 more levels, to differentiate between loyal customers. See, I just did. Let's see if it happens.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK...it was a rumor but not all listed was bad, right?

It actually would make sense to have a published PP level which, like it already somewhat is, is somewhat related to revenue, right?

It would be nice to have different options like free parking, right?

It would be nice if the lounges are less crowded, right? Maybe change the UA thing (both ways) to number of PQM/PQD/PQS/Nights added when certain levels are achieved in the other program (e.g. every 25,000 PQM on UA gets you 12 free elite nights on Marriott) instead of a flat elite status?

None of the devaluation is good, of course.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
there is always some level of truth to these rumors.
I guess that's true; from 0% to 100%. Usually closer to 0.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Yikes. Haven't floated into the Marriott forum in a few days, so this is my first time seeing this.

Scary.

I understand removing CL access for Golds, given the extreme overcrowding at many properties and the UA offer exploding the ranks. But no CL access for Plats without a room upgrade? I mean, I'm almost always upgraded to a CL room, but if I have to worry about the chance of not having access, I'm happy taking my 75-100 nights in FS properties elsewhere.

Only time will tell.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Yikes. Haven't floated into the Marriott forum in a few days, so this is my first time seeing this.

Scary.

I understand removing CL access for Golds, given the extreme overcrowding at many properties and the UA offer exploding the ranks. But no CL access for Plats without a room upgrade? I mean, I'm almost always upgraded to a CL room, but if I have to worry about the chance of not having access, I'm happy taking my 75-100 nights in FS properties elsewhere.

Only time will tell.
LOL

You obviously didn't read the whole thread which should be retitled to start with "False Rumor:..."
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
No there isn't. I can make up a crazy rumor that a guy in the know told me that MR is adding 5 more levels, to differentiate between loyal customers. See, I just did. Let's see if it happens.
o.k., let's see what 2017 brings to MR Glad there are no changes planned for 2015
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Then you better say it on Insiders because Marriott doesn't reply on FT any longer.

Cheers.
Fixed your post. They most certainly read FT...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hey folks,

I apologize for the lateness of this posting, as well as the lack of presence on the site. I see that someone has already copy/pasted the response on "Insiders", but just so it's officially from Marriott:

There are no changes planned to Elite benefits. There is nothing hidden in these words – we have no devaluation of Elite benefits in the discussion, planning or execution phase. No ‘later this spring’ announcement of any kind planned. No new levels. No changes to concierge lounge access. No “Delta” model.

We will announce our annual award category changes next week. No new category.

Yes, you can quote me! We’d prefer to have something on the boards as early today as possible to contain the weekend ‘swirl’.
Glad there are no reductions in benefits for now besides the yearly cat increases. Now here is to hoping the Visa cert will be changed from 1-5 to 1-6
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Not letting Platinums in unless they have a room on the Concierge Floor would be devastating. I would say about 75% of the times I stay somewhere there is no room on the CL floor at check in.

What would be the remaining benefits for a platinum?

I completely see this making sense for Golds especially now there are thousands of newly minted ones via United.
+1 AGREED. This change would badly hurt later check-in-ers like me. I frequently arrive late and CL is completely full up (or so they tell me).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by OU812
This thread (http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/15140 starting at post #15 or so) on MR Insiders is abuzz with speculation about major changes coming to MR. Changes being discussed include addition of a category 10 and another devaluation of points; gold access to CL being discontinued; formal announcement of PP requirements and additional PP benefits; and retooling the elite qualification model to include hotel spend instead of or in additional to nights stayed.

Hopefully, most of this is just speculation. But MR has not announced any category changes for 2014 yet. The last time they waited this long was 2009 where they announced right after the Freddies and we saw a major devaluation then. So I am a little worried....

Regards,

RIP...
FYI - I've been assured any new information regarding the program will be posted both here (FT) and the Rewards Insider forums as soon as a release is made....

Please do not read anything more into my post other than what I've said (and the internal information I've seen is exactly as the Concierge has stated - so anyone expecting big changes (ala Delta) will be pleasantly surprised)
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
All the talk about awarding status to UAers got me thinking. I suppose the issue I have with these programs is that there is no incentive to earn future status. I'd be much happier with these cross-marketing ideas if they were essentially a one-year status challenge as a way to get new customers. So if that somebody is gifted elite and wants to, they can stay enough over the year to earn status. And if they don't, they don't get renewed the following year. But if you can be assured of Gold, why earn it the hard way? If they're going to reign in the costs of unearned benefits, they need to regear these programs. IMO, it's not the earned benefits causing problems. It's all of MR's self inflicted wounds.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hey folks,

I apologize for the lateness of this posting, as well as the lack of presence on the site. I see that someone has already copy/pasted the response on "Insiders", but just so it's officially from Marriott:

There are no changes planned to Elite benefits. There is nothing hidden in these words – we have no devaluation of Elite benefits in the discussion, planning or execution phase. No ‘later this spring’ announcement of any kind planned. No new levels. No changes to concierge lounge access. No “Delta” model.

We will announce our annual award category changes next week. No new category.

Yes, you can quote me! We’d prefer to have something on the boards as early today as possible to contain the weekend ‘swirl’.
Nice to see you back. I thought you forgot your PW. Your input is valuable to us loyal Marriott clients.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Fixed your post. They most certainly read FT...
You're new to FT so you don't have the experience those of us who have been around for several years have wrt MarriottConcierge.

MarriottConcierge used to participate in the Marriott forum on a regular basis, although MC didn't have the authority that SPG gives to its folk on FT. However, Drew & other MC staff were helpful.

That basically trickled down to almost nothing since Marriott started Insiders.

For example, before today's post (which was to stop a p.r. problem) MC posted in Dec the announcement for the megabonus. Before that, MC posted in August re: the hacking issue (another p.r. problem) & also announcing another megabonus. Before that it was another p.r. issue in July as well as the United partner deal, before that it was April announcing megabonus, before that a few posts re: megabonus & also some again detailing w/ some p.r. issues. FTers have even posted that, unlike previously, their PMs to MC weren't being answered.

So unlike in the past when MC participated more regularly, now it's basically either to announce megabonus or post something re: p.r. problems (usually after they've grown to the point where Marriott knows they need to post something), but MC certainly doesn't participate on FT in any way, shape or form on a regular basis. A single post every few months does not an engaged MC make!

You'll note that when MC refuted the rumors, he also apologized for lack of presence on the site. If MC returns on a more regular basis, I for one will be thrilled to have him back. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You're new to FT so you don't have the experience those of us who have been around for several years have wrt MarriottConcierge.

MarriottConcierge used to participate in the Marriott forum on a regular basis, although MC didn't have the authority that SPG gives to its folk on FT. However, Drew & other MC staff were helpful.

That basically trickled down to almost nothing since Marriott started Insiders.

For example, before today's post (which was to stop a p.r. problem) MC posted in Dec the announcement for the megabonus. Before that, MC posted in August re: the hacking issue (another p.r. problem) & also announcing another megabonus. Before that it was another p.r. issue in July as well as the United partner deal, before that it was April announcing megabonus, before that a few posts re: megabonus & also some again detailing w/ some p.r. issues. FTers have even posted that, unlike previously, their PMs to MC weren't being answered.

So unlike in the past when MC participated more regularly, now it's basically either to announce megabonus or post something re: p.r. problems (usually after they've grown to the point where Marriott knows they need to post something), but MC certainly doesn't participate on FT in any way, shape or form on a regular basis. A single post every few months does not an engaged MC make!

You'll note that when MC refuted the rumors, he also apologized for lack of presence on the site. If MC returns on a more regular basis, I for one will be thrilled to have him back. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers.
I'll say it again, Marriott Intl (and their paid employees) read FT. 100% fact. Just because they don't post or participate does not stop them from reading. If there was an IT glitch posted on FT giving $0.01 room rates, you can bet it would be seen quickly

Marriott Insiders is more about them having control of the narrative.

And by the way, I've been around FT a long, long, time. Just waited a long, long, time to create an account.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by wethereyet
And by the way, I've been around FT a long, long, time. Just waited a long, long, time to create an account.
Glad to have you! And thanks for your frequent participation.

I haven't been around as long as Sharon, but look back over these years with a warm smile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.