Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Vacation Club - new one opening "soon" in Manhattan (NYC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I went to a Marriott Vacation Club sales presentation in Las Vegas a few weeks ago (I am a MVCI owner already). I asked about new MVCI resorts opening sooner or later. He said that he believes that Marriott has identified a hotel in Manhattan; it will be converted to a MVCI resort.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
This has been discussed on Timeshare Users Group. Its apparently The Refinery which will open in June.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205480
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Reading beyond the beginning of that Timeshare Users Group thread, here's how the multi-age thread progressed:

Last Sunday morning, Marriott.com showed a New York City property with a Marriott Vacation Club logo as "opening June 2014." It was the Refinery Hotel New York, an independent 197-room hotel which opened last year on W. 38th Street in what had once been a hat factory. Marriott.com indicated it would have 197 rooms and listed the hotel's restaurants, but otherwise there was no customization of the page template. The photos and text were generic.

It wasn't just a rumor on a random blog. It was on the OFFICIAL Marriott.com site. So, on the surface, it seemed to be the real thing. But something wasn't right. There was no press release about an acquisition, nothing on the Marriott Vacation Club site, and nothing in the business press. At very least, it seemed someone at Marriott.com accidentally uploaded unfinished content prematurely.

Late Monday night, the Marriott.com entry was taken down. One person on the thread posted an internal Marriott Vacation Club email. The gist was that there was an online rumor about Marriott Vacation Club acquiring a property in New York, and to ignore that rumor. Oddly, the email said nothing about Marriott.com being the source of it.

The email included standard language at the bottom about being only intended for that recipient and prohibiting distribution. Someone from Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp contacted the owner of the Timeshare Users Group who removed the offending post. What followed was a bunch of drama about whether the owner acted properly.

There was also discussion about whether such a timeshare would make business sense and whether it could be a good value for Marriott Vacation Club members. The rumor that Marriott Vacation Club want to add a New York City location has been around for years.

For the time being, there is no new Marriott Vacation Club opening "soon" in New York City.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even if they do open one soon, I can just imagine that the rental cost or vacationclub points needed will be ungodly high.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm also an MVCI owner. I attended a presentation while at Timber Lodge in the first week of November. The salesman told me that Marriott would definitely be making a formal announcement about a new timeshare property within the next month. Well, December has come and gone, and there is no news.

I'll believe it when I see it. And I don't see the whites of their eyes yet.

I also follow TUG. My impression from the threads at TUG is that, at the present time, Marriott Vacation Club is buying resales at existing properties. They are also exercising their Right of First Refusal when a week sells on the aftermarket (such as an eBay sale). Buying resales gives them more inventory that they can repackage (at very low cost) and sell as points to new owners. They are also continuing the buildouts that are already in progress, such as Grand Chateau in Las Vegas. But I see nothing definite about a new property at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.