Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Originally Posted by marriott.com

Reinstate Your Level

As one of our valued Elite members, we understand that your travel needs vary from year to year and that occasionally you might not have the required number of stays to maintain your Elite status. We know how important Marriott Rewards benefits are to you – so we are offering you a limited-time opportunity to buy back your status for 2014 using points that you may have already earned.

Here's all it takes to reinstate your level:

Points required to buy back Platinum status - 40,000
Points required to buy back Gold status - 25,000
Points required to buy back Silver status - 7,500

Remember, if you don't have enough points in your account, you can always
buy up to 50,000 points every year.

This offer is valid through April 1, 2014 and allows only one level of buyback, which must match the Elite level you enjoyed in 2013.

Once your status has been reinstated, Marriott Rewards will send you a new valid membership card for your restored Elite level.
How to Do It: Two Ways to Buy Back Your Elite Status

Email us at Marriott Rewards with your information.

If emailing us, include your name and Rewards number, then copy (or cut-and-paste) one of the three options below:
Buy Back my Elite status from Gold to Platinum status: 40,000 points
Buy Back my Elite status from Silver to Gold status: 25,000 points
Buy Back my Elite status from Basic to Silver status: 7,500 points

Simply call Guest Services at 1-800-321-7396 (toll-free in the U.S. and Canada).

All Marriott Reward Program terms and conditions apply.
Print Wikipost

2014 Status Buyback is back!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:18 am
Original Poster

2014 Status Buyback is back!

Yay !

https://www.marriott.com/marriott/elitebuyback.mi
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If this was valid farther out I'd be tempted. 25K points for Gold... I had some great experiences in HKG. But that's a fair # of points...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Yes it's a decent amount of points but Im spending 3 weeks in the USA this April so will make my vacation extra special with this extension of gold.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I was just about to ask if this program was running this year. I've certainly got the points and will be spending a bunch of nights at Marriott resorts this year so buying back Gold would be worth it for me.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:37 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Silver isn't worth 7500 pts as it's really only 20% more points which you get to after 10 nights anyway, so to recover the 7500 points you'd need to spend $3750, that's $375 per night on each and every night!

Gold is the exact opposite, if you're staying over 10 nights at FS on own dime the free breakfast benefit alone makes Gold buyback worth it, and that's without taking into account the guaranteed lounge access or the upgrades.

Plat depends on stay pattern and spend since 40,000 points is a lot to recover back at 500pts welcome amenity and an extra 2.5points per $, which are the main extras at Plat level. Taking 2 examples, each at an average cost of $100 night the following emerges:

A) 40 nights over 20 stays earns 10,000 pts from the arrival bonus and another 10,000 plat points, making 20,000 points.

B) 60 nights over 50 stays earns 25,000 pts from the arrival bonus and another 15,000 plat points, making 40,000 points thus recouping the cost.

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Feb 3, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reason: Reorganising post for easier reading
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:10 pm

Trying to decide- if my company were still having me fly United it would be a no brainer to keep platinum - but I am now forced to use American. Will I get a soft landing to gold if I don't buy back my staus?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:43 pm

Just did this. Its worth it for me this year because I've got several FS Marriott stays in the works.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by marion10
Trying to decide- if my company were still having me fly United it would be a no brainer to keep platinum - but I am now forced to use American. Will I get a soft landing to gold if I don't buy back my staus?
Marriott has for many years had an unannounced soft landing policy.

In 2012 as a Plat I only managed 30 nights but in February 2013 was busted down to Gold, so the soft landing certainly worked for me.

I can't see any reason why this policy won't continue, but if you're busted down to silver later this month you can always buy back later, up to end March...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jalves
Just did this. Its worth it for me this year because I've got several FS Marriott stays in the works.
May I ask why you did this already now? Isn't Platinum status valid until end of February? But maybe you had so few nights you were sure they would downgrade you or something?

I think I will do this as well IF they downgrade me. Still shows Platinum but I was about 10 nights short last year so will probably not be after Feb.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
May I ask why you did this already now? Isn't Platinum status valid until end of February? But maybe you had so few nights you were sure they would downgrade you or something?

I think I will do this as well IF they downgrade me. Still shows Platinum but I was about 10 nights short last year so will probably not be after Feb.
I'd certainly wait at 10 nights short, Marriott have comped Plat when members fall short. Very long term Plats have been renewed despite falling short by 40/50 nights. Reading earlier posts it seems that Marriott do commonly comp the status when only 4 or 5 nights short, but 10 is quite an ask. Whether you get comped the status at 10 nights short I think will depend on your length of Plat status, spending and past loyalty...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Well, I'm Gold not Platinum. But that aside, I only had ~30 nights so I'm doubting that I would have been given Gold again.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jalves
I was just about to ask if this program was running this year. I've certainly got the points and will be spending a bunch of nights at Marriott resorts this year so buying back Gold would be worth it for me.
Unfortunately, it's at Marriott resorts that status is worth the least (among full service properties).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AMEX platinum, Marriott platinum, MPC Gold, SPG Gold
I'm certainly a fan of the platinum buy back option. Sure the options in terms of extra benefits was limited at the Resort properties but the upgrades still seem to work well.

Stayed in Curacao at the Marriott Beach Resort for 8 nights and was upgraded from the cheapest room I booked to a beachfront room. Also, as of November they were still offering the old check in amenities which was a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Unfortunately, it's at Marriott resorts that status is worth the least (among full service properties).
Correct, I should have said FS Marriott's not resorts.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob

Marriott have comped Plat when members fall short. Very long term Plats have been renewed despite falling short by 40/50 nights. Reading earlier posts it seems that Marriott do commonly comp the status when only 4 or 5 nights short, but 10 is quite an ask. Whether you get comped the status at 10 nights short I think will depend on your length of Plat status, spending and past loyalty...

i have been comped back up to Platinum for the past two years, despite being at least 15-20 nights short each year.. prior to that, i had only been Plat for 3 or 4 yrs, so not long term.. i have a feeling the gravy train might end this year though, so i'll probably do the buyback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.