Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott has now banned sharkfin from its menus (update)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott announced a total ban on shark fin soup partnering with the Yao Ming Foundation to increase awareness on this issue. The ban includes all menus in all of our hotels. It's effective July 1. Thank you and this forum for helping us understand the issue. After July 1st, I welcome any reports of our hotels not complying with this policy.

Safe travels and thanks for the civility of the discussions. Feel free to email me with any other questions. I will check back here for a few more days. -- jay Hamilton, Marriott
Print Wikipost

Marriott has now banned sharkfin from its menus (update)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Dolphins may have made out on the "dolphin friendly" tuna, but the tuna still get mixed with mayo...

Why? Because dolphins are cute and tuna are not?

Marriott is a business. If it's legal and they want to serve it...that's a business decision.
Yes, in this case, the Tuna are also unustainably harvested. However, most of the world's catch goes to Japan where EVERY PIECE and PART of the tuna is used for something. The point about dolphin friendly was that dolphins were killed (in unnecessarily atrocious ways) to get at the tuna, and not used for their meat.

Again, while I started this with the keyword "sharkfin" it goes to "sustainably harvested food" in general.

I don't know what brings out the desinterested attitude that these things simply don't matter, or one couldn't care less, or these are just animals etc etc.

But what I cannot accept is for a global corporation such as Marriott to close their eyes and ears, or worse, to make PR proclamations which aren't follwed.

Also, I have no time right now to do a petition. But I will no doubt bring it up to the F&B teams at BKK JW and BKK Renaissance next time I meet them.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I'll sign a petition too if any of you bring it up.

I found it extremely inhumane to torture animal like this.

Some people don't realise that sharkfin contain huge amount of heavy metals and it's not healthy to eat at all?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Folks, we've got a rep from Marriott posting here stating there's a Marriott ban on shark fin soup & asking FTers to provide specifics re: hotels and/or menus so that he can f/u, and he's provided his real name & email address.

Normally we all complain because Marriott doesn't listen. Since we have someone who does appear to be taking our input into consideration & who has thanked those that have provided specifics/links so that he can f/up, I suggest that if others know of properties that have shark fin soup on the menu, that they PM or email JHam.

Cheers.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:29 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I have to say, I'm a little surprised that there is supposedly a ban imposed by Marriott corporate but seemingly no enforcement. It'd be one thing if there were franchised select service properties blatantly flaunting some corporate directive (where corporate may not even be aware unless it was reported by a customer), but higher profile properties like the Marriott SIN and the Ren and JW in BKK? I have to wonder whether it's local management disregarding the ban or if corporate here in the US is just looking the other way.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by dw
I have to say, I'm a little surprised that there is supposedly a ban imposed by Marriott corporate but seemingly no enforcement. It'd be one thing if there were franchised select service properties blatantly flaunting some corporate directive (where corporate may not even be aware unless it was reported by a customer), but higher profile properties like the Marriott SIN and the Ren and JW in BKK? I have to wonder whether it's local management disregarding the ban or if corporate here in the US is just looking the other way.
Since JHam is now f/u, I'm wondering if it's the former. But will be interesting to see what he reports back.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Hopefully the Marriott Intl ban is enforced but, as noted, being ignored at some pretty high profile places in Asia where the serving of this would be most likely to occur seems suspect at best.

If any petition is drawn up would be happy to sign on and be involved.

Quite honestly feel strongly enough about this that I'd absolutely refuse to check in to a hotel serving this product and/or check out early and head elsewhere if I came across it on a menu in any hotel that I was spending my $ or points on. Don't need to be a "tree-hugger" to see its an insane and damaging practice for a multitude of reasons - takes about 15 minutes of research to find that out.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Folks, lets give this issue a wee bit of time. I have had personal email contact back from Mr. Hamilton regarding the Singapore Marriott. That is the only hotel noted so far.

That said, another large major hotel chain has a similar stance. Over the weekend I noticed that one of their hotels located in Asia had the soup on their menu. I contacted them and the next morning I had a reply. In this case, the soup had been taken off of the menu but it had not been updated online. The senior management was very quick to investigate and reply.

In reagards to the Singapore Marriott I do not think this case is one of old menus. Singapore has a teachers day which is 6 Sep 2013 and all of the menus I found are for 2013 and are actively promoted for 2013:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/event...arriott-hotel/

In fact almost all of the menus have the soup listed. So obviously someone did not get the memo.

Given my reply from Mr. Hamilton I believe that we will hear something shortly.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Great cause to support.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I'd suggest this thread being moved to the Dining Buzz forum or somewhere else since it has now become and argument over SF soup.
This is specifically about sf soup at Marriott properties which I frequent and interested in Marriott taking final steps to remove this and other unsustainable product from their properties.

So I disagree that this is a sf soup thread.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Folks, lets give this issue a wee bit of time. I have had personal email contact back from Mr. Hamilton regarding the Singapore Marriott. That is the only hotel noted so far.

That said, another large major hotel chain has a similar stance. Over the weekend I noticed that one of their hotels located in Asia had the soup on their menu. I contacted them and the next morning I had a reply. In this case, the soup had been taken off of the menu but it had not been updated online. The senior management was very quick to investigate and reply.

In reagards to the Singapore Marriott I do not think this case is one of old menus. Singapore has a teachers day which is 6 Sep 2013 and all of the menus I found are for 2013 and are actively promoted for 2013:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/event...arriott-hotel/

In fact almost all of the menus have the soup listed. So obviously someone did not get the memo.

Given my reply from Mr. Hamilton I believe that we will hear something shortly.
I am contacting f&b at Bkk renaissance and JW. Will see if this is off the menu at those two properties by Tuesday.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Allvest
I am contacting f&b at Bkk renaissance and JW. Will see if this is off the menu at those two properties by Tuesday.
A little searching and I found what you are referring to:

http://bangkokinsiderguide.com/searc...t/details.html

Edit to add that is the copyright is 2009 so it may not be accurate.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 17, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

This is specifically about sf soup at Marriott properties which I frequent and interested in Marriott taking final steps to remove this and other unsustainable product from their properties.

So I disagree that this is a sf soup thread.
You have repeatedly spoken of your interest in sustainable practices. As we are on FT would you be willing to share detail of your carbon footprint? How do you travel between BKK and SIN Marriott properties in a sustainable manner?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I support Allvest in this effort to have Marriott ban shark fin soup.

Originally Posted by Segments
You have repeatedly spoken of your interest in sustainable practices. As we are on FT would you be willing to share detail of your carbon footprint? How do you travel between BKK and SIN Marriott properties in a sustainable manner?
What's this got to to with the issue at hand, other than not showing support but challenging a member in a non-sensical way.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
It is a fact of our lives that we have an outrageously large carbon footprint. Travel certainly contributes to this. Paying for carbon emissions on each ticket is not useful, in my opinion. I always buy the smallest seats (Y) and utilize unused capacity in J (it's called free upgrades) to minimize
my footprint (insert chuckle here!)

SF soup is a completely obnoxious, wasteful and egomaniacal thing to consume and contributes unnecessarily to the depletion of the ocean world only for the sake of vanity. It serves no real purpose.

So therefore, getting it off the menus is a purpose to follow. It's got nothing to do with tuna, carbon emissions or other pressing world problems. It's an issue unto itself. So lets keep the discussion focused.

Do you have any reason or thoughts why it is a bad thing to stop harvesting sharkfin?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:17 am

Just curious - have you contacted JHam yet? If so, what did he say? If no, why not given that he's provided his real name & email address?

Also, are you expecting menus to be reprinted by tonight (their Tuesday)? I don't think any hotel is going to have such a fast turnaround.

I'm supportive of this effort, but I think such a short turn-around re: actually pulling SFS from the menu and/or getting menus reprinted by the rogue properties might be a bit unrealistic. Given weekends, dif time zones, dealing w/ franchisees, etc, might take a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.