Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No More Free Coffee in the Lobby of USA Courtyards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is much-ado about nothing. Whether CY generally provides freebies in the lobby or not, this particular property markets the free coffee and ought to abide by it.

All I would have done in this situation is have charged the coffees to the room and raised the issue at check-out. I can't imagine that even the most junior FD clerk doesn't fix that with a keystroke.

It's way over the top to send in "formal" complaints about minor stuff which 99% of the time can be and is resolved on the spot.
Old May 3, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
When we stayed at the Marriott Marquis Times Square, I'd have rather poked my eye out than venture in to Aeropostle and Forever 21. I took her to the window of our room, said there they are, you have your 8th grade graduation money, I'm taking an afternoon nap, bye bye.
The OP appears to have one standard for parenting and you another. Who are you to judge which is right? Please remember that this is a forum about travel, and not the on line edition of Parenting magazine.
Old May 3, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The point is the inconvenience was exaggerated by pulling in the hassle of dealing with this while traveling with "children".
Old May 3, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Absolutely hysterical twist to this thread! The biggest mistake was choosing a Courtyard, any Courtyard. As for the coffee and other saga, when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything else looks like a nail. Overkill !
Old May 4, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

If the "outrage" expressed in the post was conveyed at the FD, then an equally plausible answer might be that the free coffee was moved to each room therefore no credit for the Starbucks is necessary. Why reimburse your premium coffee purchase? Because free coffee "in lobby" was replaced by free coffee "in room" that you choose not to consume?
Old May 4, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Segments
If the "outrage" expressed in the post was conveyed at the FD, then an equally plausible answer might be that the free coffee was moved to each room therefore no credit for the Starbucks is necessary. Why reimburse your premium coffee purchase? Because free coffee "in lobby" was replaced by free coffee "in room" that you choose not to consume?
There has been coffee in the room for years, as well as free coffee in the lobby. Claiming the coffee in the room replaced the coffee in the lobby would be inaccurate. Kudos for Marriott for not playing that game.

The cheap coffee maker in the room likely doesn't make as good coffee as an industrial coffee system. Nobody is asking for free Starbucks; rather, we are asking to return to the days there was a large urn of coffee, be it Maxwell House, Folgers or Bunn, brewed in a non-rinky-dink, regularly cleaned coffee maker.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Quote:
There has been coffee in the room for years, as well as free coffee in the lobby. Claiming the coffee in the room replaced the coffee in the lobby would be inaccurate. Kudos for Marriott for not playing that game.

The cheap coffee maker in the room likely doesn't make as good coffee as an industrial coffee system. Nobody is asking for free Starbucks; rather, we are asking to return to the days there was a large urn of coffee, be it Maxwell House, Folgers or Bunn, brewed in a non-rinky-dink, regularly cleaned coffee maker.
Originally Posted by Often1
This is much-ado about nothing. Whether CY generally provides freebies in the lobby or not, this particular property markets the free coffee and ought to abide by it.

All I would have done in this situation is have charged the coffees to the room and raised the issue at check-out. I can't imagine that even the most junior FD clerk doesn't fix that with a keystroke.

It's way over the top to send in "formal" complaints about minor stuff which 99% of the time can be and is resolved on the spot.
Some people have suggested that the OP should have received free Starbucks.

I understand that most of us prefer the
Lobby coffee. All I was trying to point out that assuming that all junior FD clerks would waive the Starbucks charge may be YMMV
Old May 5, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Segments
Some people have suggested that the OP should have received free Starbucks.

I understand that most of us prefer the
Lobby coffee. All I was trying to point out that assuming that all junior FD clerks would waive the Starbucks charge may be YMMV
Some people suggested it in the OP's situation, but my point was intended to be global. We aren't asking CY to provide the Starbucks to every guest for free, but we want some cheap, free lobby coffee.

I have had a couple desk clerks bring me coffee from the employees' coffee maker in the back. Both desk clerks looked both ways to make sure nobody saw them doing this, and begged me not to tell, as though it would be an instantly fireable offense.

As much as we may complain about these things, CY isn't hurting as a brand, so it is not likely to change.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Cincinnati Airport South Florence (KY) Courtyard

Stayed here recently and they do have lobby coffee. Sign of things to come, or the exception to the rule? Anyone else found it at a CY recently?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Courtyard Raleigh Durham Airport

No free coffee in the lobby. And to top it off, the in-room coffee maker in my room was broken. I mentioned it to the front desk when checking out hoping they'd comp me a cup at the Bistro but no such luck.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm staying at the CY Greenville, NC. It's 3 PM but I have work I need to do so I decide to go downstairs and get a cup of coffee. The hotel has a bistro and I'm happy to pay for a cup. However, there's a sign up saying "Bistro Closed, Please See Front Desk for Starbucks". I wait for awhile until the front desk agent shows up and I ask for coffee. She says "I can only make you a very limited amount of drinks, I'm the only one here". So, I ended up with a cup of cold coffee that had been sitting in the bistro for who knows how long.

Pretty annoying if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.