Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CY Rome only accepts cash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That was my take on it. BKKLEE, have you contacted Marriott to find out their interpretation?

Cheers.
I have and it is indeed cash only for the city tax only which is $2 per day.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why does the hotel have such a policy? Especially for an airport property where there can be some transit passengers without local currency. Ridiculous to make them waste the time and fees to change such a small amount of money. Could it be that the hotel wants to profit enormously from changing a bit of money for a big surcharge so that people can pay the tax in cash? It sounds like a scam directed at their less fortunate foreign guests.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Considering this is in EU and currency is Euro, chances are you are not a transit passenger. Rome is not a major EU anyways where you would be stuck transiting only. Granted it has few Alitalia from US, to rest of the Europe but that is not that big.

Basically I am saying is that customers at this CY would probably have EUR currency.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by holtju2
CC fees cannot be nowhere near 5% even in Italy. The only reason for a 5% fee is that the money goes directly to their bank account which makes cooking the books impossible for transaction in question.
Many of the hotels in Italy (esp. the Marriott Milan) use DCC on credit cards, so they more than recoup any credit card fee.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
way to not be hit by DCC is to refuse to sign CC bill unless bill is in local currency (same in china)............

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Many of the hotels in Italy (esp. the Marriott Milan) use DCC on credit cards, so they more than recoup any credit card fee.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Use Marriott GC. That will solve the problem.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
way to not be hit by DCC is to refuse to sign CC bill unless bill is in local currency (same in china)............
I'm finding they try to sneak through DCC more and more in Europe. Had it from stores and hotels in Belgium, Germany, Poland as well as Italy. You need to read the credit card charge slip very carefully before you sign, because the cashier or front desk doesn't mention it.

More importantly, with Avis, they hide this in the contract when you pick up the car. Read it through -- you're volunteering and agreeing to DCC. That way when you drop off the car it's too late -- you've been DCC'd.

Disgusting scam! Particularly with all the cards available in the US that don't have a foreign currency conversion fee at all (like the Marriott Rewards card, also BA Visa from Chase and the Hilton Reserve Visa from Citi).

And in some cases where your card does charge a foreign transaction fee, they charge it even if you've been DCC'd because the transaction itself is overseas, so you get hit twice!

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there."
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
More importantly, with Avis, they hide this in the contract when you pick up the car. Read it through -- you're volunteering and agreeing to DCC. That way when you drop off the car it's too late -- you've been DCC'd.
This happened to us when we were in the US! It's not just Europe. I was DCCed in France even though I had a copy of the contract saying that I'd like to be billed in EUR!

If you want to avoid it, get an AMEX, afaik they are the only one that is not DCCable.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I'm finding they try to sneak through DCC more and more in Europe. Had it from stores and hotels in Belgium, Germany, Poland as well as Italy. You need to read the credit card charge slip very carefully before you sign, because the cashier or front desk doesn't mention it.

Disgusting scam! Particularly with all the cards available in the US that don't have a foreign currency conversion fee at all (like the Marriott Rewards card, also BA Visa from Chase and the Hilton Reserve Visa from Citi).

And in some cases where your card does charge a foreign transaction fee, they charge it even if you've been DCC'd because the transaction itself is overseas, so you get hit twice!

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there."
Yes, it is a default option in Avis system. You have to specifically tell the agent at the desk that you would only accept billing in local currency - they sometimes would still default to the DCC - happened to us at Zurich (and the contract was in German but I could guess some of the meaning). We asked the counter to delete that paragraph but when we returned the car at the airport, it was still defaulted back to the DCC billing. We had to waste a few minutes to get it corrected. It did not happen at Toulouse but the insurance option is a default opt-in at that location. The agent at Toulouse had a very hard time to get rid of that option.
You need to have your reservation print out and be diligent to compare the total price with the contract print out and your reservation print out - that was how we caught the insurance option being a default opt-in.

If your card charges a forex fee, then you would be hit twice - first the DCC then your own card issuer.
If your card does not charge a forex fee, you still are hit by the DCC which often can be as high as 5% extra these days.
It is a total scam for the establishments from retailers to hoteliers to car rental companies to generate additional profits on the unwary customers.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
This happened to us when we were in the US! It's not just Europe. I was DCCed in France even though I had a copy of the contract saying that I'd like to be billed in EUR!

If you want to avoid it, get an AMEX, afaik they are the only one that is not DCCable.
Then you need to choose your AMEX carefully because only a very few AMEX cards do not charge forex fee - the PLAT card does not but the PRG does, close to 3%.
Both the SPG and HHonor and DL AMEX (at least the lower level) charge forex fee.

You should use a 0% forex fee card and at the same time be very diligent and FIRM to refuse the bill that is DCCed. At least with most chain hotels and rental cars the bills are not final until you accept it. Worst offenders are those small establishments that swipe your card first at check-in - that was the one time we got hit by surprise at a local hotel at Seville, Spain.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Then you need to choose your AMEX carefully because only a very few AMEX cards do not charge forex fee - the PLAT card does not but the PRG does, close to 3%.
Both the SPG and HHonor and DL AMEX (at least the lower level) charge forex fee.

You should use a 0% forex fee card and at the same time be very diligent and FIRM to refuse the bill that is DCCed. At least with most chain hotels and rental cars the bills are not final until you accept it. Worst offenders are those small establishments that swipe your card first at check-in - that was the one time we got hit by surprise at a local hotel at Seville, Spain.
Not sure you can completely avoid that in China - I haven't tried it myself but if you search around in this form, I saw somewhere that they can't DCC Amex.

I'm not used to 0% forex fee, we have to pay forex fee for a lot of cards, and in Denmark I don't even recall if there is any card that is forex free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.