FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Breaking up with Marriott (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1415397-breaking-up-marriott.html)

etsmyers Dec 21, 12 11:02 am

Originally Posted by keloutwest (Post 19820359)
I've been a Plat member with MR for a few years now. In general, I've been pretty happy. But a new change has absolutely sent me packing....to SPG. Here's why in case anyone is listening:

--Apparently upgrades are now up to 1 room type higher. I checked in the other night at a Renaissance in Europe on a 300+ Euro rate for business. I did my usual "any suites available tonight?" The response was weird..."yes, we aren't very full tonight, so there are several available. I can upgrade you to a Jr. Suite for only 140 Euros/night." I laughed and said, "Oh, I'm a platinum, isn't my number in there?" The response was "we only upgrade up to 1 room class higher. It's a new policy". Long story short, I argued, got nowhere, was furious (a DYKWIA moment, unfortunately) and called MR. They confirmed that indeed that's a new policy. I've missed upgrades before, so that wasn't the issue. It was the fact they said they had plenty available but wouldn't give me one.

That made me start shopping, and I realized the following "benefits" just aren't working for me:

--Bad lounges. The lounges are usually little more than 2 or 3 rooms put together, and often feature a limited and often cold-only breakfast. I stayed at a W recently and they offered me breakfast in the real restaurant (not offered in their club lounge). They also charge for alcohol usually. So what's the point of the lounge?
--Breakfast on weekdays only? My company would pay for me to eat on weekdays. It's when I travel on weekends for pleasure, that's when I need the benefit.
--Golds versus Platinum? What's the point of going for 75 nights (one of the highest as far as I can see) when at 50 nights you get essentially exactly the same benefits (minus a few guarantees that aren't honored anyways, like the bed choice guarantee or arrival gift guarantee that has a loophole bigger than the 500 points themselves)
--Resort and Courtyard exclusions? Really?

It's been real Marriott. See ya!

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was making MR plat on the old rolling calendar. I had status for over 16 months, went shopping with my stays, found HH Diamond, SPG plat and HGP Diamond, all for less than 100 night combined and have had 1, yes ONE Marriott night in the last 3 years.

dilbertsdaddy Dec 21, 12 1:11 pm

The experience with all of the chains is declining...

I have had the most elite luck with SPG, but Westins have been hit or miss for upgrades....oh well, due to travel patterns and meeting planning, I dropped from Plat to Gold and now down to kettle in 2013....

Marriotts are starting to show signs of serious disrepair.

IHG is really good, but no published lounge policy is pretty disheartening. Recently at one property they tried to charge me $120 a day for lounge access as a Plat/Royal Amb. What?

Hilton....see Marriott comment above.

IHG seems to be the prettiest puppy of an ugly litter, despite a non-functioning website.

USirritated Dec 21, 12 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 19900419)
:rolleyes: Obviously you missed the :p :D part. I was kidding (although FTers would look for more detailed reports such as yours & NJ's on the property thread vs. a leaving Marriott thread).

Cheers.

You are correct Sharon, I did miss that. I probably would not have missed those smileys, if not for the second sentence, which distracted me. :D

FlyerTalker683455 Dec 24, 12 5:49 pm

Platinum Premier for WHAT?

I am really annoyed with Marriott today. Trying to book something for the first weekend after New Year. None of three properties would do a thing for me. I am traveling with our son, so for once I would have liked a property to confirm what room or suite I will actually get upgraded to. Marquis, Essex House, RC Battery Park. Nothing. One property tells me, "you'll know upon check-in", another has a virtual concierge which ignores my request, and the last one is not interested in even offering promised benefits, just because their $500 a night rate is a "promotion which cannot be combined with any other offer". I am not sure what the point of being Platinum Premier is (even the phone support couldn't assist and actually told me "those properties don't appreciate receiving calls from us!").

I know the first week after new year is very slow for these properties, so it's beyond me why they don't want to show some better customer service. My last try was through CTS (Centurion Travel Service), but the best I got from them is a standard 3rd night free booking at RC Battery Park I can get myself on the RC website... CTS was told "this cannot be combined with Centurion benefits (free bfst, upgraded room)".

I am too used to proper service from high end properties in Asia to put up with this kind of lousy attitude. So I made my choice...I am staying home!

And companies complain about the economy!

What gets me is that there is absolutely no attempt to do anything for me as Plat Prem. So what's the whole hullaballoo for then? I am going to burn up my 800+K MR points on nice stays, not give a damn about collecting MR points, and enjoy my stays without worrying about making Plat renewal on 75 nights a year. I have LT platinum, so the only reason to keep the renewal is to keep my Premier status. I don't see it being any advantage whatsoever.

Marriott...this isn't good....i have choices.... much better choices than Marriott, in fact.

rant over...

PS: Last time I was annoyed by a hotel chain was in 1999 when I was fiercely loyal to Hyatt and got disappointed twice within a month. I jumped ship and put in 2000 nights with Marriott...until now.

BKKLEE Dec 24, 12 6:00 pm

yet another OP who demands benefits above and beyond their entitlement......
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi

so, rant away, and bye-bye...........

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 19916338)
I am really annoyed with Marriott today. Trying to book something for the first weekend after New Year. None of three properties would do a thing for me. I am traveling with our son, so for once I would have liked a property to confirm what room or suite I will actually get upgraded to. Marquis, Essex House, RC Battery Park. Nothing. One property tells me, "you'll know upon check-in", another has a virtual concierge which ignores my request, and the last one is not interested in even offering promised benefits, just because their $500 a night rate is a "promotion which cannot be combined with any other offer". I am not sure what the point of being Platinum Premier is (even the phone support couldn't assist and actually told me "those properties don't appreciate receiving calls from us!").

I know the first week after new year is very slow for these properties, so it's beyond me why they don't want to show some better customer service. My last try was through CTS (Centurion Travel Service), but the best I got from them is a standard 3rd night free booking at RC Battery Park I can get myself on the RC website... CTS was told "this cannot be combined with Centurion benefits (free bfst, upgraded room)".

I am too used to proper service from high end properties in Asia to put up with this kind of lousy attitude. So I made my choice...I am staying home!

And companies complain about the economy!

What gets me is that there is absolutely no attempt to do anything for me as Plat Prem. So what's the whole hullaballoo for then? I am going to burn up my 800+K MR points on nice stays, not give a damn about collecting MR points, and enjoy my stays without worrying about making Plat renewal on 75 nights a year. I have LT platinum, so the only reason to keep the renewal is to keep my Premier status. I don't see it being any advantage whatsoever.

Marriott...this isn't good....i have choices.... much better choices than Marriott, in fact.

rant over...

PS: Last time I was annoyed by a hotel chain was in 1999 when I was fiercely loyal to Hyatt and got disappointed twice within a month. I jumped ship and put in 2000 nights with Marriott...until now.

HealthyAcademic Dec 24, 12 6:09 pm

Suites aren't guaranteed and they can't know their inventory this far in advance. As a fellow PP (a title I think is probably total BS), I agree communication can sometimes be frustrating (see my most recent thread) but somethings are out of their control until closer to arrival.

qwest01 Dec 25, 12 1:42 am

Breaking up with Marriott

I just do not get this "I am entitled to a suite upgrade" attitude at all. If you want a suite then buy a suite not a basic room and expect a multiple room upgrade as of right.

I was recently at the JW in Seoul and there was not an upgrade to a suite - last I heard was Seoul is in Asia but I got a room upgrade to the exec floor and obviously lounge access as a plat member. I never ask for an upgrade - sorry but I find it demeaning and when we do get a suite it is a great bonus.

BKKLEE Dec 25, 12 1:49 am

+1

and, like the current complainer, they not only want a suite, but want it guaranteed before arrival.........

Originally Posted by qwest01 (Post 19917400)
I just do not get this "I am entitled to a suite upgrade" attitude at all. If you want a suite then buy a suite not a basic room and expect a multiple room upgrade as of right.

I was recently at the JW in Seoul and there was not an upgrade to a suite - last I heard was Seoul is in Asia but I got a room upgrade to the exec floor and obviously lounge access as a plat member. I never ask for an upgrade - sorry but I find it demeaning and when we do get a suite it is a great bonus.

FlyerTalker683455 Dec 25, 12 2:31 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 19916371)
yet another OP who demands benefits above and beyond their entitlement......
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi

so, rant away, and bye-bye...........

Not exactly. I even asked about paid or points upgrades and was offered no help at all. The Essex house has only queen size rooms and king suites, so there are no king size rooms available for purchase or upgrade. In this case my question was...will I receive an upgrade to the king room or suite upon arrival. The answers ranged from probably not to most likely, and these from the same Platinum line phone agent who said he was afraid to call the property to ask.

I am asking for decent customer/concierge service, not blank entitlement. Normally I don't give a s...t, but when travelling with my son once or twice a year I would like to know he isn't gonna sleep on the floor in a tiny room while so called "suites" (they usually aren't now, are they!) go unfilled.

As for the RC battery park, I can't combine Cent benefits with their third night free promo on the $515 suite they have on offer, so out of principle I just declined. Either we have "status" or not. If we do, what's so bloody hard about issuing a bfst benefit to a platinum premier under the Centurion hotel benefit?

Ridiculous and unengaged customer service to their top tier is just unacceptable.

By the way, I paid for a junior suite at Renaissance bkk a few weeks ago and upon checkin asked about an upgrade. I was told "you already upgrade to junior suite!" I left it at that. Sometimes I rally don't care about suites and consider them a bonus, but there are some real eggheads working room management.

BKKLEE Dec 25, 12 2:45 am

so, what stops YOU from calling the hotel directly and talking w the respective hotels Rooms Mgr???????????
and, if you read your post it was stated as if it were to be a blanket entitlement cause you're a PP (and I wasn't alone in that accessment)......

BKK Ren suites are NOTHING more then corner rooms WITHOUT a seperate bedroom so called a suite, but aren't..........

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 19917501)
Not exactly. I even asked about paid or points upgrades and was offered no help at all. The Essex house has only queen size rooms and king suites, so there are no king size rooms available for purchase or upgrade. In this case my question was...will I receive an upgrade to the king room or suite upon arrival. The answers ranged from probably not to most likely, and these from the same Platinum line phone agent who said he was afraid to call the property to ask.

I am asking for decent customer/concierge service, not blank entitlement. Normally I don't give a s...t, but when travelling with my son once or twice a year I would like to know he isn't gonna sleep on the floor in a tiny room while so called "suites" (they usually aren't now, are they!) go unfilled.

As for the RC battery park, I can't combine Cent benefits with their third night free promo on the $515 suite they have on offer, so out of principle I just declined. Either we have "status" or not. If we do, what's so bloody hard about issuing a bfst benefit to a platinum premier under the Centurion hotel benefit?

Ridiculous and unengaged customer service to their top tier is just unacceptable.

By the way, I paid for a junior suite at Renaissance bkk a few weeks ago and upon checkin asked about an upgrade. I was told "you already upgrade to junior suite!" I left it at that. Sometimes I rally don't care about suites and consider them a bonus, but there are some real eggheads working room management.

FlyerTalker683455 Dec 25, 12 2:53 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 19917520)
so, what stops YOU from calling the hotel directly and talking w the respective hotels Rooms Mgr???????????
and, if you read your post it was stated as if it were to be a blanket entitlement cause you're a PP (and I wasn't alone in that accessment)......

BKK Ren suites are NOTHING more then corner rooms WITHOUT a seperate bedroom so called a suite, but aren't..........

I DID call Essex house front desk supervisor. she said she wasn't sure about the paid upgrade, "maybe $400 per night" and told me to sort it out with Marriott reservations who also didn't know.

The CTS concierge DID call RC battery park for me as well.

I am not some dumb ... entitled idiot. I know what i am doing and I know when customer service isn't trying hard enough to find a solution. In this case I have a choice...to stay home. I probably could negotiate this further but I am in no mood to spend an hour on the phone begging to find the right accommodation for a discretionary stay during low season.

Renaissance do have real suites. I would have thought they would upgrade to to one on availability if I paid for a jr suite already.

BKKLEE Dec 25, 12 3:08 am

don't disagree, but I was referring to their Studio Suites which are suites in name ONLY.......

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 19917536)
Renaissance do have real suites. I would have thought they would upgrade to to one on availability if I paid for a jr suite already.

FlyerTalker683455 Dec 25, 12 4:00 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 19917564)
don't disagree, but I was referring to their Studio Suites which are suites in name ONLY.......

What? We agree now? Happy Holidays to all!

keloutwest Dec 25, 12 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 19916338)

rant over...

In fact, I believe SPG affords plats a certain number of guaranteed upgrades before arrival. For these exact situations.

My broader issue is that there seems to be an unwillingness for the occasional 'above and beyond' service offering at MR. I'm not saying that I want special DYKWIA rules all the time. But frankly, I spent $15,000 this year with Marriott, and so I do expect the occasional 'give me something I might not otherwise be entitled to' benefit when I ask. To me that's called exceptional customer service and appreciation of loyalty. Flame away. :p

hhoope01 Dec 25, 12 9:04 am

Originally Posted by keloutwest (Post 19918223)
In fact, I believe SPG affords plats a certain number of guaranteed upgrades before arrival. For these exact situations.

Only certain Plats get the suite upgrade coupons (those that stay at least 50 nights the previous year.) And based on the complaints I've seen in the Starwood forum, there seems to be a lot of confusion, complaints, issues, problems, etc in using them.

Also, I do believe you have to call within 5 days of the stay to use those coupons. So in this case for a stay the 1st weekend of the New Year, you'd have to wait until Monday (Dec. 31st) to even try to use them.

So while they sound nice, the grass may not be quite a green over there as you might hope. :eek: