FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Breaking up with Marriott (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1415397-breaking-up-marriott.html)

Crazyhotelguy Feb 13, 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 20238545)
And the churn goes on...

The upset SPG/Hilton etc move to Marriott as you all go storming off to them.

To the hotels it makes no difference. Same amount of cash coming in.

(The grass probably looks greener, but are you sure that's not just different manure?)

True...

dionnec123 Feb 13, 2013 8:44 am

[QUOTE=jr1202sr;20238085]would be helpful to posts some emails, addresses and Phone #'s where people could lodge their complaints.

I too would be interested in finding out who to send a complaint to specifically. I have been Platinum Premier for the last 4 years and have been Lifetime Platinum for the last 3. I just burned through 600,000 points and still have a 100,000 left. I have moved a lot of my business to both Hyatt (Diamond) and Starwood (currently Gold but will make Platinum by the end of March). I get treated better at Hyatt than Marriott.

I stay about 100 nights in hotels every year and used to stay exclusively in Marriott properties. I also spend about $50K every year on Marriott Credit Card and hold four events at Marriott properties where I spend about $15K per year with them. Marriott is going to lose all of this.

The big things for me are that Marriott got rid of all-inclusive option, got rid of the gift cheque option for members, and now the increase in points for more than a third of their properties. And, no breakfast on weekends or at resorts is just really bad business. I get this at Hyatt and soon will at Starwood. The biggest thing for me as that I want to be given what I have been promised and Marriott is inconsistent in doing this.

SkiAdcock Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 20238545)
And the churn goes on...

The upset SPG/Hilton etc move to Marriott as you all go storming off to them.

To the hotels it makes no difference. Same amount of cash coming in.

(The grass probably looks greener, but are you sure that's not just different manure?)

This. We've had some folk go to SPG & now they're coming back to Marriott.

For those who are truly unhappy, then certainly move to another chain. But no chain is perfect, and the other chains have upped categories and/or cut bennies too.

Cheers.

jerseyfinn Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks guys! Every elite who quits Marriott equals a new UG opportunity for those of us who stick with MR to nail the UG. ^^

Barry

aero0729 Feb 13, 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn (Post 20239887)
Thanks guys! Every elite who quits Marriott equals a new UG opportunity for those of us who stick with MR to nail the UG. ^^

Barry

Yeah right... stayed at Marriott Waterside in Tampa... offered me a suite for $99 up charge but would not upgrade me for free. We could all leave and leave any and all upgrades for you but you still will not get them! I did not buy the upgrade as I had to save for the $25 breakfast Marriott does not give their elites since it was a Saturday night. At Hilton I would have gotten that upgrade AND free breakfast.

Safti Feb 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20238085)
would be helpful to posts some emails, addresses and Phone #'s where people could lodge their complaints.

When I spoke to MR on the phone earlier this AM they were not surprised by my call nor disagreed with my arguements. She docuemented the days I cancelled with Marriott Earlier yesterday and verified them and took my complaint and said she would pass it on to her supervisor. She also said that I was not the first person to make the same complaint to her recently. She seem worn out from the topic and didn't try to defend the move.

Love how Marriott Concierge has been NOWHERE trying to make this smoother either.

PSST....they don't care their loyalty program motto has changed to "churn and burn"

Safti Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Marriott Concierge??

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20238085)
would be helpful to posts some emails, addresses and Phone #'s where people could lodge their complaints.

When I spoke to MR on the phone earlier this AM they were not surprised by my call nor disagreed with my arguements. She docuemented the days I cancelled with Marriott Earlier yesterday and verified them and took my complaint and said she would pass it on to her supervisor. She also said that I was not the first person to make the same complaint to her recently. She seem worn out from the topic and didn't try to defend the move.

Love how Marriott Concierge has been NOWHERE trying to make this smoother either.

PSST....they don't care their loyalty program motto has changed to "churn and burn"

In the past month I have emailed and PM'd Marriott Concierge 4 times. Ira, Andrew, Marie..... never received a reply. Where are you Marriott Concierge?

Horace Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729 (Post 20235503)
Boycott Marriott! Who is in!?

As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

The word "boycott" suggests punishment or protest. It's about consciously withholding business, typically as part of an organized effort, to do damage in support of a larger issue.

In the case of switching hotel loyalty, it's not really a boycott. We're just voting with our wallets. I'm not happy with Marriott's recent devaluation of Marriott Rewards or with the lack of breakfast at many FS properties on weekends. Ultimately, however, for me, Marriott still provides a more compelling case for loyalty than other brands. For others, that may not be the case.

Ultimately, Marriott has to do what it can to get the highest yield from each property.

TallestHotelInJapan Feb 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729 (Post 20235503)
As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

- Point values now diminished. Hotels cost almost what Hilton's do but points are much harder to earn
-Poor treatments of Platinum Members
*lack of upgrades
*Courtyard - yuck... bad hotels with no benefits
*No free breakfast on weekends. (even for Platinum..awful)
*MAJOR category changes destroying the purpose of the mega bonus, travel packages and points in general. Worse than any program in history.
*Platinum phone line ... automated garbage
*Lots of nice hotels, but too many dilapidated hotels going up in category.
*Nothing special about the program and nothing changes.

I would join you in your boycott if I only could. Luckily, I don't give Marriott hotels too much business, I am more happy with SPG :-)

JamboAddick Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 20240473)
The word "boycott" suggests punishment or protest. It's about consciously withholding business, typically as part of an organized effort, to do damage in support of a larger issue.

In the case of switching hotel loyalty, it's not really a boycott. We're just voting with our wallets. I'm not happy with Marriott's recent devaluation of Marriott Rewards or with the lack of breakfast at many FS properties on weekends. Ultimately, however, for me, Marriott still provides a more compelling case for loyalty than other brands. For others, that may not be the case.

Ultimately, Marriott has to do what it can to get the highest yield from each property.

This is my feeling exactly. I was partial to SPG until about 5 years ago and gave them up when their properties went downhill (or at least the ones I used most often). Now I'm likely going to hit Platinum for the first time this year and have had nothing but excellent experiences at the places I've stayed at around the world. And at the end of the day, good service, great locations and decent prices trump a one category increase in redemptions. I'm staying put.

silverfalls Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

So Long Marriott...

So far we had to put up with lack of platinum benefits...now on top of it...point devaluation....Bye bye Marriott

bmw745ion19s Feb 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Go ahead and leave so the rest of us who pay cash can stay cheaper and get cheaper upgrades :)

sophiegirl Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Safti (Post 20240400)
In the past month I have emailed and PM'd Marriott Concierge 4 times. Ira, Andrew, Marie..... never received a reply. Where are you Marriott Concierge?

Me too. Very disappointing, and a clear message being sent. I have always understood why they could not be openly active on the forum itself - but to not answer a PM? Inexcusably poor service.

sophiegirl Feb 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 20239831)
This. We've had some folk go to SPG & now they're coming back to Marriott.

For those who are truly unhappy, then certainly move to another chain. But no chain is perfect, and the other chains have upped categories and/or cut bennies too.

Cheers.

All true.

So I am starting to choose the hotel that is best for me on the specific trip - without worrying about points, bonuses, or a complicated mental evaluation of whether a free breakfast is worth more to us than suite upgrade!

One of the best hotel stays recently? OMNI. The program as a whole s*cks - but the great part is bennies start on the first stay. So free Internet, free clothes pressing, and yep....coffee delivered to the room as my wake up call. Tiny chain footprint...but there was one where I needed to be.

Early days yet, but so far? Amazingly freeing.

dw Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl (Post 20242765)
All true.

So I am starting to choose the hotel that is best for me on the specific trip - without worrying about points, bonuses, or a complicated mental evaluation of whether a free breakfast is worth more to us than suite upgrade!

If you have a MasterCard World Elite card, you should look into their hotel program. It's similar to Amex's FHR program though with reduced benefits (ie you might get a $25 or $50 on property credit instead of $100). Though at the same time it has a fair number of "upscale" properties (Kimpton, Omni, various Starwood properties), versus FHR which mostly has luxury properties (RC, FS, MO, etc). The MC hotel program at a minimum throws in breakfast, and the rates are supposed to be the same as the BAR offered directly by the hotels.