FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Breaking up with Marriott (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1415397-breaking-up-marriott.html)

keloutwest Dec 9, 12 2:55 am

Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 19821445)
OK now i'm confused as to official policy...

the t&c on the general page where it talks about benefits says:

¶¶¶ Room Upgrade: At no additional charge, we’ll do our best to upgrade you to our best-available guest room in the next room category level. Suites are excluded.

However on the detailed page it says:

Room Upgrade
For Gold Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in, we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge – for your entire stay. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.

So is this really a case of hotels discretion, or are they eliminating suite upgrades as policy?

That has to be new...I swear the suite exclusion wasn't there when I last checked (a few months ago).

qazw1 Dec 9, 12 5:27 am

Had a recent award stay at the Orlando World Center. Was given a King Bed suite without asking.

NJUPINTHEAIR Dec 9, 12 7:20 am

Don't you just love posters who describe a situation that certainly is hotel specific -- at the very least -- and they fail to alert their readers as to which hotel has implemented this so called new policy to the max!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks alot for nothing, OP. :td:

kcblakely Dec 9, 12 7:36 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 19823023)
Don't you just love posters who describe a situation that certainly is hotel specific -- at the very least -- and they fail to alert their readers as to which hotel has implemented this so called new policy to the max!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's a good point. I also just love posters who immediately blame the victim: "what part of the T&C did you not understand?" and "my dad was a plat, and he never complained". The latter added nothing to the thread and the former missed the point entirely.

...which I guess is why I felt compelled to make this post, also adding nothing. Recursively.

escapefromphl Dec 9, 12 8:00 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 19823023)

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/6559

I blame Marriott not the poster. It's not just one hotel, they have or had this "suite upgrades excluded" language which some properties enforce, some use the other more generous policy. One of Marriott's strengths is it's consistency, except apparently with regards to upgrades.

SkiAdcock Dec 9, 12 9:43 am

FWIW - it would be nice to know which European property the OP was referring to, so that others will know they can only expect suite upgrade if they pay for it. I know the Prague Marriott is like that (they will not give free suite upgrades; only paid), but I've stayed at other European FS properties that have upgraded for free. So it's good to know in advance if we're going to encounter one that is a paid only suite upgrade, so we can make knowledgable decisions re: where to stay.

Cheers.

fieldeng Dec 9, 12 10:14 am

As someone who has left Marriott and came back, I wish the OP good luck. The grass wasn't greener.

At Marriott, I get a consistent level of service (something I didn't get elsewhere) and consistent lounge experience (Hilton and SPG are difficult to find lounges at times). On weekends, I was given breakfast in the hotel restaurant when the Lounge wasn't open.

cyclogenesis Dec 9, 12 10:25 am

I decided to stick with Marriott before I actually gained access to a lot of the higher level services.. this was due to a number of reasons, one it was very easy to earn silver (get em in early).. While the perks are not amazing I am very happy with the level of service I have received. One a recent trip to Melbourne, Aus, the service was exceptional! Recently in Boulder, Co I got a very nice upgrade at a RI and at all properties I have found staff to be courteous and, well, nice!

I will make plat once my recent stay posts.. I do not expect upgrades to suites however if such an upgrade occurs I will be happy! (if you want a suite, the only way to be guaranteed is to pay for it!)

Recently I bought my family along with me to a meeting in SF where we stayed at the Union Square property.. Probably the most value I have got from a lounge.. Free breakfast for the three of us and snacks for my 8 yo (well behaved in the lounge!) an night was a real perk..

Perhaps the grass is greener.. But the fence Marriott has build means I can not really see it and am happy for now :)

lhs323 Dec 9, 12 10:30 am

As far as I know there is no "new policy" to only upgrade people to the next higher category. In fact, the policy has gone in the opposite direction, with language now explicitly allowing for upgrades to suites, particularly in Asia, but even at the rest of Marriott properties.

It seems pretty clear to me that the property the OP went to is simply a stingy property that doesn't deserve Marriott elites' business, but that is not indicative of a larger trend in Marriott.

Of course as others alluded to, for the best lounges, go to Asian Marriotts!!!

Often1 Dec 9, 12 10:49 am

It's also foolish to think that the fact that a property or some properties exceed Marriott's service standard, that somehow this obligates Marriott systemwide.

If all Marriott commits to is a single-tier UG, that's all it does. There is no rule that a property can't UG you to the Presidential Suite and having done so once, must continue to do so.

BKKLEE Dec 9, 12 11:05 am

+1, but then again I've been highly criticized for suggesting the same blastphamy by others .............

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19823936)
It's also foolish to think that the fact that a property or some properties exceed Marriott's service standard, that somehow this obligates Marriott systemwide.

NJUPINTHEAIR Dec 9, 12 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19823936)

If all Marriott commits to is a single-tier UG, that's all it does. There is no rule that a property can't UG you to the Presidential Suite and having done so once, must continue to do so.

Exactly. For further reference, suite upgrades are at the discretion of the property, and always have been. @:-)

NJUPINTHEAIR Dec 9, 12 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 19823181)
http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/6559

I blame Marriott not the poster. It's not just one hotel, they have or had this "suite upgrades excluded" language which some properties enforce, some use the other more generous policy. One of Marriott's strengths is it's consistency, except apparently with regards to upgrades.

Marriott is not to blame, the OP and the poster you linked to are to blame for not reading the rules. Suite upgrades were never a definite perk and they are still not, even in Asia with the new language -- it is, as it always has been, at the discretion of the property.

What's more, to expect a suite upgrade at a resort property is to me a fool's errand, for Marriott explicitly states that breakfasts are not required to be given to elite status holders at such properties, so it seems a wild stretch to me that anyone could possibly think that suite upgrades at resorts are likely, much less a given at such properties!

It also seems to me that the average joe who posts on the Insiders forum seems to be quite ill informed as opposed to many who post here! :cool:

NJUPINTHEAIR Dec 9, 12 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 19823597)
FWIW - it would be nice to know which European property the OP was referring to, so that others will know they can only expect suite upgrade if they pay for it. I know the Prague Marriott is like that (they will not give free suite upgrades; only paid), but I've stayed at other European FS properties that have upgraded for free. So it's good to know in advance if we're going to encounter one that is a paid only suite upgrade, so we can make knowledgable decisions re: where to stay.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice re Prague, Sharon.

BKKLEE Dec 9, 12 12:22 pm

+1

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 19824388)
Marriott is not to blame, the OP and the poster you linked to are to blame for not reading the rules. Suite upgrades were never a definite perk and they are still not, even in Asia with the new language -- it is, as it always has been, at the discretion of the property.

What's more, to expect a suite upgrade at a resort property is to me a fool's errand, for Marriott explicitly states that breakfasts are not required to be given to elite status holders at such properties, so it seems a wild stretch to me that anyone could possibly think that suite upgrades at resorts are likely, much less a given at such properties!

It also seems to me that the average joe who posts on the Insiders forum seems to be quite ill informed as opposed to many who post here! :cool: