Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just thought I would pass this along, as I found it humorous.

Called in to extend the expiration of a 7 night, CAT 1-5 cert. I had it attached to a reservation later this month, but travel plans changed and it ended up being back in my account.
No problem to extend, but was warned that I never should have had a 7 night cert, as I am not a Vacation Club owner. I should only ever have a 5 night.

I chuckled, and let her know that was opposite from my understanding, but she confirmed it with supervisor, since she needed some help figuring out the expiration anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy

Previous rep was very certain to tell me "You just need to TRUST me now that the cert is indeed back to your account but would take a little bit time to show up." Well, it hasn't after 2+ hours. And the current rep seems does not see it in my account either hence she told me to "hang on tight while I checked this further."

I thought a cancellation and returning the TP cert was almost immediately, if being done right. Wish I have called last night with overseas call centers instead. Still on hold and start to wonder if she would even come back or the phone eventually disconnects.

Well, phone is disconnected.
did some changes last night and some were updated immediately and some took overnight to show up.. was just as concerned as you but the rep seemed very experienced and assured that he had it in his system - gave cert numbers etc..
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
If you do decent reading or research, you wille easily find that current certificates expiration can be extended by calling Marriott Rewards.
I understood that they usually only let you extend 1 year, which (as noted in my post) I already did this past January. Are you suggesting that they'll let you extend the certificate indefinitely?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by tonywush
I understand.... but I would say the category adjustment on Aug 18 is no different than the regular annual adjustment. Just another devaluation in the points world.
This. Nobody should expect anything more than the points-value of current certificates to be retain. Those that don't have a same-value category after transition, if you end up with less you have a reason to complain - I'd hope Marriott would either match them to the higher one or to the lower one & refund the difference. Don't expect anything more than that and you can only be positively surprised.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Friend just tried several times and marriott not budging on cancelling/refunding the 45k pts (for cat1-5 cert). I would say you should try nonetheless and this is a "YMMV" case but yeah... not good
Huh. Was any reason given? I've never tried to cancel one of these before, but I assume in the past it was a pretty easy phone call to do so?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by shutter41
I understood that they usually only let you extend 1 year, which (as noted in my post) I already did this past January. Are you suggesting that they'll let you extend the certificate indefinitely?
In the past any upgrade or downgrade bumped the expiration out for 12 months from the change.

I'd certainly not count on that in the new program going forward, however.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
A LOT of current category 6 to 8 Marriott properties are going UP in terms of points redemption pricing after the transition.

I will be angry if my current cateroy 8 certificate, redeemable at Hawaii Marriott resorts (most of them currently cat 8) becomes insufficient to book same properties after Aug/Sept 18
Well, yes. There's a re-valuation occurring with winners and losers. You're basically arguing that your certificate should grandfather you into the current rates.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Well, yes. There's a re-valuation occurring with winners and losers. You're basically arguing that your certificate should grandfather you into the current rates.
I don't know the dates of my intended stay yet. They should allow give me at least 1 year of time to decide what to do with the cert. Category changes normally happen in early March every year.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Hi Happy:

I be same as you: one cat 5 floater and one cat 6 attached to a hotel that is going down in value. Based upon postings here by unattaching and cancelling we will end up with two unattached cat 1-4 (new) and 30,000 MR points. Then we rebook the hotel and use one of the cat 1-4 floaters. End result is same reservation plus 30,000 points and one cat 1-4 floater. Don't need the extra floater but wonder if can be extended after one year or refunded as points?
We dont know whether the extension benefit will still exist or not.

Below is my experiences today on doing a simple detachment and reward booking cancellation - that turned into a very time consuming follow up with 2 lengthy hold time calls to finally semi-assure that things are done right.

Take away is, ALWAYS ask the rep to give you the New Cert Number and an email confirmation of the event.

On the 3rd call the rep found the Cat 6 cert issued this morning from the canceled reservation but the date of issuance is backdated to June 1st when I upgraded the original Cat 5 to 6 and then attached to the reservation. That might be why the 2nd rep could not find it and went to hunt for it but the time lapse was so long the phone eventually disconnected after putting me on hold for over 30 min...

3rd rep did not put me on hold so we had long pause of silence while she was going thru the account - she found an unused Cat 6 cert and gave me the cert number which does not match with anything I have in my records. She said she tried to order a new Cat 6 cert, the system return her the same number of the cert that has June 1st issuance date - so she presumed it was the original cert returned. In reality it isn't. Rather it is freshly ordered by the 1st rep who decided he needed to backdate the cert to the time when I upgraded the Cat 5 so the expiration date would not be extended further I assume?

Even more strange, while we were talking, 2 emails came to my inbox - one was the ordering of a new Cat 6 cert, one was the cancellation of the very same Cat 6 cert - the last 4 digits of the cert does NOT match with the current unused Cat 6 cert bearing a June 1st date the 3rd rep has found. I have no idea whether is the result from the 2nd rep who said she would resend me the canceled reservation email which still has not come yet but is viewable online as canceled. I have made a screen shot of it just in case as I believe the canceled reservations would drop off after a while. May be the 2nd rep also has resent me the emails related to the "redeem" and "cancel" of the Cat 6 cert with today's date Aug 13, that finally come in with almost an hour delay.

Still have not receive the email on the "redeem" of the backdated Cat 6 cert.

Looking at the confirmation emails both show Aug 13 as the date of redemption and the date of cancellation, I believe the 1st rep detached the Cat 6 cert then canceled it because he felt the returned Cat 6 cert should bear the same issuance date of June 1st. He then issued another Cat 6 cert to back date it to the original June 1st date when I upgraded the Cat 5.

Though many reps would not pay attention or care about this discrepancy on the dates as many have said when you upgrade / downgrade, detaching, your cert starts a new year from the date such event happens. This rep decides he needs to correct the date, so he went thru the motion of issuing and backdating the returned Cat 6 cert which the 3rd rep finally finds it. Most likely it is because of the back date June 1st, the 2nd rep is very confused on what has happened. The 3rd rep actually told me she needed to "think through it" when she went silent but not put me on hold for the music. She said despite "they" dont like reps not talking to the customers for long stretch but she prefers to NOT put customer on hold that often can cause disconnect. Rather she would let the line be silent while she thinks thru the issues...

So, for those of you who have to do what I have done - be sure to get the Cert Number of your returned Cert - this way you can compare with the previous records and know for sure a Cert has returned (reissued) back to your account even though you still not see it online.

I still do not see the unused Cat 6 cert in my account but with the cert number the 3rd rep gave to me and her assurance this IS the cert issued by the 1st rep after canceling the Cat 6 booking, I feel more comfortable now and hope this returned Cat 6 cert would show up tomorrow.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have a Category 9 cert that I'd like to use for a stay in London. Problem is there is little likelihood I'll be able to make the trip before fall 2019. I can go ahead and make a booking for a hotel I'd be happy with, but I'm likely to have to rebook later. Under these circumstances, is there any point attaching the cert now? Conversely, is there any risk that attaching the cert will produce a worse outcome than leaving it floating?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
In the past any upgrade or downgrade bumped the expiration out for 12 months from the change.

I'd certainly not count on that in the new program going forward, however.
Read my lengthy post 5109 on today's experiences - a rep took the trouble to cancel the detached cert because it bored today's date while the original date was June1st when I upgraded it from Cat 5 to Cat 6. He then reissued the return cert and backdated it to June 1st 2018. That caused lots of confusion to the subsequent rep(s) who tried to find the returned cert when it has not shown up in my account...

So new "briefing" may be already in effect that NO extension beyond the 2nd year. My upgraded Cat 6 is from a Cat 5 extended once the past March.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Read my lengthy post 5109 on today's experiences - a rep took the trouble to cancel the detached cert because it bored today's date while the original date was June1st when I upgraded it from Cat 5 to Cat 6. He then reissued the return cert and backdated it to June 1st 2018. That caused lots of confusion to the subsequent rep(s) who tried to find the returned cert when it has not shown up in my account...

So new "briefing" may be already in effect that NO extension beyond the 2nd year. My upgraded Cat 6 is from a Cat 5 extended once the past March.
That's really interesting. I think it is entirely possible they are tightening up a bunch of the informal rules in the new program. I wonder if these reports about not being able to surrender for 45K are an example of this. All of this would increase breakage in the program.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:25 pm

Upgraded to Cat 9

I just upgrade a Cat 8 travel package to Cat 9. In my account they showed a refund of 135,000 for cat 8 an a deduction of 165,000 for cat 9 vs the old 240,000 an 270,000. Looks like we may take a heavy hit.
Never seen this before.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by dgstage
I just upgrade a Cat 8 travel package to Cat 9. In my account they showed a refund of 135,000 for cat 8 an a deduction of 165,000 for cat 9 vs the old 240,000 an 270,000. Looks like we may take a heavy hit.
Never seen this before.
135K is equivalent to 45K surrender value plus the buy up from 1-5 to 8 (3x30k). 165K is the same except with the buy up being 4x30K to go to 9.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dgstage
Never seen this before.
I've seen it before. That''s how the process has worked for years. I saw something similar around five years ago.

The difference in points is what really counts when you buy up.
tonywush likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.