Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum challange

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:05 pm

I called three times today, each time got the same response:

"Challenges are available only to members that did not re-qualify for status last year. If you are a new member, the challenge is not available."

Anyone have any success being put on a challenge as a new customer? The American Airlines challenge works for new customers, not re-qualifing old customers. Is this different?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
The problem with a status challenge is that staying the 18 nights in Q1 of 2004 for status the remainder of 2004 lowers the bar and alienates those who stayed the required 75 nights in 2003. While challenges are great to recruit new (or renew) status levels, they do little to reward the status member that remained loyal the year before and earned status the standard way. There should be a standard / elite lite designation for each status for a particular year and priority should be based on that.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:34 am

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
I would not worry about this too much. If you are plat now and get at least 50 nights this year- they may continue your plat status for a additional year.. without asking.. They have done this for me in the past and there are quite a few post about this every year...
Old Mar 4, 2004, 5:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ohmark:
Really unacceptable. I'm not speaking of whether the agent had good info or bad, just the arrogance and lack of respect for what should be a valued customer. Certainly doesn't sound like the Marriott culture Socrates frequently mentions, and which should distinguish Marriott from competitors. But how can this be corrected if you are not willing to mention the name of the agent to a manager? I assume the agent will just treat the next customer in the same way.

[This message has been edited by ohmark (edited Mar 02, 2004).]
</font>
Ohmark and Socrates,

I do not disagree that this is unacceptable.

However as I was asking for a waiver and a favor so it did not feel right to complain to the supervisor. It felt like the supervisor had to know what had been discussed even if not the tone and words by the agent.

Really I do get the Marriott culture and know that this was unacceptable but how many of you would ask a supervisor for a waiver/favor and complain at the same time?

I got what I wanted and did not take it personally that the agent was rude (too many are).

Marriott owns training not me and I am sure that they must have some level of call monitoring software. If this had been a standard call I would have said something. Perhaps based on the above comments I will write MR AFTER I get my Plat challenge done.

Bottom line I did not want to be a complainer or difficult with either the agent or supervisor and discussing the specifics of the call with the supervisor just felt like it would not help me with my goal.

Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I will have 40 nights this year after next week.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobotDoctor:
I will have 40 nights this year after next week.</font>
that's pretty sick

I have only 25.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
It's really to bad that Marriot isn't more forthcoming about the challenges. MrMoreMilesPlease started a new job at the end of last year. They had him usuing a Marriot at the site. Being a Hilton Diamond for the last three years he called asking for a status match. He was given Marriot Silver based on his Hilton Diamond. To bad Marriot didn't mention a challenge. He did about 38 nights between October and Decemeber of 2003 in a Marriot. It woukld have been more but we went on vacation during that time. If Marriot had at least given him a challenge he would have stayed there. He decided to move back to Hilton since he had a usable status there and the company was fine with it. Marriot's loss, Hilton's gain.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MoreMilesPlease:
Being a Hilton Diamond for the last three years he called asking for a status match. He was given Marriot Silver based on his Hilton Diamond. To bad Marriot didn't mention a challenge. He did about 38 nights between October and Decemeber of 2003 in a Marriot. If Marriot had at least given him a challenge he would have stayed there. He decided to move back to Hilton since he had a usable status there and the company was fine with it. Marriot's loss, Hilton's gain. </font>
As is obvious from the wide range of Marriott customer service responses reported by posters who have asked Marriott for status matches or challenges, MR customer service has a significant problem either with the quality of their help, or the quality of the education and training given to the help. As anyone reading these threads can't help but notice, some requestors who clearly did next to nothing to deserve a status match received one (in some cases platinum), while others who clearly deserved a status match, did not even receive a challenge. This is just one more of numerous issues which an official lurker could help with.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kenjack:
You are correct "The Challenge" still exists. I thought I would make Plat. easily in 2003, but had to take some extended time off to care for a sick relative. The short story was that I didn't call the MR line but instead responded to that "Thank you from Bill Marriott, Jr." message at the end of last year and asked for my Platinum status to be extended. Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

I apologize that you were unable to stay the required amount of nights in 2003 to renew your Platinum status. We had and will receive many requests such as yours and have put into place a few options to help our members keep or renew their current status.

The first option we made was that we offered the members who contacted us that we would lower the required amount of nights needed from 75 to 70 for Platinum members who fell a little short. Not all members were able to stay at least 70 nights and so this option did not work for all, but was most appreciated by many.

Secondly, if members were unable to stay a minimum of 70 nights in 2003 and their account is downgraded in February of 2004, for 50,000 points, members may buy back their Platinum status. The status would be valid for all of 2004. If members choose the buy back offer, it would be a final, non-reversible action and the points would not be able to be given back. This option is only available after the account is actually downgraded in our system in February of 2004.

Thirdly, as you know, the Platinum level requires 75 nights per year. This means that Platinum level members stay an average of 18 nights every 3 months. If your account is downgraded in 2004, due to your past achievement of the Platinum status, we can make an exception and only require your account to have 18 Elite nights within a 3 month period in 2004, instead of the required 75 nights in the 2004 calendar year, to renew your Platinum status.

We would like to thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and hope that one of these exceptions will help you continue to be a Platinum member even though you were not able to renew the Platinum level with the set forth requirements.

Sincerely,
Marriott Rewards

Needless to say I chose option number three and am working on night number 25 as I write this. Their follow up response noted that they saw all of my future reservations and would keep an eye on my status so it wouldn't downgrade when it normally would. Also, I recieved new Plat. credentials a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps someone.
</font>
Hi Ken,

What was your prior MR history? I know of some people who retained their Plat status even without staying the required number of nights last year.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: USAirways Gold, Marriott Platnium, Starwood Gold
Just discovered FlyerTalk recently. Excellent community!

I was downgraded to Gold and called them on the challenge. They upgraded me without quesiton since I already have 31 nights this year and 30+ booked through the end of April.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

Jim
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crazyrunner:
Just discovered FlyerTalk recently. Excellent community!

I was downgraded to Gold and called them on the challenge. They upgraded me without quesiton since I already have 31 nights this year and 30+ booked through the end of April.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

Jim
</font>
Congrats. And welcome to FT.

Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Can you get Gold or Plat perks while you are completing a Gold or Plat challange? My colleagues and I will be staying 18 nights at one property in May. Should we call MR first, or just handle this with the front desk manager when we arrive at the hotel?

It would be nice to get a room upgrade, or at least lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.