Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

This Brand New SHS is Awesome! (Chattanooga, of all places)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Gotta brag on this new SHS. The Chattanooga Riverfront SHS has so much that is good.
  • Lobby: The lobby area is large and well designed. Unlike other new SHS, there are no curtains as dividers; instead, there are wood and metal dividers which are cool. And there is a, funky large bar.
  • Outside Area: There is a large seating area on the river, with firepits and nice views.
  • Hot Tub: Up next to glass overlooking nothing but the river, it's pretty cool.
  • Check-in: The check-in experience couldn't have been any better. (And my room was already defeathered!)
  • Room Locks: No need to take the key card out of your wallet or slide anything, it's one of those new fangled things.
  • Breakfast: Real plates, utensils, glasses and mugs. Frittata. Frit-ta-ta!! As good or better than many FS CLs.

This hotel has proven to be an unexpected delight. Thought I would share the info, in the off chance anyone else has plans to be in Chattanooga.

Safe Travels.
CJK

Last edited by CJKatl; Oct 4, 2012 at 5:13 am
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the info - much appreciated! I haven't been to Chatanooga in years, but good to know there's a good property there.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I like to try and visit Chattanooga every couple of years (its been about 2 since I last visited and rafted down the Ocoee river.) So its about time to go back. I have lots of relatives there.

I may have to try this new SHS when I'm there next. I stayed at the Choo Choo the last time and it has gone way down in quality since I had last stayed there. So I need a new place to stay. (Though I was thinking about the Read House as a possible place as well.)
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been quite impressed with the SHSs that I have stayed in over the last few months. The overall theme, operating model, etc., work very well for me.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:49 pm

I agree completely with the OP. I burned a couple of expiring cat. 1-4 certs there a few weeks ago, and I felt like I got a great deal for them. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony overlooking the river, and the views were spectacular. There isn't much fault to be found with this place. If all category 4's were this nice, I would switch my Megabonus earnings to free nights more often.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I've been quite impressed with the SHSs that I have stayed in over the last few months. The overall theme, operating model, etc., work very well for me.
Agreed. Big SHS fans here, especially the newer hotels. SHS is my go-to brand, followed by Ren, FS, CY and FI, in that order. This particular SHS, though, is above and beyond even that high standard.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I've also had great experiences in SHSs. I wonder how much of that is because they are generally very new properties, and whether after several years of wear-and-tear and what I assume is probably lower-quality furnishings if they will collectively start to show their age prematurely.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoctorK
I've also had great experiences in SHSs. I wonder how much of that is because they are generally very new properties, and whether after several years of wear-and-tear and what I assume is probably lower-quality furnishings if they will collectively start to show their age prematurely.
SHS seems to update the furniture more often than other Marriott brands, so it seems they're making a choice to use cheap furniture but keep the look updated. Besides, many FS hotels still have that cheap early American stuff that wasn't particularly well made, which has lasted a long time.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Wow, I was inspired by the "how to earn more bonus points" thread and decided to check out the bonus points options in my general area. I've done this before but I think only used it once (for basically my only leisure stay of the year) since they are usually for weekends, jacked up prices, several night minimums, and generally are only 1,000-2,000 points per stay anyway.

However, I just noticed this property is offering 5,000 points per night, 7 days a week, with relatively reasonable rates ($139-$144). Best deal of this type that I've seen by far.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
double post
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I am looking to stay here for one night on May 12th. I see where it is located on the map but as far as walking distance to restaurants and bars, is it very far and out of the way?

I'm debating between this hotel and the full service Marriott. Opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.