Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What should I expect as a Platinum member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First

During the past 30 days, I have been staying with Marriott properties for 4 times - Ritz Carlton, JW, Courtyard, and Marriott. In each of my stays, I got asked twice for whether I want points or amenities for the the welcome gift. That's pretty much what I got differently from non-Platinum members. No special greetings, no upgrade, and no high-floor room as I listed as preferred room types in my profile. What should I expect as a Platinum member? Is my experience pretty normal? If this is the case, I guess I really should try something else now.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Not to put this back on you but have you tried asking about the things that are important to you? Start with asking about a possible upgrade. If no you ask about a room that meets your prestated higher floor preference.
Ask what amenities are available for your check-in gift. They might surprise you with something beyond the standard.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
all spelled out in B&W.............
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi

Originally Posted by dclocation
During the past 30 days, I have been staying with Marriott properties for 4 times - Ritz Carlton, JW, Courtyard, and Marriott. In each of my stays, I got asked twice for whether I want points or amenities for the the welcome gift. That's pretty much what I got differently from non-Platinum members. No special greetings, no upgrade, and no high-floor room as I listed as preferred room types in my profile. What should I expect as a Platinum member? Is my experience pretty normal? If this is the case, I guess I really should try something else now.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Things like high-floor and upgrades are not guaranteed.

Your bed type is.

The welcome gift is only for Plats so I'm not sure what you mean when you say you already received this.

And as the above poster stated, usually asking for these things works best.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:15 am

The whole platinum thing, with Marriott, is worth very little in my experience of the last two years.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
The whole platinum thing, with Marriott, is worth very little in my experience of the last two years.
I would say the same about not only Platinum but also Platinum Preferred. Still, it's better than nothing (or Silver) with Marriott.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do you get the email about your upcoming trip with a link for the virtual concierge?

If so, enter your request in there as well. They actually seems to get read by a person, and I usually have good luck with things like high floor and upgrades then.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Confirmed upgrades to a suite at the time of booking.
Space available upgrades to the Presidential Suite.
Free hot breakfast for up to four in a room at all brands, even at resorts.
Guaranteed 4 pm checkout with no pushback from the front desk.
Guaranteed availability of award rooms with no blackout days.

Wake up! Wake up! Time to get up.

Wow--was I dreaming?....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Confirmed upgrades to a suite at the time of booking.
Space available upgrades to the Presidential Suite.
What planet?

This is my biggest disagreement with Marriott. So fracking stingy on suite upgrades. SPG atleast gives out suite certificates.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
travelexpert was joking.

Speaking from my (personal) experience I've had better upgrades (including to suites, although not every time) since I became Plat, and normally get asked if I want the points or amenity. I also appreciate the Plat override although I haven't had to use it often, and I like the 50% bonus points. Does every single property acknowledge my Plat status when welcoming me to the hotel? No. Does it matter to me? Not really. There are some properties that are great about it & some that are just eh.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I misread travelexpert's post. Good humor there.

What is the platinum override?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
all spelled out in B&W.............
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi
BKLEE, your circa 1980s pro-wrestling heel announcer act is getting old. Get an f=en life.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
What is the platinum override?
If a hotel is sold out & you're logged in as Plat, you can reserve a room (1 room only for the Plat) unless the hotel has an exemption for a major event (ie, NYE, Super Bowl, an entire hotel being booked by a group). Oftentimes (although not always), it's rack rate for the room but you can get in.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
travelexpert was joking.

Speaking from my (personal) experience I've had better upgrades (including to suites, although not every time) since I became Plat, and normally get asked if I want the points or amenity. I also appreciate the Plat override although I haven't had to use it often, and I like the 50% bonus points. Does every single property acknowledge my Plat status when welcoming me to the hotel? No. Does it matter to me? Not really. There are some properties that are great about it & some that are just eh.

Cheers.
I agree. My experience has been great. The Platinum override has been a huge benefits and I have used it several times to book last minute trip (in the US and overseas). Also, a lot of the intl properties treat Plats really well and go above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and make sure we are satisfied. Some US properties also do that. And has stated above, the bonus points also is a big plus and lets you accrue more points that you can use towards stays.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:39 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fyodor
BKLEE, your circa 1980s pro-wrestling heel announcer act is getting old. Get an f=en life.
So what in the world is a “1980s pro wrestling heel announcer act”. I was actually a young adult in the 1980’s but apparently never watched or heard a pro wrestling heel announcer do his act

fyodor can you please explain? Enquiring minds (at least mine) would like to know. Apparently I missed something by watching PBS instead of WWF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.