Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by imverge
The new credit cards will be introduced this year.
When this year? It can make a difference to those wanting to get the Amex SPG cards this year.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: JGC
My Jan 11 points have been posted. ^
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:19 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Amex Canada will be coming out with a new Marriott Rewards card (once the programs merge) and the SPG Amex will also go away.

In the US both Chase and Amex will issue the new cards.
If you are referring to:

Marriott International Signs New Co-Brand Credit Card Agreements with JPMorgan Chase and American Express | Marriott News Center

I am not sure that will apply to Canada...where did you see MR is in and SPG is out with AMEX.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mitsou_jpn
My Jan 11 points have been posted. ^
Mine as well.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:31 am

Has anyone succeeded in getting anything from Amex in terms of offers if you already hold the SPG Amex card? The MR Twitter account said to call Amex, but just wondering if anyone's had any luck...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Still not sure what to do here. One of the big downsides to this is also the fact that earning star points and transferring to MR doesn't contribute to lifetime status points. The credit card spend was what would eventually put me over what I need.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC50K, Bonvoy LT/Plat
I tweeted MRewards today and they confirmed that the AMEX points do not count towards lifetime, no night cert and we do not get the additional 15 nights. Doesn’t make the AMEX worth it for me. Hoping we’ll see a better option soon.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RocketG
I tweeted MRewards today and they confirmed that the AMEX points do not count towards lifetime, no night cert and we do not get the additional 15 nights. Doesn’t make the AMEX worth it for me. Hoping we’ll see a better option soon.
I too am waiting to see if the Marriott AMEX that is supposed to be coming in 2018 according to the press report in 2017 will make it to Canada. If it does, I am most likely going for it.

As a person who never touched the SPG AMEX before, 25k starwood goes to 75k marriott points, which is worth $120 to me. I predict I'll have more like 90k points once I meet the spend and I typically use my points at 15-20k JW marriotts within ASIA that charge $150-200US a night per room, so yeah, definitely a steal at only $120. For long term it isn't a solution as I want a card that will give me lifetime status points, which this doesn't
pokee likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:37 am

The new credit cards will be introduced this year.
Originally Posted by yscleo
When this year? It can make a difference to those wanting to get the Amex SPG cards this year.
The existing Canadian JPMC Marriott Visa will end on March 15, 2018.

Not sure if the Amex SPG is the designated interim replacement card until a Marriott co-branded Amex will be offered. The correspondence from JPMC is vague except more information to come. There needs to be sufficient time for existing Canadian JPMC Marriott Visa cardholders to apply and receive the new cards before March 15, 2018.

Comparing the Amex SPG and the JPMC Marriott Visa, the Amex SPG has some good additional features but I am surely going to miss the no FX fee on the JPMC Marriott Visa. So the HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard will be the only no FX fee credit card in Canada.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
So the HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard will be the only no FX fee credit card in Canada.
Nope.
  • 0% foreign currency conversion charge
  • No annual fee
  • 1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards
  • Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge
  • Purchase Security Insurance, so you can shop with peace of mind
  • Visa Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
Preferred Visa
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:11 am

Nope.
  • No annual fee
Preferred Visa
Thanks for the info.

Not aware of this card.

The 1% CashBack and no annual fee are very attractive.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I've signed up for a Fido Mastercard (not an affiliate link) from Rogers Bank to replace my Marriott Visa.

This card has no annual fee, charges 2.5% on forex but gives you 4% cash back on these transactions, i.e. you end up 1.5% ahead. Rewards can be applied to transactions at any time via the website or a mobile app.

Application and card delivery were straight-forward and fast. So far, so good.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by airoli
I've signed up for a Fido Mastercard (not an affiliate link) from Rogers Bank to replace my Marriott Visa.

This card has no annual fee, charges 2.5% on forex but gives you 4% cash back on these transactions, i.e. you end up 1.5% ahead. Rewards can be applied to transactions at any time via the website or a mobile app.

Application and card delivery were straight-forward and fast. So far, so good.
I've been looking at that. It may be a good option for online shopping, but not for travel because there are not travel insurances with it at all. Plus, if anything is refunded - returns, refundable deposits, mistakes - you lose 5% (2.5% fee in both directions and no cash back at all). It's turning out that you may need three cards to situationally use for specific purchases - SPG Amex for CDN purchases, hometrust for foreign travel, Rogers for foreign online shopping - and my head wants to explode.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:55 pm

Nope.
  • No annual fee
Preferred Visa
I wouldn't risk a pull on this card, unless things have changed drastically in the past 6 months. Check out this post by Canadian Kilometers -- and more importantly -- the comments section how people reported that you needed to be a client of theirs to be approved.

http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...dit-card-free/

I'd say this option is dodgy, at best. They're rather new, had financial problems previously, and have buggy software. Not worth the hassle, IMO.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, SPG, ClubPremier
Originally Posted by Handcake
I too am waiting to see if the Marriott AMEX that is supposed to be coming in 2018 according to the press report in 2017 will make it to Canada. If it does, I am most likely going for it.

As a person who never touched the SPG AMEX before, 25k starwood goes to 75k marriott points, which is worth $120 to me. I predict I'll have more like 90k points once I meet the spend and I typically use my points at 15-20k JW marriotts within ASIA that charge $150-200US a night per room, so yeah, definitely a steal at only $120. For long term it isn't a solution as I want a card that will give me lifetime status points, which this doesn't
So, you are saying that the 25K welcome bonus after spending $1.5K just equal the annual fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.