Search

Courtyards in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs up Courtyards in Canada

I know a lot of us on this forum are no big fans of Courtyards in the US. Including me: I have really good experiences and some really bad ones.
Just come back from a trip to Canada, with stays in different CY's, and I didn't know what to expect...

What a difference...

As a low silver elite I got 2 upgrades:
- CY Quebec: larger room with nice view
- CY Niagara falls: jacuzzi room

and welcome gifts
- CY Ottawa: drinks, snacks and free breakfast
- CY Kingston: free drinks
- Residence Inn Montreal: free drinks and snacks

The free drinks and snacks are something really trivial but I still really appreciate this small touch.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I know a lot of us on this forum are no big fans of Courtyards in the US. Including me: I have really good experiences and some really bad ones.
Just come back from a trip to Canada, with stays in different CY's, and I didn't know what to expect...

and welcome gifts
- CY Ottawa: drinks, snacks and free breakfast
- CY Kingston: free drinks

The free drinks and snacks are something really trivial but I still really appreciate this small touch.
Was the free breakfast due to status & was it every day? If so, I might add the Ottawa property to the exec lounge list.

Agree w/ you - nice to see properties go above the low threshold that Marriott has for this brand (Asia being excluded from the low threshold).

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

The free breakfast was a voucher for one breakfast for one person. (not one breakfast a day but one breakfast per stay)
I received it for being silver elite. I suppose the benefit is not linked to weekdays as it's just a coupon per stay you can use whenever you want. I was there on friday, saturday.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Wow! I dont think this is the norm though.. I stayed at the Toronto Vaughan CY last week as a gold and got zip...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I stayed at the YOW CY back in February and got a free (non-alcoholic) drink, but I think that's just because I was in the lobby at midnight working on a concert sign and making friends with the front desk staff and not because my father's a platinum and I was staying on his account. My stay at the YYZ CY Downtown in February ended up on my father's account as well and my friends and I got nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 am

The free breakfast was a voucher for one breakfast for one person. (not one breakfast a day but one breakfast per stay)
I received it for being silver elite. I suppose the benefit is not linked to weekdays as it's just a coupon per stay you can use whenever you want. I was there on friday, saturday.
Thanks - I'll add the property to the exec lounge sticky with those details.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

There are two CYs in Ottawa: Downtown & East. Which one did you stay at, so I can add it to the sticky?

Cheers.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There are two CYs in Ottawa: Downtown & East. Which one did you stay at, so I can add it to the sticky?

Cheers.
Downtown
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
I spend about 50 nights a year in Courtyards in Canada, and have found them to follow the usual Courtyards rules in terms of breakfast, ie nothing. I stay maybe 4 times a year in that specific Courtyard in downtown Ottawa, and have NEVER had free breakfast. I don't doubt the op, but I don't know that I would add that expectation to the lounge sticky.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by yul lite
I spend about 50 nights a year in Courtyards in Canada, and have found them to follow the usual Courtyards rules in terms of breakfast, ie nothing. I stay maybe 4 times a year in that specific Courtyard in downtown Ottawa, and have NEVER had free breakfast. I don't doubt the op, but I don't know that I would add that expectation to the lounge sticky.
Ok - thanks for the update w/ additional information re: your experiences. I'll leave it off the sticky for now.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by yul lite
I have always received complimentary breakfast at the Courtyard Ottawa in the market. They say it is part of my platinum offer at the hotel so it definitely does exist. I also get it for all mornings of my stays.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
why anyone staying in CY

Recently i have stayed in Niagara CY for first time. I really wanted to ask this question. Why any Gold/Plat member stays in here? No Breakfast or no lounge. I could not think of any reason. I may not be booking my stay again in CYs but wanted to know some comments on the preference. Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Judging from the comments here, either I have been lucky or the hotels were more generous than they tend to be because I had 3 rooms booked. ( we traveled in a party of 6)

Either way, I enjoyed it. However I will lower my expectations for the next time if I would go back. :-)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by stinger
I have always received complimentary breakfast at the Courtyard Ottawa in the market. They say it is part of my platinum offer at the hotel so it definitely does exist. I also get it for all mornings of my stays.
Ok, you convinced me. I'll add it to the sticky, with the caveat being there are mixed reports on breakfast being provided for free.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by NoviceFT
Recently i have stayed in Niagara CY for first time. I really wanted to ask this question. Why any Gold/Plat member stays in here? No Breakfast or no lounge. I could not think of any reason. I may not be booking my stay again in CYs but wanted to know some comments on the preference. Thanks.
Usually location to where someone needs to be, a good price, or lack of other Marriott properties in the area are the driving factors for people to stay at CYs.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.