Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Seoul, South Korea. Reports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Seoul, South Korea. Reports?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:03 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DH
It's about 5 min walking from Yeoksam and Seolleung subway stations.

Here's the street map from the hotel's website -
http://www.renaissance-seoul.com/eng...nformation.htm

I preferred the Yeoksam stop as there was a Citibank branch right there.

Just got back and if traveling for business, the location of your hotel should come first, not what chain it is affiliated with. I would stay close to wherever you are doing business as traffic sucks in Seoul. Location far outweighs chain affilitation.

For the Leisure traveler, (I'm stating the following after staying in the Renaissance, IC Coex and becoming quite familiar with the Westin Chosun area) hands down the area around the Westin trumps Renaissance and IC's.

The area around the Rennaissance is very commercial, no retail (unless you consider the myriad of massage parlors behind the hotel retail, BTW if you do walk out the back of the Renaissance you will get approached by men asking if you want "massagi" or "Koeran girl"). The area around the IC's is very sterile compared with other parts of the city, you will pay for that sterile mall like environment, Highly recommend staying elsewhere in Seoul if for leisure.

I wouldn't stay at the Renaissance again even if I picked it up for $72USD per night through Priceline like I did.

--
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:10 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I preferred the Yeoksam stop as there was a Citibank branch right there.

Just got back and if traveling for business, the location of your hotel should come first, not what chain it is affiliated with. I would stay close to wherever you are doing business as traffic sucks in Seoul. Location far outweighs chain affilitation.

For the Leisure traveler, (I'm stating the following after staying in the Renaissance, IC Coex and becoming quite familiar with the Westin Chosun area) hands down the area around the Westin trumps Renaissance and IC's.

The area around the Rennaissance is very commercial, no retail (unless you consider the myriad of massage parlors behind the hotel retail, BTW if you do walk out the back of the Renaissance you will get approached by men asking if you want "massagi" or "Koeran girl"). The area around the IC's is very sterile compared with other parts of the city, you will pay for that sterile mall like environment, Highly recommend staying elsewhere in Seoul if for leisure.

I wouldn't stay at the Renaissance again even if I picked it up for $72USD per night through Priceline like I did.

--
I just left the Renaissance today after a 2 night stay on business. The hotel is OK, definitely not as nice as the Westin Chosun or Sheraton Grande Walkerhill. The General Manager hosted a cocktail reception evening of Jan. 9, the executive chef and director of marketing were all there along with GM. The drinks were good and the food was great. They have this reception once a month. I don't know who all are invited. I would time my visit next time to coincide with the monthly reception.

I agree that for leisure stay, I would choose the Westin Chosun for its location and upgrades for SPg Platinum.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:33 pm

Checked in yesterday for a 5 night stay.

First impression is that the hotel is a little dated and could do with a bit of a facelift. For Marriott reward members there is a check in on the top floor. There are two areas, one like a Vegas VIP check in with a couple of desks, refreshments etc then another whole area that is the lounge. Good snack selection and according to the staff they are starting a whole new lounge service on Monday having closed the lounge that was on 21.

All staff have a good command of English and service is top notch. I left my dress shoes in the shoe basket before I left the room and was going to call for the free shine when I got back however when I got back there sat my shoes all shiny. Rooms are comfortable but have a lack of electrical outlets.

Lots of food choices in the hotel and no shortage of coffee shops within a block or two (Starbucks, Coffee Bean etc.) There's also a Dunkin Donuts and a Quiznos across the street if Korean BBQ is not your thing

Hotel is close to the metro but unless you have business in this part of town I would probably not stay here as it's in a pretty financial area. The Westin or IC are better locate.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
We had one night in Seoul, and we were worried about using our annual credit card free night, so we stayed here. I would have totally agreed with sdix assessment in January if it were not for this:

When we were packing to leave in the morning, I happened to strip the duvet off the bed to make a flat surface for packing. There were CRACKER CRUMBS on the sheets at the foot of the bed. We had not eaten in the room, so those sheets were not changed in between customers. The only way this could have happened was if a maid brushed crumbs off the sheet but decided not only did she not want to change the sheets between customers, but that it wasn't even worth untucking the duvet from the foot of the bed when she re-made it with dirty sheets.

DISGUSTING and I will never stay here again.

Last edited by janetdoe; Mar 18, 2015 at 5:07 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:31 pm

Staying here again this week. The executive lounge check in and bar is closed for health reasons !!! Check in is at the front desk. Evening cocktails/snacks are in a roped off area of their lounge and breakfast is in their main restaurant.

Did however get a nice upgrade to a spacious room with a sitting area.

Still needs a good remodel however. When the hotel was built travelers must have had far fewer electrical devices. Outlets are scarce in the room/
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:14 am

Can you ask how long the exec lounge & bar will be closed? Thx.

Why would the check-in part of the lounge be closed for health reasons, if they're still serving food/drink in the lounge?

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
will be arriving Seoul in the early AM 7-ish. I wonder if I could check in given there is room available?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:20 am

Went to book the Renaissance today for a January Seoul trip and see that the hotel is re-branding to the Belle Essence on Jan 1st and will no longer be a Renaissance.

Bummer, decent hotel walking distance to my office! Looks like it's gone independent.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by sdix
Went to book the Renaissance today for a January Seoul trip and see that the hotel is re-branding to the Belle Essence on Jan 1st and will no longer be a Renaissance.

Bummer, decent hotel walking distance to my office! Looks like it's gone independent.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdix

Yes, that is indeed unfortunate. I have stayed at the Renaissance a number of times and quite liked it - the rooms, the lounge as well as the staff. Have to find another place to stay in Gangnam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.