Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Platinum thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Lifetime Platinum thoughts

I am getting very close to getting my lifetime Platinum status, which I have got through many years of personal (and paid for by me) travel. I started choosing Marriott because I liked the locations and the service and have generally been satisfied over the years.

Having been Platinum for a few years now I can honestly say that I haven't really noticed anything special or different from Gold membership, except the Platinum gift (which is often a struggle/embarrassment to get), and the bonus points. No significant upgrades, no extra personal treatment.

I have stayed at a few other hotels recently for a change, and actually found myself really enjoying the stays. Not only that but got an upgrade at a MO hotel which kind of made me wonder why I am staying so loyal to Marriott (but I am incredibly loyal).

Now with nearly 1000 nights and 3 million points later, I wondered what you all think.

Once I get Lifetime, and will be entitled to lounge access forever (or at least until they change the rules, or its a weekend, or its a resort!). What incentive do I have then.

Does anyone agree with me that once you get lifetime it is better to start being adventurous again, and trying other options.

In which case I think Marriott should be offering me a new incentive to stay so loyal. A couple of upgrade to suite vouchers a year (subject to availability at the time of booking). Or a discount on F and B. Or even a breakfast regardless of the type of hotel or day of the week!

The thing I pay for my rooms and therefore price sensitive. Up until now I have been prepared to pay a bit more to stay at a Marriott, to clock up the nights for Lifetime, but when I get it that incentive has gone and I may well go for the cheapest rate, or go to a brand that offers breakfast consistently whatever day of the week it is.

Would be interested to hear what others think, and what others have done in this situation....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I understand your feelings toward Marriott. I've stated multiple times that I trace the decreasing elite benefits to the rise of Arne Sorenson to senior executive status and now CEO.

I travel extensively and pay for ~7 nights/month out of my pocket. In addition, my employer pays for ~14 nights/month. It sounds like you have a similar profile as me - somewhat price sensitive but are willing to pay a bit extra for elite benefits. Based on MY preferences, hotel loyalty programs rank:
1) Hyatt
2) Starwood
3) Hilton
4) Marriott
5) Priority Club
6) Wyndham
7) Club Carlson
8) Best Western
9) Choice
I find that there's a distinct break between the top 4 and the rest of the programs.

I suggest that you consider moving your travels to either Hyatt or Starwood. Or both, as you only need 25 stays/50 nights per year to qualify for top status with both.
You will find AAA membership valuable with both of these hotel chains; they have a lot of deep discounts for AAA members.
Both programs also have lifetime status but Starwood lifetime Gold/Platinum is by far more easily attainable than Hyatt lifetime Diamond.

Make sure to get a status challenge. Hyatt will give you a Diamond Trial which will give you Diamond status at the very beginning of the Trial, including 4 suite upgrade certs.
I'm not as familiar with Starwood's Plat trial but you should be able to get comped Gold status immediately.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by markzz2
Having been Platinum for a few years now I can honestly say that I haven't really noticed anything special or different from Gold membership, except the Platinum gift (which is often a struggle/embarrassment to get), and the bonus points. No significant upgrades, no extra personal treatment.
I think this really sums up the issue not just with the lifetime benefits, but with MR elite benefits in general. There just isn't enough differentiation between gold and plat.

It would be suicide for MR to degrade the gold level as a means to create differentiation since MR gold at 50 nights per year is already the most difficult mid-level status to achieve among the major hotel loyalty brands. So this really only leaves the option of improving the plat level benefits which, as you note, are not highly differentiated from the gold level. MR plat is also the most difficult status level to achieve among the major brands at 75 nights so it really should have better bennies compared to MR gold and compared to the competition.

I'll hit lifetime gold sometime next year and with the current MR benefits structure it really is an open question as to whether I'll want continue to stay and go for lifetime plat or try another chain like SPG.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I understand your feelings toward Marriott. I've stated multiple times that I trace the decreasing elite benefits to the rise of Arne Sorenson to senior executive status and now CEO.

I travel extensively and pay for ~7 nights/month out of my pocket. In addition, my employer pays for ~14 nights/month. It sounds like you have a similar profile as me - somewhat price sensitive but are willing to pay a bit extra for elite benefits. Based on MY preferences, hotel loyalty programs rank:
1) Hyatt
2) Starwood
3) Hilton
4) Marriott
5) Priority Club
6) Wyndham
7) Club Carlson
8) Best Western
9) Choice
I find that there's a distinct break between the top 4 and the rest of the programs.

I suggest that you consider moving your travels to either Hyatt or Starwood. Or both, as you only need 25 stays/50 nights per year to qualify for top status with both.
You will find AAA membership valuable with both of these hotel chains; they have a lot of deep discounts for AAA members.
Both programs also have lifetime status but Starwood lifetime Gold/Platinum is by far more easily attainable than Hyatt lifetime Diamond.

Make sure to get a status challenge. Hyatt will give you a Diamond Trial which will give you Diamond status at the very beginning of the Trial, including 4 suite upgrade certs.
I'm not as familiar with Starwood's Plat trial but you should be able to get comped Gold status immediately.
Thanks for the info. I have stayed at a few Hyatt properties lately and really liked them (especially the Park Hyatt Tokyo and Hyatt Long Beach). Did not even realise that their top level required so few nights.

The Status trial is VERY interesting and I will look into that I think.

I am not a US citizen so the AAA discounts are not an option I believe though do travel to the US a fair bit.

Interesting to hear that others feel similarly and wonder if Marriott would care to comment? (Hello Marriott Concierge??)
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I think this really sums up the issue not just with the lifetime benefits, but with MR elite benefits in general. There just isn't enough differentiation between gold and plat.

It would be suicide for MR to degrade the gold level as a means to create differentiation since MR gold at 50 nights per year is already the most difficult mid-level status to achieve among the major hotel loyalty brands. So this really only leaves the option of improving the plat level benefits which, as you note, are not highly differentiated from the gold level. MR plat is also the most difficult status level to achieve among the major brands at 75 nights so it really should have better bennies compared to MR gold and compared to the competition.

I'll hit lifetime gold sometime next year and with the current MR benefits structure it really is an open question as to whether I'll want continue to stay and go for lifetime plat or try another chain like SPG.
^ I used to be gunning for LT Plat. Now I'll be perfectly happy with LT Gold because there's so little difference between the two statuses.

All of my discretionary business is currently going to Hyatt and Starwood (plus one night @ Club Carlson's Park Inn + Country Inn to get the large bonuses this quarter). I'll renew Hyatt Diamond and reach Starwood Plat before the end of this year but will fall to Gold with Marriott. There is so little additional benefit for Marriott Plat that I can't justify pursuing it. Even my Marriott Gold status for next year will be another soft landing (I was Plat Premier last year).
I'm especially disappointed with the removal of ALL additional benefits for Plat Premier.

Guys, the only way that Marriott's going to change their way is if people vote with their feet. Personally, I'm taking my discretionary business over to loyalty programs that have richer rewards.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My travel has lessened since I made Lifetime Plat. I stick w/ Marriott because I've got Lifetime Plat status, and because of that know I'll have things such as lounge access, Plat bonus, Plat amenity, guaranteed room (48-hour thing), and suite upgrades. The last is not guaranteed but I've gotten them more often than not since getting LP.

I have a couple of trips a year that are reimbursed by clients, but the rest is on my dime.

I used to maintain Hilton Gold as my 2nd back-up, primarily for when I was somewhere where there was a Hilton but not a Marriott or when the price differential between the 2 was too large.

Since my travel has lessened, I dropped Hilton rather than jump through hoops to get Gold (esp when Hilton devalued Gold) & stick w/ Marriott due to the LP.

FWIW - I think it makes sense for anyone to always have at least one back-up chain. Which one is dependent upon travel patterns & goals w/ program. In my corp days I liked Hyatts, but there just aren't very many of them where I travel, so dropped that (also when they dropped the FFN program).

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:09 pm

The alternative, of course, would be to lower the requirements to bring it more in line with competition. If Gold were reduced to 30 nights, Platinum to 50 and threw in breakfast systemwide for Plats, I suspect (at least for 15 minutes) the masses would be calmed.

If they want to keep the 75 level and call it PP, they could add in a handful of guaranteed suite upgrades (along the lines of AA EXP or UA 1K).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Adding C&P and allowing award stays to count for status would improve things at Marriott as well.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club

Once I get Lifetime, and will be entitled to lounge access forever (or at least until they change the rules, or its a weekend, or its a resort!). What incentive do I have then.
But surely you have this already. You are quite likely Lifetime Gold already, but if you have been maintaining Plat Level you will not have been told about it.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup
The alternative, of course, would be to lower the requirements to bring it more in line with competition. If Gold were reduced to 30 nights, Platinum to 50 and threw in breakfast systemwide for Plats, I suspect (at least for 15 minutes) the masses would be calmed.

If they want to keep the 75 level and call it PP, they could add in a handful of guaranteed suite upgrades (along the lines of AA EXP or UA 1K).
This has always been my biggest beef with Marriott...their Elite levels are so out of whack with the competition, yet their benefits are the same or less (and seemingly getting worse, such as loss of EEOs, lounge closings and intentionally sketchy upgrade language).

However, I'm about a year away from Lifetime Plat so at this point I don't want to see them reduce the required nights and invite even MORE people into the ranks to dilute my few remaining benefits even further.

Certificates for suite upgrades on any stay (paid or award) might pacify my loss of the EEOs, but I know that's my personal thought and many here don't care if they have a suite or not.

At this point, Marriott's sole advantage to me is the ability to find a decent hotel most everywhere I want to be. Other than having the best coverage, Marriott has been on a downward trend for at least the past 3 years in my book. Unfortunately, I see absolutely NO sign of them trying to reverse that trend.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:23 pm

I'm lifetime platinum and have been so for almost 2 years, and there's been no change what so ever between now and just being baby platinum or platinum elite.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnaalex
But surely you have this already. You are quite likely Lifetime Gold already, but if you have been maintaining Plat Level you will not have been told about it.
Yes you are right..... but until now I kept thinking that Platinum would be better, only 3 years as Plat has convinced me I was just as well off as Gold.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
?...
Interesting to hear that others feel similarly and wonder if Marriott would care to comment? (Hello Marriott Concierge??)
Marriott does not allow the Marriott Concierge to "comment". They are wonderful in assisting to correct a specific problem for any FT'er who asks, but you will never see them joining in any type of open discussion regarding policies. Ever.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Marriott does not allow the Marriott Concierge to "comment". They are wonderful in assisting to correct a specific problem for any FT'er who asks, but you will never see them joining in any type of open discussion regarding policies. Ever.
Oh well worth a try

The breakfast issue comes up time and again on here, and on the Insiders Official Marriott forum and nobody from Marriott ever comments of the subject.

It would be nice to just hear them say that they are noting the feeling of the membership even if they think it not worthwhile changing the policy.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Oh well worth a try

The breakfast issue comes up time and again on here, and on the Insiders Official Marriott forum and nobody from Marriott ever comments of the subject.

It would be nice to just hear them say that they are noting the feeling of the membership even if they think it not worthwhile changing the policy.
Oh, there are lots of us who agree with you. And think they could perhaps add lounge closings on the weekend, loss of EEO benefits, and....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.