Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

US$200 stolen from my room in Marriott Reforma, Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US$200 stolen from my room in Marriott Reforma, Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
I also lost some money in marriott before

Last edited by kunk00; Aug 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:39 am

Do you mean JW Marriott KL or Renaissance KL?

Originally Posted by kunk00
I also lost some money in marriott kuala lumpur but receive nothing.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
that is ok

Last edited by kunk00; Aug 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:43 pm

I've just came back from a two-night stay at the Marriott Reforma in Mexico. On the last day I left the hotel for a late lunch and left my purse with my wallet in the room. Since it was mid afternoon and the room was already fixed i thought it would be ok (was not expecting anybody to enter).
Staff people must have seen me downstairs going out without my purse and took the opportunity to get USD 100 out of my wallet, and give me $1800 pesos (as if it was a currency exchange operation). And they did pretty organized too: I had my dollars folded in one side of the wallet and $100 pesos folded in the other side, and they folded their $1800 pesos in the correct side, together with my own $100 pesos.
It was my fault that I did not put the purse/wallet in the safe as my passport and other things were. But that opens the question as to how safe our personal stuff are in the hotel room. Forgetting about the money that was taken, I brought to the US money that I was not aware. That could have been anything. The hotel has our address, and since they added money to my wallet, they could as well add drugs and other things for us to transport back to the US without knowing (and claim it later!)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Had an iphone blatantly stolen from the Ren Phuket. Management didn't do anything. Not even adjust my $800 or so bill. Got a few points. Had to buy a new one in OZ for a grand
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
one of my pet peeves with AC by Marriott in both Spain/Portugal (didn't try them yet in Italy) was that they had no in-room safety boxes............
I've only done 2 AC's in Spain (Barcelona and Sevilla) and both had in-room safes.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by atfd
I've just came back from a two-night stay at the Marriott Reforma in Mexico. On the last day I left the hotel for a late lunch and left my purse with my wallet in the room. Since it was mid afternoon and the room was already fixed i thought it would be ok (was not expecting anybody to enter).
Staff people must have seen me downstairs going out without my purse and took the opportunity to get USD 100 out of my wallet, and give me $1800 pesos (as if it was a currency exchange operation). And they did pretty organized too: I had my dollars folded in one side of the wallet and $100 pesos folded in the other side, and they folded their $1800 pesos in the correct side, together with my own $100 pesos.
It was my fault that I did not put the purse/wallet in the safe as my passport and other things were. But that opens the question as to how safe our personal stuff are in the hotel room. Forgetting about the money that was taken, I brought to the US money that I was not aware. That could have been anything. The hotel has our address, and since they added money to my wallet, they could as well add drugs and other things for us to transport back to the US without knowing (and claim it later!)

This is twice now we've heard about thefts at the Marriott Reforma Mexico City. Perhaps a letter to HQ should be written by those who were robbed.

The irony is when you click on 'explore our hotel', the following comes up: "Security guard 24 hours and CCTV System". I'm guessing for the lobby area only vs hallways on floors, but it would be interesting to find out if it is hallways & if they could check who entered the room.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think all decent hotel rooms should have in room safes, and there should be no additional fee for this. Especially in extended stay properties like RI it shocks me that safes aren't provided.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think all decent hotel rooms should have in room safes, and there should be no additional fee for this. Especially in extended stay properties like RI it shocks me that safes aren't provided.
In-room safes being broken into by thieves and/or lifted by them too takes place.

A relative of mine had her passport, laptop and cash stolen from a hotel safe. No additional coverage due because of that.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
Milockie Hotel Safe Lock - Now Available In the U.S

for those of you concerned about your valuables in a hotel safe,

Milockie Hotel Safe Lock - Now Available In the U.S

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...g54i3cel0obqe0

In regards to the OP's money being stolen-Marriott or not, I have always kept my valuables in the hotel safe, though I must confess that I have not used the Milockie safe lock, I guess it could be an option for some here.

Why would you temp someone from a third world country with $200 out in the open? That is probably her monthly salary
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ryan754
Had an iphone blatantly stolen from the Ren Phuket. Management didn't do anything. Not even adjust my $800 or so bill. Got a few points. Had to buy a new one in OZ for a grand
Anything that small and valuable (iPhone or Ipad) should be kept in a hotel safe, the cleaning folks are not paid that well so there is much temptation

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
OP acknowledges it was his fault for leaving the $$ in the first place, but that doesn't invalidate his statement that one should be able to leave things in one's personal belongings (such as backpack, luggage, undies, jean pocket) without them being searched by an employee.

And as bdschobel mentions, not everything fits into an in-room safe. My laptop doesn't, and I'm not about to run down to the front desk to check it into their safe (which has a disclaimer/limit on what can be claimed btw) each time I'm in/out of the room.

The OP will have to chalk this up as $200 lesson learned, but the hotel management/security team needs to be informed as well that they have a thief amongst their employees.
Cheers.
A laptop is a bit more difficult as it isnt as easily concealed, plus some hotels have hall cams that would show the thief making off with your bulky laptop. Cash, jewelry a small tablet? Everything that should fit in a safe, should go there. I am sure some of you have heard "100-200K jewerly/cash stolen from X celeb!" this isnt much different although I suspect that some employees make it a point to target some rich and famous guests.

I once got sick in the Caribbean and stayed in my room recouping--I must of counted 3-4 room checks--maid, mini bar dude-, turn down service, and one more --so u may get luck with one but it only takes one.

Lastly--DO NOT DISTURD sign
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gibraltar87
Lastly--DO NOT DISTURD sign
DISTURD? Really? You just spoiled my appetite for breakfast!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:41 am

my apologies to the hotel, as it was my mistake wrt the money i had in my wallet both dollars and pesos. Nobody touched my wallet. Terribly sorry for the confusion I've created.

Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
my apologies to the hotel, as it was my mistake wrt the money i had in my wallet both dollars and pesos. Nobody touched my wallet. Terribly sorry for the confusion I've created.
Thanks for letting us know it was an error on your part & not theft by a hotel employee.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I can't recommend the do not disTURD sign ;-) but I am a fan of using the do not disturb sign...an employee is less likely to enter the room, and thus won't be tempted by anything that they see...plus, if an employee does enter the room, that in and of itself will be an incident of interest to hotel management, since no one should be entering with the DND out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.