Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott spokesman lies about platinum upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 1998, 7:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

This is a letter I wrote to Randy about something that caught my eye a while ago. I'm just about to Marriott's Black level, and was naturally very interested in this article:

Randy,
I was wondering if you saw this article on the ABCNEWS.COM site (this site has an excellent collection of travel articles, I think.)

http://www.abcnews.com/sections/travel/Crabby/bbs.html

Anyway, the article is talking about the many frequent travelers are abandoning chain hotels for the comforts of bed and breakfasts or inns. One of the points made was that some elite levels offer nothing of value. (A point I concur with - I stick with Marriott for the awards, the levels do nothing for me, really, after you get Gold and start to get the 10% point bonus, that is.)

Anyway, here is the part that interested me:

"I'm really down on Marriott," complains Ward. "They
don't live up to my expectations as far as my platinum status
goes. They give me the same room that anyone else gets who
comes in off the street. It's not special anymore."
Responds Marriott spokesman Gordon Lambourne:
"That's highly unlikely." How so? Platinum members are
practically treated like royalty, to hear Lambourne describe it.
"We go the extra mile to take care of them," he says. "They're
our VIP customers."
Perks include a guaranteed reservation with a 48-hour
notice, automatic upgrade to a suite, in-room amenities like
bottles of wine and fruit baskets. You get the picture.

Of course, the part about the free suite upgrade caught my eye immediately.

However, I called the Marriott Rewards customer service line and asked about this. They said, as I expected, that there was no such upgrade for Platinum members.

I also asked at a couple of Marriott's, and they said no way. One said (the Marriott in Greenbelt, MD) that there were only 4 suites and that they couldn't give them away.

So how about it? Is this suite upgrade a hidden benefit, or was the spokesman mis-informed, or was it a lie for the article?

Frankly, if I knew Platinum gave me free suite upgrades I'd bust my butt to make sure I got that level.

And I'm not talking about concierge level, either. Frankly, the times I've been on concierge level, the only difference is that I have to use a card to get to the floor. Is that supposed to be a benefit? I thnk it's a pain in the butt! Furthermore, at one Marriott, in LA I think, they booked a whole floor of children on the concierge floor. Precisely the opposite of how I would expect them to treat their concierge level guests. Frankly, I'd like to see some concrete tangible benefits for my travel dollars and brand loyalty. Start with free in-room movies for Black and Platinum level, maybe?

Old Sep 1, 1998, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I usually end up the Concierge level. For some strange reason at some Marriots that level is either the same price or $2 a nite more. At $1 for a coke from the machine, it is well worth the price (not to mention free cookies.) I always check out the prices at marriot.com and see what is the best rate to ask for (Our Travel Department is useless for this.) I do agree that this level always seems to be heavily populated with kids. What happened to the days of business only floors?
Old Sep 2, 1998, 11:46 am
Commander Catcop

Marriott probably got the free cookies Idea
from Doubletree.

Old Sep 8, 1998, 10:40 pm
jakelicky

I can tell you that I don't feel like royality.

I do on most cases get upgraded but certainly not to a suite.

There is certainly an expectation that is usually not met, but Marriott sets that expectation for us.

My question would be, does anyone from Marriott read this BB. I would like to hear them respond to the perceive lack of customer service at Marriott properties.

Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is an OLD thread, I hope someone reads my post.
Just made Lifetime Gold, is it worth it to continue on the merry-go-round to chase Lifetime Platinum or are the benies so minimal that Gold would get me just about the same perks. I have been super loyal to Marriott, sometimes to the point of being inconvenient, so now I can "cheat" a little when I need a more convenient location.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Wow, you now hold the record for reviving the oldest (17 years!!!) thread.

To answer your question, yes, it's worth it, just not worth killing yourself doing it.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by danola
Just made Lifetime Gold, is it worth it to continue on the merry-go-round to chase Lifetime Platinum or are the benies so minimal that Gold would get me just about the same perks. I have been super loyal to Marriott, sometimes to the point of being inconvenient, so now I can "cheat" a little when I need a more convenient location.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...light=worth+it
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...light=worth+it
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...te-status.html
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
For me LT Platinum has been very worthwhile. As I am now retired I am flying less and staying less. The link up between UA and Marriott means my LT Platinum with Marriott gives me LT Silver with UA so free bags and E+ seating.

Staying now at the Ren Blackstone in Chicago and have been upgraded to one of the top floors with great views of Willis Tower, Millennium Park, Lake Michigan and Navy Pier (room has 4 windows on two sides).
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No, Gold and PLT status has been given away so frequently since 2008 that I feel they have lost their meaning, properties are in revolt or cutting back tremendously, it doesn't convey the same status it once had. Gold gets you into the watered down lounge when its open. Your opinions will vary...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Just made Lifetime Gold, is it worth it to continue on the merry-go-round to chase Lifetime Platinum or are the benies so minimal that Gold would get me just about the same perks.
Probably not as your LT Gold will give you lounge access which is the best elite benefit IMO. But even that depends on where you travel. Traveling in North America, the benefit is minimal at best with rare exceptions of a few hotels that go above and beyond. Traveling elsewhere in the world the lounge benefit is huge IMO. With the exception of my annual drive to/from Fairfax and Vail, I generally don't stay at North American properties. Even when I do, I don't rely on the lounge/breakfast benefit.

Now having said all that, the best Plat benefit for me is the 50% bonus points vs Gold's 25%. The Platinum override has also come in handy numerous times, and the upgrade benefit is nice especially at international properties.

Getting LT Plat these days is quite easy IMO. It's not like it was when I earned mine which required 3 mil points, 1000 nights, and 12 years. I'm glad I have mine as I have no need to chase that carrot anymore.

Not sure if any other Hotel affinity program is any better. SPG supposedly gives out better upgrades, but that was not my experience the year I matched Plat status and stayed at more SPG properties. The earn/burn ratio at SPG also is not as good as Marriott IMO. Hilton and Radisson I just don't care for. I'm happy with Marriott as my primary choice and SPG as my backup. Any hotel choice right now is not going to be great as hotels are running full and prices are high. When that happens, available benefits (upgrades) and promos tend to evaporate.

The other big factors is what brands you generally frequent. I generally stay at international FS properties and above with the exception of my annual cross country drive where I occasionally stay at FFI and CY.

For those whose stays are predominantly at limited service properties, the only benefit is really elite bonus points as the lounge benefit is non-existent and upgrade benefit is pointless IMO.

I have been super loyal to Marriott, sometimes to the point of being inconvenient, so now I can "cheat" a little when I need a more convenient location.
Not sure what this statement actually means.

I occasionally (once every couple years) stay at other brands, mainly SPG Westin, Lux Coll, and St. Regis, but am not cheating anybody in the process.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Lots of other threads already address the question, "Is LT Plat worth it?" A few are listed above. Not sure why we're rehashing it in a thread revived from 17 years ago. Though today I learned that FT is even older than I thought.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:07 am
Suspended

haven't the requirements for LTG/P been significantly changed in that there is no longer any requirement to have been G/P for so many years (and for LTP at least P for one of those years)?

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Lots of other threads already address the question, "Is LT Plat worth it?" A few are listed above. Not sure why we're rehashing it in a thread revived from 17 years ago. Though today I learned that FT is even older than I thought.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leeky
haven't the requirements for LTG/P been significantly changed...
Yes. And they not only dropped the 12 years requirement, but also reduced the number of points and nights required for each LT level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.