Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cost of 10,000 MR points to a hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of 10,000 MR points to a hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
This happened to me in the past. The hotel apologized and arranged a taxi and paid the fare. No issue. Surprised the hotel in this case didn't arrange a taxi - what could a 4 mile cab ride cost for two days?
Probably around $50 or so, if it's two round trips. Interesting question whether 10k points is of a lesser cost.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyinghome
He awarded 15,000 points. I have no real proof that 15,000 really cost him $100 but he was very nice and seem very honest so I do tend to believe him.
Your situation is similar to the OP's in that the real issue isn't one of how much the points cost the hotel. It's whats the value of the points to you.

I couldn't care less what the points cost the hotel. I'm much more interested in what the issue would cost me (in the OP's case it was the inconvenience of having to find a different way to work/hotel every day) and what I could use the points for.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
You should have gotten 5,000 points, probably less, inasmuch as your co-worker(s) gave you lifts to/from your office.

The fact that your corporate rate once included transportation but now apparently does not, was something for your office to take up with the manager, not you. In fact, if you were really looking out for the company that employs you and apparently has an agreement with the hotel to lodge many of its workers at this hotel with the prior understanding of transportation to/from its office, you should have notified them of this apparent change in their agreement with the hotel. Inasmuch as you apparently did not and instead pocketed the shortfall without passing on this information, actually speaks volumes.
Well said.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I am curious what the hotel gets in payment from Marriott for a reward stay that costs 10K per night. I am sure it is more than what the hotel pays to buy the points.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I am curious what the hotel gets in payment from Marriott for a reward stay that costs 10K per night. I am sure it is more than what the hotel pays to buy the points.
And you would be correct. MR is a profit center for Marriott. MR is a marketing tool that encourages frequent guests to stay a a Marriott brand so the properties pay for the privilege.

I have seen (on several occasions) the rate MR reimbursed my award stay (the property accidentally gave me the wrong bill) and it was usually a pittance ($12-$35, depending on the category of the property). I have also been accidentally privvy to what some properties pay for their points and, while I am not bound by a non-disclosure, I won't say exactly what the amout was but think in the lower single-dollar amount per thousand.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tbm13
I think you read way too much into my original posting. I didn't mention the steps I took to ensure that other employees staying at this hotel in the future will not be impacted by this issue since my posting was about a different question, but I can assure you that I took such steps.
I'm very glad you did. Not only was it an imposition on you to find out that they would not be providing you transportation to your HQ, but they certainly have screwed your employer if they have now changed the terms of the contract. I hope that your employer has taken steps to remedy this matter and although I believe that 5,000 points was sufficient for your difficulties, upon further reflection, I have no problem with your having gained additional points from the encounter. Inasmuch as you were handsomely rewarded for their decision not to provide you with transport, and the song and dance that the FD agent about the cost of the points was a lie, I think that your having garnered so many points was due to their conscious knowledge that they had acted in the wrong and at variance with the contract's terms.

I hope your company will think twice before contracting with this property again.

However, although I likely will never be in the vicinity to stay at this property, inasmuch as they likely breached the terms of their contract with your employer, and they told you a good yarn about the cost of the points, I think it would be quite helpful to your breatheren here to name that property, as its business practices do not seem to be in accord with what we here come to expect from an innkeeper. Consequently, one should not necessarily rely upon any statements that they make to one of us, and therefore, your disclosure of their name could very well help prevent an unwary FTer from getting hosed in the future.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
MR should pay for the Taxi

Originally Posted by hhoope01
So personally, the hotel could have offered to abide by the reservation and provide the transportation (they could call a taxi, rent a car for the OP, have one of the employees or even the GM drive/pick-up the OP for the stay, their choice.)

And to answer the OP's question, I doubt very seriously the hotel actually would have to pay $175 for 10K points. I would guess it would be significantly less.
I was late for the airport shuttle @ CY Montreal due to the front desk was interrupted by phone calls while checking me out. CY called a Taxi and paid for it to take me to the airport in no time ^.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Here is a question

No directly related to your say, but a cost-per-point question:

How do Marriott's get reimbursed for award stays? i.e I spend 40,000 points for one night at Times Sq. Marquis, what does the hotel receive from corporate?
Old May 29, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

How do Marriott's get reimbursed for award stays? i.e I spend 40,000 points for one night at Times Sq. Marquis, what does the hotel receive from corporate?
unfortunately this is confidential information and I can't say much about it other than it's very similar to what Starwood, Hyatt and Hilton all use (and before someone goes on to say it depends on the number of points used to stay that is not correct, points have no direct impact on the reimbursement to a hotel)
Old May 29, 2012, 5:37 pm

Someone posted in one of these forums at some point that the compensation paid to the hotel is higher if the hotel is sold out. Can't even remember what forum that was. Sort of makes sense.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by socrates
unfortunately this is confidential information and I can't say much about it other than it's very similar to what Starwood, Hyatt and Hilton all use (and before someone goes on to say it depends on the number of points used to stay that is not correct, points have no direct impact on the reimbursement to a hotel)
On that note, what do Starwood, Hyatt, and Hilton all use?
Old May 30, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
each of these brands have confidentiality agreements with their personnel as well............

Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Not sure what they use, but I have stayed at a pretty decently booked Cat. 3 Residence Inn recently (which is one of the few corporate owned ones) on a Cat 1-4 cert and they put the price on the folio for reward night together with the price for the remaining nights as well. That hotel got a reimbursment of $15 plus tax for the night (which would cost 15000 points)...

That said, I have a hard time believing that the price hotels pay is anywhere near 1ct per point. We had a major issue during that reward-night, and instead of just returning the Cert to our account we were offered a 15K reimbursment so the rewards night would be free. Given that our following paid nights were just in the low 90s, offering one of those to be complimentary instead of the points would have made a lot more sense if points had a value of more that 0.6ct per point...

My guess they are more in the range of 0.20ct-0.50ct per point, or $20-$50 for 10K points, pretty much echoing BKKLEE's statement. Given Socrates' answer .30ct per point is not the right value, but I am pretty sure it's within the mentioned corridor.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

other than to say something similar to what Marriott and IHG use I can't say much...sorry it's all confidential
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djohannw
Not sure what they use, but I have stayed at a pretty decently booked Cat. 3 Residence Inn recently (which is one of the few corporate owned ones) on a Cat 1-4 cert and they put the price on the folio for reward night together with the price for the remaining nights as well. That hotel got a reimbursment of $15 plus tax for the night (which would cost 15000 points)...

That said, I have a hard time believing that the price hotels pay is anywhere near 1ct per point. We had a major issue during that reward-night, and instead of just returning the Cert to our account we were offered a 15K reimbursment so the rewards night would be free. Given that our following paid nights were just in the low 90s, offering one of those to be complimentary instead of the points would have made a lot more sense if points had a value of more that 0.6ct per point...

My guess they are more in the range of 0.20ct-0.50ct per point, or $20-$50 for 10K points, pretty much echoing BKKLEE's statement. Given Socrates' answer .30ct per point is not the right value, but I am pretty sure it's within the mentioned corridor.

Greetings - Dirk
it's funny how often hotels purchase points to reimburse a guest for a redemption stay...makes no sense to me, it's much easier to simply not redeem the certificate

FYI a hotels published rate has nothing to do with the reimbursement amount, it's all about point demand/supply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.