Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

When does Elite status start/finish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Having just amassed 11 nights in a single trip, I now qualify for Silver and this now shows on my account page.

However, when does this kick in? Now, or at the start of my membership year next Feb? And likewise, when does it expire? In 12 months from now, or 12 months from the start of my membership year?

Given trips I have coming up, my ideal would be if it ran in accordance with the membership year, but would appeciate a clarification.....

Thanks very much.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:33 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Sliver status kicks in immediately once you have the required nights. Whatever status you earn during 2012 will last until Feb. 28, 2014.

So you'll have silver status for the rest of 2012, all of 2013 and Jan/Feb 2014.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy reply; that's great news.
I'm not a regular business traveller so to make silver is not a comon occurence. I'm planning to take my better half away for a significant birthday in Aug 2103 and was hoping the status would still be in effect then so we can make use of the benefits......
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:52 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
The silver benefits aren't that great. However, if you were able to get to gold you'd notice more benefits (except at resort properties).

If you sign up for the Marriott VISA you'll add another 15 nights this year.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

In all honesty, I can't see me making gold! (Nice as it would be!)

However, I have just noticed that the free upgrade, lounge access and free wifi are now @ Gold. Didn't these used to be silver benefits?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drscoop
In all honesty, I can't see me making gold! (Nice as it would be!)

However, I have just noticed that the free upgrade, lounge access and free wifi are now @ Gold. Didn't these used to be silver benefits?
It's too late, you should have asked for a Gold challenge before your 11 night stay. Silver gets you a few bonus points but that's about it.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Hmm...shame I didn't spot that!

However, is this an on-going promotion? Can't I just call up and get this applied for the Aug '13 trip an get the benefits on that stay anyway?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drscoop
Hmm...shame I didn't spot that!

However, is this an on-going promotion? Can't I just call up and get this applied for the Aug '13 trip an get the benefits on that stay anyway?
Shh, but yeah, you could. The downside is that if you don't meet the qualifications, you want be able to do another challenge for a long time. Assuming they keep allowing this into next year, just call up a month or two ahead of time and request the challenge.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TimF1975
Shh, but yeah, you could. The downside is that if you don't meet the qualifications, you want won't be able to do another challenge for a long time. Assuming they keep allowing this into next year, just call up a month or two ahead of time and request the challenge.
bolding mine...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Also note, status begins once your qualifying stay POSTS! So if a property takes a few days to post your stay, you may not get status benefits for a stay the day or two after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.