Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Interesting E-Mail from MR on "Voluntary Participation" in the Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC

I'm looking at places to take a vacation this fall and thought of the Bulgari Resort on Bali. I knew that it was somehow tied to Marriott, and found that it is listed on the Ritz-Carlton site as a partner hotel of theirs. I wrote to MR to ask if point redemptions are available there, fully expecting the answer to be no.

That is essentially the answer I got, although the text of the e-mail also contained this eyebrow-raising statement (bolding mine):

"The Bulgari Resort in Bali does not participate in the Marriott Rewards program. All Marriott hotels and partners decide their voluntary participation in our free frequent guest program and reserve the right to end or change that participation at any time without prior notice."

Really? Any hotel can choose to drop out of MR at any time?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm looking at places to take a vacation this fall and thought of the Bulgari Resort on Bali. I knew that it was somehow tied to Marriott, and found that it is listed on the Ritz-Carlton site as a partner hotel of theirs. I wrote to MR to ask if point redemptions are available there, fully expecting the answer to be no.

That is essentially the answer I got, although the text of the e-mail also contained this eyebrow-raising statement (bolding mine):

"The Bulgari Resort in Bali does not participate in the Marriott Rewards program. All Marriott hotels and partners decide their voluntary participation in our free frequent guest program and reserve the right to end or change that participation at any time without prior notice."

Really? Any hotel can choose to drop out of MR at any time?
Any franchise can probably stop being a Marriott and thus stop participating in the program. But why would they?

These loose partnerships are another story...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I see what you mean, Allan, but that would imply to me that in order to fly the Marriott flag a property has to abide by a whole set of standards, some of which regard participating in MR. The way this e-mail was worded was just very loosey-goosey to me, as if any hotel can basically pick and choose when and how they want to be a part of MR.

As an extreme example, I could check in and get a wonderful upgrade, access to a CL, and a platinum welcome amenity while the guest behind me could get squadoosh because the front desk clerk decided at that moment that he wanted to "change their participation".
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I agree the wording of the email is a bit disconcerting, but undoubtedly true. They would have to be listed in the T&C though as it is not something they can pick and choose on a whim. So the scenario you describe would not work IMO.

Regarding Bulgari and other RC partner hotels, RC Reserves, RC Residences, RC Singapore hotel, etc. they have always been excluded from MR and RR since RC joined the rewards program. See # 11 in General section of the Marriott Rewards T&C for details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.