Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tampa - Marriott Waterside VS Renaissance Vinoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Hi

I'm planning a vacation in Tampa during memorial day week and looking at 2 Marriott properties in the area.

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina

or

Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

Anyone stayed in both of the properties, can I get a recommendation between the two? I'm using my Marriott points to celebrate my wedding anniversary. Both are same category 5 property. Which one would impress my lady more?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:10 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, leesbkr
FT has an active and helpful Marriott Forum, so I am moving your thread to Marriott.
Good luck.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: mariott, hilton,southwest
Both are great

It’s been about 5 years since I stayed at both hotels . Both are great hotels in my opinion. I would choose on location. The Tampa Waterside is close to Ybor City (bars and restaurants, they had a shuttle from the hotel to Ybor), the hockey arena, aquarium, and downtown Tampa. If you choose the Waterside be sure to get a waterfront room, the view is worth the upgrade. The Vinoy is close to the Pier, and additional bars, restaurants and the beaches. My advice is to google the area and points of interest I mentioned above and make your decision based on what you think you will enjoy the most. Good luck and have fun, you can’t go wrong with either hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Waterside is ok, but the Vinoy is a world-class historic property. If the goal is "impressing my lady," it's not even close.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
The Vinoy hands down on this one.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:54 pm

as a Tampa native, I would naturally say Marriott waterside so your money comes into my city haha

depends on what you're looking to do in the area. In my opinion, Marriott Waterside is near more fun things to do (Channelside has a lot of restaurants, the Tampa Aquarium, movie theater, near the St. Pete Times Forum, and some other places)

but hands down since it's your anniversary, Renaissance Vinoy..I think they were named a top 10 romantic hotel in 2011 by some website.

nearby the Vinoy is the newly built Dali Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, the Pier for a romantic walk, Pier Aquarium and the Mahaffey Theater for the Arts.

happy (early) anniversary!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
IMO, The Renaissance Vinnoy is the best value Cat 5 in Marriott's system. It is a classic resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.