Wiki Posts
Search

Is This Tacky or Not

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Is This Tacky or Not

Please settle a disagreement between me and Mrs. JTP. Coming back from Rockport, MA we had some lobster rolls and chips packed away for lunch. Upon checking in to the Marriott Long Wharf at 1 PM we headed up to the CL and proceeded to have our lunch. No one was in the lounge and we cleaned up after ourselves. Was this "tacky" or acceptable?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: none
It depends on what the others in the lounge thought.

If there wasn't anyone else, then so what?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Perfectly fine in my opinion, but why are you concerned if we care? Live your life bro!

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't know if it would be tacky or not. If the lounge isn't being used much and few people to no one there, I don't see a big issue. The one thing I might have done would be to ask the hotel management if there is an issue with my bringing food into the lounge.

The lounge is usually larger than a hotel room and more open. As such, I can see why you might want to take a meal there rather than eat it in your room.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Personally, I don't see a problem. I don't recall lobster rolls being very pungent and shouldn't offend anyone. If it was some smelly fish dish or such, and there were others in the room, then going elsewhere (outside?) would be wise. Most rooms I get are not really set up for a comfortable meal environment and making use of the lounge is fine. Since no one was there, it's even better.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Based on what you've posted...seems acceptable to me.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by bitburgr

+1
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
As long as there isn't any sign prohibiting outside food, I think using the lounge as a dining room is fine.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by jtp1947
Please settle a disagreement between me and Mrs. JTP. Coming back from Rockport, MA we had some lobster rolls and chips packed away for lunch. Upon checking in to the Marriott Long Wharf at 1 PM we headed up to the CL and proceeded to have our lunch. No one was in the lounge and we cleaned up after ourselves. Was this "tacky" or acceptable?
Not at all assuming you were entitled to be there in the first place. I've seen people order or bring boxes of pizza in and didn't think anything odd about it. During a snowstorm last January that shut down KC, we worked (quietly) and ordered room service lunch to the lounge. Given the generally poor and limited quantity of CL offerings over the last few years, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often

As long as you are reasonably quiet and respectful to the lounge and its occupants, I think almost anything goes. But I'm also one who takes my cell into the hallway for calls...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:56 am

It's not like it's a private restaurant. I think it's fine.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We've had pizza delivered to the lounge before...in fact, it was the lounge attendant's idea and he provided a good recommendation for a local delivery joint.

It was an off-peak time and we were the only ones in the lounge. I personally wouldn't have done it in a crowded lounge, but at 9:30PM on a Monday night it made for a good time and place to eat pizza and watch football. We bought a few beers from the attendant and tipped well...

So no, I don't see any problem with eating in the off-peak hours if you aren't impacting anyone else...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by bitburgr
+1 ^
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
Seems completely fine to me, but I'm not always the best judge. At least according to my wife.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
So which side of the argument was the Mrs. on? (Note that I did not ask who won; in this situation there is no winning for the OP.)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by jtp1947
nope. you're entitled to use the lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.