Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another: Your Special "Thank You" Offer-for extending PLT status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

Frankly I haven't "qualified" for the PLT status for the past three years as the offers at competing chains have been better. I have, however, taken advantage of offers that Marriott has extended me.

Here's the latest one:

Your Special "Thank You" Offer

Dear holtju2i:

As an Elite member of Marriott Rewards®, you're one of our most valued guests. And to thank you for staying with our Marriott® family of brands this year, we'd like to offer you this special opportunity.

We'll renew your Platinum Elite Membership status (effective through February 2013) when you stay with us just 20 more nights between October 1 and December 31, 2011. In other words, you can continue to enjoy exclusive Platinum Elite benefits for fewer stays than normally required, including:

• Guaranteed lounge access/free breakfast

• Guaranteed Platinum arrival gift

• 48-hour guaranteed room availability

• Free high-speed Internet access

• 50 percent bonus on Marriott Rewards points

You don't need to do anything to take advantage of this special Elite "Thank You" offer — you've already been pre-registered. You can also continue to participate in our other promotions. So make your next reservation by visiting MarriottRewards.com or calling your local reservations number.

Again, thank you for your business. We hope you'll take advantage of this Elite "Thank You" offer, and we look forward to seeing you on your next stay.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Holtju2 ... How many nights do you have so far this year ?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I got this offer as well

I'll probably take them up on it as my new job is really gung ho at staying at Marriotts as often as they can so this should be easy and cranks me out another year at plat when I thought I wasn't going to make it

on that note, it does make my SPG renewal a bit tougher now
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:18 pm

I received the same offer, but what it states in my MR account is that I need 20 nights from Oct 31 to Dec 31 (Not Oct 1).

I suppose it is a system error and sent an email to CS to confirm.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
This is very similar to the PLT challenge where they require 18 nights in 90 days. I wonder if Marriott is projecting low sales since once people make PLT they make an effort to start staying at other chains.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu
This is very similar to the PLT challenge where they require 18 nights in 90 days. I wonder if Marriott is projecting low sales since once people make PLT they make an effort to start staying at other chains.
I think the offer is extended to someone like me who have stayed around 50 nights so far this year and would only marginally make 75 before year end.

Staying at another chain next year to reach elite status means that I would not be able to stay at Marriott much - kind of defeat the purpose of already being a PLT in the first place.

Last edited by Flyer888; Sep 23, 2011 at 7:31 am
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4getofn
Holtju2 ... How many nights do you have so far this year ?
30 of which half are from the CC.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Holtju2 ... That sounds like a sweet deal ! At the end of the day you get platinum for 35 "but in bed days", not bad. Maybe Marriott could find a way to offer something equally as awesome for us 200+ night users
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu
Maybe they shouldn't have yanked the BOGO if they are suspecting low sales--cause they just got lower!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Holtju2 ... That sounds like a sweet deal ! At the end of the day you get platinum for 35 "but in bed days", not bad. Maybe Marriott could find a way to offer something equally as awesome for us 200+ night users
IMHO anyone who does as many nights as you should most definitely spread the love around. I do more than 300+ yearly and do Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, SPG, and InterContinental. Moving my stays around depending who offers the best promotions.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
IMHO anyone who does as many nights as you should most definitely spread the love around. I do more than 300+ yearly and do Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, SPG, and InterContinental. Moving my stays around depending who offers the best promotions.
365 days a year,104 of which are Saturday/Sunday.

Geez,you average less than 1 day a week at home
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
365 days a year,104 of which are Saturday/Sunday.

Geez,you average less than 1 day a week at home
Actually, haven't had a "physical" home since 2004.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
I'm currently Gold and just got a similar offer (though not as good as the Plat offer) - stay 14 nights between 1 Oct and 31 Dec and get Gold renewal for another year. I've only stayed 17 nights with Marriott so far this year, so at least this gives me a way to hit Gold and still cover my bases with SPG as well.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;

This is an idea that Bill Marriott and his people need to look at. The niche for 200 nighters is small, very small...but what if you got a bigger share of them. Of this group there are many that put in 150-170 at Marriott but give the other 30-50 to Hilton or SPG. What if they could get these 30-50 nights? People who spend 200 nights out are astute. They know the points games. If Marriott set a new bar/challenge that for 200 nights you get 1) 100% bonus on points 2) free movie 3) breakfast weekend coupons at F/S properties 4)Courtyard breakfast, 5) Quarterly EEO;::::then Marriott would own the 200 night warrier, shatter competion on this niche.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
+1

I'm at 193 nights this year and will easily blast through 200 by mid October. I guess they figure I'm already committed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.