Wiki Posts
Search

New Pillows Please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
New Pillows Please!

As a Plat Premier; I spend most of my time @ Marriott properties, leaving very few occasions to experience other brands. However, this week I was required to stay at a Holiday Inn Express (not by my choice). However, I will give HI props for the pillows. 10,000% better than my beloved Marriott's. IMHO, I'd like to see Marriott improve upon the pillows in their properties. I hate them, to the point I will go out and purchase a pillow at Target and leave it behind upon checkout.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well Marriott has different brands. Are you saying all brands have lousy pillows? I actually like the feather pillows in the FS hotels.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I agree with Sharon and find the feather pillows very comfy. I used to have "extra feather pillows" on my profile but stopped it because I would end up with six pillows in the room. Now that I made the change I am noticing more of their awful foam pillows. I check immediately upon check in to avoid problems later.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
The Marriott (all brands IMHO) pillows are horrible. I can get by with the feather pillows, but Westin and Sheraton pillows are vastly superior.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
IME, pillows....like a lot of other things at HI and HIX are "hit and miss"....although the trend there seems to be going in the right direction. On balance, I find pillows at Marriott-branded hotels to be better. I speak from limited experience with Holiday Inn, however, given that Marriott is my preferred vendor.

All of this said, it's a fact that some Marriott-branded properties have been neglecting their pillows. Not sure what the percentage would be, but it's significant. My theory is that pillows included when Marriott upgraded their bedding package a few years back are approaching or surpassing their lifespan, and too many locations are neglecting to replace them. I stand to be corrected on this, but for whatever reason there are too many hotels with less-than-comfortable pillows.

Last edited by cyberdad; Aug 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm Reason: formatting error
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
FYI a few of the Ritz-Carlton's have pillow concierges
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
To each their own. I actually don't care for Sheraton/Westin pillows at all and love the feather pillows at FS Marriott.

That said, Hampton Inn get my award for the worst pillows. Something about them drive me crazy.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
To each their own. I actually don't care for Sheraton/Westin pillows at all and love the feather pillows at FS Marriott.
Definitely agree....as long as the Marriott pillows are of up-to-date, up-to-snuff vintage and not worn out.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I agree. I just received two king size Renaissance feather pillows from:

http://www.collectrenaissance.com/index.aspx

They're having a 20% off sale right now.

The Ren pillows are my favorites. To each their own...
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I agree. I just received two king size Renaissance feather pillows from:

http://www.collectrenaissance.com/index.aspx

They're having a 20% off sale right now.

The Ren pillows are my favorites. To each their own...
I haven't checked the spec in a while (and I might be confusing it with either Westin's or Hyatt's spec but dont believe so) but you can also find these pillows at Costco - "Pacific Coast" or something close to that
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by socrates
I haven't checked the spec in a while (and I might be confusing it with either Westin's or Hyatt's spec but dont believe so) but you can also find these pillows at Costco - "Pacific Coast" or something close to that
Yes, the Ren pillows are made by the Pacific Coast Feather Co. The pillows at Ren properties have the tag from Pacific Coast on them and IIRC so do the pillows at Marriott properties.

I checked Costco before I bought, and the ones at Costco appear to be different from the Ren pillows. The Ren pillows have a separate inner chamber filled more densly with down while the ones at Cosco do not. For whatever reason this type of pillow seems to work really well for me and how I sleep.

If you look at Pacific Coast's website they sell dozens of different types of pillows. Right now with CollectRenaissance having a 20% off sale I got a better price than I would have buying directly from PC and I'm also certain that I got the exact same pillow that I like at Ren properties ^.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.