Wiki Posts
Search

Towels!!! or lack of them?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Towels!!! or lack of them?

I know this may sound a little petty but I am platinum and stay worldwide.

I have noticed in the past year that the provision of towels at Marriott and Renaissance properties has not only been reduced but the quality is not as good.

I do enjoy a bit of luxury when I stay away from home and I hate it when two of us check in and there is just 2 towels in the bathroom.

I know I can ask for more (I hate having to do that) but there used to be at least 4 bath towels in each room.

Currently in a large European Marriott and the two towels are really thin and poor quality.

I would rather they save money by leaving the barely used soap and shampoo bottle for another day instead of replacing it every day (which is so wasteful).

Anyone else noticed or is it just me being picky again!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by markzz2
I know this may sound a little petty but I am platinum and stay worldwide.

I have noticed in the past year that the provision of towels at Marriott and Renaissance properties has not only been reduced but the quality is not as good.

I do enjoy a bit of luxury when I stay away from home and I hate it when two of us check in and there is just 2 towels in the bathroom.

I know I can ask for more (I hate having to do that) but there used to be at least 4 bath towels in each room.

Currently in a large European Marriott and the two towels are really thin and poor quality.

I would rather they save money by leaving the barely used soap and shampoo bottle for another day instead of replacing it every day (which is so wasteful).

Anyone else noticed or is it just me being picky again!
I don't think it's petty. You're in a hotel. Relaxation is a big part of the draw. Big, thick towels are conducive to relaxation.

I would agree with your assessment.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
The only way to get the message across that you need more towels is to call and have housekeeping deliver them. Once they realize that guests want more, better quality towels as a matter of course, they will stock the room that way to begin with.

Of cours that assumes that a large number of people agree with your take on the towels.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I always request extra towels when making reservations and usually have about 4 in room.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN CP, Marriott PP, Hilton Gold
And I thought that I was the only noticing this. Good to see that it was not just me.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
The only time it bothers me is when traveling with my family, then I always have to call for more towels.
Quality of the towels has gone down a bit over the last couple years. I actuallly get better towels at the new Springhill's than I do at the Ren, or Marriott!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:50 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I noticed this on a recent trip to Asia-- there were always 3 towels in a room, even though I was in a suite in some of the properties. 3 may be fine for a regular room with one king bed, but I would definitely expect more in a suite.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I would rather have two towels that were better quality than what's currently being used than four towels of the present quality. I remember a time, not too long ago, when I used to be at home wishing the hotel towels were sitting next to the shower. Now, I find myself wishing I had towels that were closer to the quality of what I use at home when I'm at a hotel.

Maybe this has something to do with the political uproar in Egypt? All the good cotton supply is gone?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Recent stay at Marriott City Center Charlotte got me extra towels in the room when I checked in. But the towels then and all week were old and thin. Even at the Ritz Charlotte before then, I had the extras upon check in, but never again. At least the towels were not as old and crusty. Both places, when I returned to the room before dinner, called and had extras dropped off while I was out.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I would rather have two towels that were better quality than what's currently being used than four towels of the present quality.
+1.

I have extra towels on my profile, so I usually (but not always) have plenty.
I have to say that at some properties, what having extra towels means is that it increases your odds of being able to get lucky and find a semi-decent one.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Yes, you're being picky...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
I have learned to pick up a couple of extra towels when I visit the fitness center.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jtp1947
I have learned to pick up a couple of extra towels when I visit the fitness center.
I hope you got the clean ones...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Why do you need more than one towel/person? I find one is always plenty to dry me following a shower, and as long as the towel rack is well situated, I can hang them up to dry, and use once more before having them replaced.

Quality of towel is another point entirely, with which I would concur.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by markzz2
Let's keep the location a secret. That way, others will get to experience the same thin and poor towels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.