Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points deducted out of the blue for "cat 7 certificate" - hour+ one phone and no help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points deducted out of the blue for "cat 7 certificate" - hour+ one phone and no help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta Gold, USAirways Gold, Marriott Silver, AMEX Platinum, Hertz Prez. Circle

Has anyone had points deducted out of their account out of the blue before, and converted into a category 7 1 night award certificate without any reservation? I initially thought someone had hacked into my account, but it doesn't make any sense that someone would buy an award certificate.

I've spoken to three different customer service reps. today, but am tired of spending over an hour on the phone while they "investigate."

And no, this is not an award I've earned - I haven't had a paid stay at a Marriott since last year. My account was at almost 100k this morning, and I want my 35,000 points they "converted" back because shouldn't it be up to me what category hotel I want to use my points at?

If the answer is "keep on calling," any tips on how to get someone who can actually figure this out rather than spend 30+ minutes trying? I start with the Silver line, and they usually refer me to the rewards folks.

Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Something is missing here

If you had a certificate issues with no reservation, then it should be sitting in your unused certificate area and should be easy to convert back to points.

I reserve and cancel awards all the time.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, DM Silver, RR, AA, US, BA
Try email

Sounds like you're not getting the help you need on the phone. I would login to the Marriott site and send them a secure email. Click on Help at the top of the page. It may take them a couple of days to get back with you, but you wont have the frustration of being on hold for hours.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta Gold, USAirways Gold, Marriott Silver, AMEX Platinum, Hertz Prez. Circle
Thanks guys. tbaumann3, that's just what I did - I sent a message. Followed up with a call today while I was in a queue waiting for something (figured I'd try multitasking).

Was told that for a cancelled reservation back in June that I cancelled well within the timelines and received my refunded points for immediately... the hotel said I had reinstated the reservation at the front desk (???) and paid for all my incidentals with cash???

Clearly a huge mistake, since I've never even been to that hotel - and that night, stayed at a different hotel in fact which I why I cancelled! I'm hoping this is easy to prove since they must have security cameras and other procedures that will show that I never stayed there.

I called the accounts department at that hotel, of course no response when I call or from leaving a message. Will give them until Monday until I start blowing their phone lines up!

So annoying... Marriott Rewards customer service, when I spoke to them, said it's between me and the hotel at this point. This is very frustrating, why does the hotel have so much power to do this? 2 months later, as well (why didn't the "reinstate" immediately... sounds fishy.

Sorry for the long reply. Not sure if this is like the SPG forum, but if this turns into a huge issue I'm hoping a Marriott cust. service insider will be around to help.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
PM Marriott Concierge with all your details & ask for assistance.

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by sparklygirl
So annoying... Marriott Rewards customer service, when I spoke to them, said it's between me and the hotel at this point. This is very frustrating, why does the hotel have so much power to do this? 2 months later, as well (why didn't the "reinstate" immediately... sounds fishy.

Sorry for the long reply. Not sure if this is like the SPG forum, but if this turns into a huge issue I'm hoping a Marriott cust. service insider will be around to help.
1. Your response from Marriott CS is fairly typical of Marriott; that is, referring you to the hotel rather than getting directly involved. It is definitely a Marriott weakness.
2. There is a Marriott lurker here (a group called Marriott Concierge), but they will generally not get pro-actively involved like William and company. However, nothing precludes you from PMing Marriott Concierge and asking for help.

Last edited by ohmark; Aug 6, 2011 at 2:12 am
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

FRAUD?

Well calling the hotel numerous times has resulted in nothing - left messages for different people and still no response.

I called Marriott Rewards and told them the hotel wasn't responding, probably the most helpful agent I've worked with so far said he'd escalate and for me to check back in. I just called and there was no response to the first agent.

Another agent just called now, finally reached someone who said there is a record of me checking and giving cash. Ok, the same night that I was at another hotel, using my credit card on dinner and other stuff? Total ridiculousness.

I'm going to contact the person here as well, but I don't know what will happen. Extremely upsetting to have 35K taken out because South Beach Marriott either doesn't check ID, has shady people working the front desk (and letting their friends in on other individual's CANCELLED reservations), or who knows what.

Last edited by sparklygirl; Aug 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm Reason: forgot to say cancelled
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You need to contact customer care with Marriott (800-535-4028). They are available 7 days a week (Monday-Friday from 7 am - 11 pm CST & the weekend from 8 am - 9 pm CST). I am not as sure about the weekend hours, but you should definitely reach someone if you call before 8 pm CST on the weekends.

Marriott Concierge should be able to help you out as well, but there is nothing wrong with getting the ball rolling with customer care.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:19 am

It was suggested on August 5th that you PM Marriott Concierge & ask for his/her assistance in getting this sorted. Sounds like you didn't do that. Why not? This might have been fixed by now.

Try the PM at the beginning of the week (they work Mon-Fri), or just write Bill Marriott's office.

Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It was suggested on August 5th that you PM Marriott Concierge & ask for his/her assistance in getting this sorted. Sounds like you didn't do that. Why not? This might have been fixed by now.
A bit harsh. The OP immediately reached out to Marriott in various ways. Once Marriott was contacted, this should have been immediately dealt with, regardless of whether the OP used procedures suggested here or not. It's Marriott, not the OP, that dropped the ball here.

As I said before, in a situation like this, it is not sufficient for Marriott customer service to tell a customer, essentially, that it's between you and the hotel.

When something similar happened to me at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center, the hotel immediately investigated, found somebody on staff was "helping out a friend", and refunded to me.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

SkiAdcock, ouch! I've been trying to let process and procedures I've started complete, before going out on another thread.

On Friday just as I was about to PM Marriott Concierge I did speak to Customer Service, who escalated directly to the GM of the hotel. They also mentioned that certain disputes go straight to Mr. Marriott himself.

I got a VM from someone at the hotel (not the GM) so am going to talk to her today and bring up the facts, which should be easy to prove - I will discuss those methods later (don't want to tip any shady personnel at that hotel).

ohmark, thanks for sharing that happened to you, as similar to what I think is happening to me, and that it was resolved. It definitely sounds like an inside job to me, it all doesn't add up - if someone were stealing my identity, why would they only use it for a one night stay at a hotel, and nothing else (thank goodness)?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:14 am

I didn't mean it as harsh . But it was a valid question. Since the suggestion was made, it could have helped in getting it solved sooner than 2 weeks later. I agree the entire thing was handled poorly & hope the OP does get it sorted.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sparklygirl
Was told that for a cancelled reservation back in June that I cancelled well within the timelines and received my refunded points for immediately... the hotel said I had reinstated the reservation at the front desk (???) and paid for all my incidentals with cash???
Do you show any points credited to your account for that supposed stay? If not, the hotel's story falls apart completely. Even if you paid cash for incidentals, the points earned would be credited to your account.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by ohmark
When something similar happened to me at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center, the hotel immediately investigated, found somebody on staff was "helping out a friend", and refunded to me.
Wow, that's incredible. I guess the FDC thought point certificates come from some magic cloud in the sky and nobody would ever notice they were missing/issued. Theft plain and simple.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Finally, a positive update to this saga!

I didn't reach the hotel person who had called, but got an e-mail yesterday from an assistant (perhaps the GM's assistant) saying that the hotel researched, apologizes for the inconvenience, and the points will be credited back to me.

I checked today and indeed there are the points back in my balance! No having to complain to Mr. Marriott, no having to unpleasantly argue over 'records' vs. facts, no having to contact consumer advocate/media columnist websites...

Just FYI, I did PM the Marriott Concierge yesterday, didn't get a reply back so I'm not sure if he/she/they helped at all. Just glad this ordeal is over and I have my points back! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.