Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium

I was just wondering.....

Has anyone gotten Platinum Premier - lost it, and then gotten it again?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:58 pm

Location: New Berlin, WI USA - DL Platinum Elite - Marriott Platinum Premier
I have...

Yeap...

I was PPremier for a couple years in a row. Took a job over in Iraq for 18 months, but only dropped to Platinum. Once I got back I moved into a Townplace Suites for 10 months and had over 500 total nights that year...immediately back to Premier.

ChazDawg
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Just curious, how you get 500 nights in a year?

Originally Posted by ChazDawg
Yeap...

I was PPremier for a couple years in a row. Took a job over in Iraq for 18 months, but only dropped to Platinum. Once I got back I moved into a Townplace Suites for 10 months and had over 500 total nights that year...immediately back to Premier.

ChazDawg
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
CD probably got it by staying at the TS as a home base and traveling to other places during that TS stay.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:58 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Roll-over nights may also be a possibility though it would take a lot of nights the year the OP left for Iraq.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:35 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
Nights for meetings?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:24 pm

Exactly...

Originally Posted by VA1379
CD probably got it by staying at the TS as a home base and traveling to other places during that TS stay.
VA and hhoope are both correct. I got back from Iraq in early 2009. Accrued over a hundred nights for '09 and started 2010 with some rollover...plus my Premier credit card gets me a decent chunk of nights a year. After living in the TS into October of 2010, plus my normal work related travel, I cleared just over 500 nights. I started 2011 with over 300...though it sounds like they're fixing some of the loopholes of rollover nights and I should have a much more "reasonable" number to rollover for 2012.

At this point I'm only 35 shy of 1500 lifetime nights and 17K short of 3M points...although I'd have more like 4M if I never used them, but I've never actually SEEN 3M in my account at one time...LOL.

ChazDawg
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
I was just wondering.....

Has anyone gotten Platinum Premier - lost it, and then gotten it again?
I hope you don't lose PP. I want to thank you for all of the information that you've posted about PP in the past; I've used it for quite a bit of my research on PP.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Originally Posted by ChazDawg
Yeap...
Once I got back I moved into a Townplace Suites for 10 months

I understand staying in the TS for so long but I can't help but imagine how many more points you would have had if you stayed in one of the 10 points per $ properties.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:43 am

Yeah...I couldn't see eating out of a dorm fridge and microwave for that long. I didn't expect 10 months, but I knew it'd be a while as we were looking for a new house, and one we would be renovating. It did depress me, however, that I was losing the extra 5 pts per $. I NEVER stay at TS or RI when on the road for business...but it was a necessary evil for this gig.

On a side note...I think it's ridiculous that the extended stay only get 5pts. I think most would agree that it's not like the extended stay properties have any better rates than the FI, SS or CY hotels. At least in my experience...hotels within proximity are typically similarly priced. I also think it sucks that you only get one lousy welcome gift if you stay 1 day or 1 month...I'd think a property would want to thank you for extended stays, but I'm a point whore...lol.

Chaz
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Just curious, how you get 500 nights in a year?
I end up in the same situation as ChazDawg at the end of the year. I stay at several "home-bases" during the year and stay checked in at those properties when I go on short trips elsewhere. I'll probably end this year with between 500 and 600 nights. It is a bit wasteful to pay for all those empty room night but it is certainly nice to not have to schlep more than 1 bag worth of stuff in and out of hotels you stay at frequently.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

So I did lose platinum premier last year - but I just logged in today and see that I got it back (225 nights this year)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
So I did lose platinum premier last year - but I just logged in today and see that I got it back (225 nights this year)
I just made PP for the first time ever. Wasnt really expecting it with just 125 nights last year (23 from the VISA) and some very reasonable rates.

Cant wait to see my life turn around now
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Congrats Crazy! I don't know about your life changing YMMV on PP. For some, they don't notice anything - I on the other hand have had great experiences - even getting an unbelievable upgrade at the Vail Marriott. I am generally a very pleasant person. I chat up the front desk a little bit when checking in. I don't always ask for suites, but when I do, they don't see to have any problems with giving them to me if they have them. Another factor may be that I stay at the same hotel for 6-12 months (sans weekends) at a time so the staff gets used to me.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I just made PP for the first time ever. Wasnt really expecting it with just 125 nights last year (23 from the VISA) and some very reasonable rates.

Cant wait to see my life turn around now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.