Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need to dump some MR points in Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, first time posting here.

I've got ~200,000 MR points that I would like to use for 7-10 nights in Italy. Based on a lot of what I've read already, Naples is likely out as an option for more than a night or so, so it looks like it's between Milan and Rome. Anyone have any insight into specific hotels in either of those cities?

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UANAA
Hello all, first time posting here.

I've got ~200,000 MR points that I would like to use for 7-10 nights in Italy. Based on a lot of what I've read already, Naples is likely out as an option for more than a night or so, so it looks like it's between Milan and Rome. Anyone have any insight into specific hotels in either of those cities?

Thanks!
When do you want to go? If you wait until late this year and onwards, the AC hotels in Northern Italy will be joining the fold and you will be able to use your points at them. @:-)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - we were originally looking in September, but could push back to November if that would open up the AC's.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Thanks - we were originally looking in September, but could push back to November if that would open up the AC's.
I was advised informally that it would be November 1, 2011, but as with everything there could be unforseen delays, so YMMV.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Rome is very difficult to get into-especially for any version of multiple nights. You will have to book night by night. Can't offer an opinion on other properties
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Having had the dis-pleasure of staying at the Milan Marriott (report posted) before I would NOT recommend this property

..... looks like it's between Milan and Rome. Anyone have any insight into specific hotels in either of those cities?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:11 am
Suspended

I think the AC Milan is much more centrally located, as well.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Not sure either is worth the dump in points either (unless you order gift checks). Rates are only 110-129ish for weekends in November.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AA / DL / MB
If you're willing to go Points & Euros the Gran Flora on Via Veneto in Rome is the way to go. If you're not willing to pay out of pocket and don't mind traveling to see the sights, stay at the Courtyard in Monte Mario. There's a Courtyard by FCO that runs a shuttle to the city center but that can be cumbersome.

I've never stayed at the hotels in Milan before but, in general, I prefer Rome as a city so make sure you spend some time there.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Trastevere
If you're willing to go Points & Euros the Gran Flora on Via Veneto in Rome is the way to go. If you're not willing to pay out of pocket and don't mind traveling to see the sights, stay at the Courtyard in Monte Mario. There's a Courtyard by FCO that runs a shuttle to the city center but that can be cumbersome.

I've never stayed at the hotels in Milan before but, in general, I prefer Rome as a city so make sure you spend some time there.
The Gran Flora in Rome is beautiful and convenient, but be aware that the many of the king beds are actually two twins pushed together.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
I just stayed 1 night at Marriott Milano.
2 nights in Courtyard Rome Central Park
1 night at Courtyard Rome Airport

Note - all Italian hotels are max 2 (sometimes 3 with a cot) per room due to fire codes.

I enjoyed the Marriott Milano - but there is not much to do in Milan.
The Duomo (Cathedral) and shopping are good choices, but that's about it (imo). The downtown canal is meh...
This Marriott is great for weekends (Free full breakfast on weekends) and has an exec lounge - although it is sparsely stocked).
Not so great for week days - as it is in Milano central - and getting in and out during rush hours is a mess.

Rome is tough to get consecutive nights (as previously posted).
The Courtyard Rome Central Park is OK - comfy beds - good staff - but local restaurants are meh...and you need to take a taxi or shuttle to the attractions (Vatican, Ancient Rome, etc.) OK - but the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora hotel is downtown would be a much better bet - and worth the extra points imo. I could not get 2 rooms on points for 2 nights in a row - so moved out to Central Park.

The CY by the airport - good for travelling in and out - but that's about it.
Too far from the city to do any attractions and a 40 Euro taxi fare to the city. THey have a shuttle to the airport (3.5 km away) but it doesn't start running until 5:50am - so if you have an earlier flight - another 25 Euro for a taxi / shuttle car.

Personally - If you can get the Marriott Grand hotel Flora - that would be the best bet...but more points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.