Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by USirritated
Stolen credit card, parent's credit card, other family member's credit card, etc. The hotels should either check real ID, or not check real ID, but some other path makes little sense.

Also, are you saying that it would be a huge inconvenience for a guest to take the ID out of the same wallet, at the same time, that they are pulling out their government credit card?
If someone is going to use a stolen CC do you really think they're going to concern themselves with getting a better room rate?

And yes, it is a bit more hassle for me to produce my Gov ID because I don't carry it in my wallet along with my Gov CC

Originally Posted by ohmark
Marriott rules provide that usage of a federal government credit card IS proper ID. And, indeed, a federal traveler who pays for the room with a credit card other than a federal government one is probably violating his/her own agency rules (assuming that such a credit has been issued to the traveler as it should have been).
Correct on both counts. The rules at my agency state that we must use the Gov CC for hotel rooms while on official travel.

Does not seem like a smart policy. Heck, Delta makes you show picture ID to get into their clubs, even if you show the club card, because there are people who "borrow" the cards even when they are not supposed to, and that is not even about real money, but with Marriott, a hotel stay is about real money. I would guess the same thing happens with government credit cards, just as it does with personal credit cards.
Not really. There are policies in place regarding misuse of Gov CCs. I personally know of an instance where someone at my facility was fired for misuse of their Gov CC.

The agencies track and audit all of the cards fairly routinely. I know from first hand experience that if a charge appears on a Gov CC account outside of known official travel periods the expense gets flagged and questions are asked.

Originally Posted by nightowlrn
There could be a misunderstanding here. I am always asked for a picture ID and CC when I check in. In this situation, the gov't traveler would be asked for the CC (gov't CC) and a picture ID. The ID wouldn't have to identify the traveler as a gov't employee because the traveler has a gov't CC. Whatever ID the traveler provides should match the name on the CC.

If the traveler is on personal travel using a gov't rate, I would hope the FDC asks for gov't employment ID. But, perhaps that doesn't happen?
I'm routinely asked for picture ID when I check in, however, I'm never asked for a Gov ID when I check in using the Gov CC. There have been times when I've used the Gov rate for leisure travel, checked in with a regular CC and was asked for Gov ID (Hawaii Marriotts are more careful than most about this for obvious reasons).

OK -- so what you are saying is not that a Federal ID should be asked for "each and every time." But, rather asked for if the guest is staying on a gov't rate but not on official business and paying with a personal credit card. Because, if on official business and paying with a gov't CC and presenting a driver's license or other photo ID that matches the gov't CC, Federal employment is adequately proven?
You nailed it...

Originally Posted by boomdog
Not all federal agencies have it as their policy to issue a govt. credit card to all civil servant travelers. Often, the cards are only available to travelers identified as 'frequent' travelers, and the threshold of trips/year for a frequent traveler can be relatively high.
True, but all agencies issue some form of official Gov ID.

I would think federal gov't rates are limited. What a pain for federal gov't travelers to have that rate unavailable because others decided they had the right to save a few dollars. The traveler might have to stay outside of where they need to be and have to rent a car or incur other additional costs, which increases "our" taxes.

I didn't know federal employees could get the better rates while on vacation .... So, in theory, a vacationing federal employee could be taking a room from a federal employee doing gov't business. Doesn't seem okay to me.
Originally Posted by socrates
possible? yes - but allowed under MI's rules
IME the thing that limits Gov rate availability is usually large events (conventions, tours, etc.) or simply very high occupancy in an area. Otherwise, finding a gov rate with MR properties is generally fairly easy. I don't think that there are many instances of Gov leisure travelers blocking out official travelers.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IME the thing that limits Gov rate availability is usually large events (conventions, tours, etc.) or simply very high occupancy in an area. Otherwise, finding a gov rate with MR properties is generally fairly easy. I don't think that there are many instances of Gov leisure travelers blocking out official travelers.
I agree with you - I believe what people are assuming is a hotel sets aside X rooms to per diem guests and once those are gone they are gone...they dont, hotel's have revenue management teams to insure the correct rates are available at the correct times however conditions do change and so does revenue managements outlook on which rates should be open and which shouldn't
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
I agree with you - I believe what people are assuming is a hotel sets aside X rooms to per diem guests and once those are gone they are gone...they dont, hotel's have revenue management teams to insure the correct rates are available at the correct times however conditions do change and so does revenue managements outlook on which rates should be open and which shouldn't
I, too, agree. I have done a lot of traveling over a lot of years for the Government and every time I have had a problem locating a government rate there was something big (conference, concert, playoff game) going on in the area. I don't think I have ever not gotten the rate because there were too many vacationing feds in the area.

It is also true that the Government rate is not always the cheapest. I just booked a room for an upcoming business trip and was able to beat the Government rate by $12/night.

As to checking in for personal travel on a Government rate, I can't say I remember being asked for my Government ID any time recently. Just did a weeklong vacation and I was asked for ID, but they we happy with my driver's license. Now, I do have my Government CC listed in my MR account (along with my MR Visa), as I use it to guarantee rooms for business travel. I did this after I got an email from Marriott (several years ago) saying that if I did list my Government CC on my MR account, then that would be considered proof of eligibility for the Government rate. Perhaps that policy is still in effect and is why I don't get asked for a Government ID at Marriott.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michilander
Now, I do have my Government CC listed in my MR account (along with my MR Visa), as I use it to guarantee rooms for business travel. I did this after I got an email from Marriott (several years ago) saying that if I did list my Government CC on my MR account, then that would be considered proof of eligibility for the Government rate. Perhaps that policy is still in effect and is why I don't get asked for a Government ID at Marriott.
That is EXACTLY why you aren't being asked for ID - I can confirm this policy is still in effect
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:16 pm

As to checking in for personal travel on a Government rate, I can't say I remember being asked for my Government ID any time recently. Just did a weeklong vacation and I was asked for ID, but they we happy with my driver's license. Now, I do have my Government CC listed in my MR account (along with my MR Visa), as I use it to guarantee rooms for business travel. I did this after I got an email from Marriott (several years ago) saying that if I did list my Government CC on my MR account, then that would be considered proof of eligibility for the Government rate. Perhaps that policy is still in effect and is why I don't get asked for a Government ID at Marriott.
That is EXACTLY why you aren't being asked for ID - I can confirm this policy is still in effect
I was unaware of this policy and I think it's excellent ^ I've had both a personal and Gov CC on my profile for a while now and come to think of it I haven't been asked for a Gov ID in over a year.

I wonder though if people could simply "make up" a CC number with the correct first 4 digits and add it to their MR account. Of course, there are ways to verify the validity of any CC so hopefully MR's systems do this when a CC is input to a customer profile.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder though if people could simply "make up" a CC number with the correct first 4 digits and add it to their MR account. Of course, there are ways to verify the validity of any CC so hopefully MR's systems do this when a CC is input to a customer profile.
Yes but very unlikely to hit a "correct" number
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pinniped
-My opinion is that it's unethical to do it. You're effectively lying about who you are and what your purpose is, even if you never actually asked.
+1.

It's amazing the number of contractors who believe they are entitled to use the per diem rate for any variety of reasons and fail to remember the hotel is the deciding party on the matter
+1, but I'm not sure some people are looking for facts.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:12 pm

The first four digits aren't difficult at all and hundreds of thousands of folks have direct knowledge of them. It's the checksum and other processes that are applied to the remaining digits in the CC number that ensure validity.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:55 am

Besides, all they would have to do is put a hold on a the card for a reservation to determine its validity. And, I have to believe MR checks CC numbers for validity.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Most legitimate government contractors (I am one) have a corporate code that usually works out to the same rate as the government rate. The corporate rate is generally all we are allowed to bill, though if there is special event going on we can charge more with approval. I see these threads all the time and in MHO, get over it. If you are a Federal government employee, you will have the proper ID and credit card. The State government employees have their own IDs and rates, which are generally only good in their state. Employees of government contractors also have their own IDs and special rates generally, though in their case the companies will have to negotiate it with the hotel brand. There are many other rates that are equal to or better then these rates, also, if you fraudulently use one of these rates you may be taking a room from someone else who can only use these rates.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond, Intercontinental Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Stolen credit card, parent's credit card, other family member's credit card, etc. The hotels should either check real ID, or not check real ID, but some other path makes little sense.

Also, are you saying that it would be a huge inconvenience for a guest to take the ID out of the same wallet, at the same time, that they are pulling out their government credit card?
I have a problem with your view.

1) You are suggesting that the merchant(in this case) marriott hotels should ask for photo ID when someone uses a credit card. It is against the merchant credit card agreement(both VISA and Mastercard) for merchants to demand photo ID before usage or acceptance.

It is also for consumer protection that they never ever show the photo ID on the basis of credit card usage/condition of acceptance. If Marriott Hotels have a problem with that, they can choose not to accept any credit cards at all and essentially not to have any card processing facility.

2) I like to think that holders of goverment credit cards which are government employees are bona fide employees. I don't think its fair to doubt the integrity of US government employees.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:50 am

Besides, all they would have to do is put a hold on a the card for a reservation to determine its validity. And, I have to believe MR checks CC numbers for validity.
That still wouldn't prevent someone from entering a bogus Gov CC number into their MR profile and simply never using it to guarantee a reservation. That way a hold would never be placed against the bogus card.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Almost every hotel that I go into these days asks to see photo ID and a credit card. Even on award stays.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:42 am

That still wouldn't prevent someone from entering a bogus Gov CC number into their MR profile and simply never using it to guarantee a reservation. That way a hold would never be placed against the bogus card.
True, but I still have to believe they validate cards that are put into the accounts, whether they get used or not. If I were running their site, anyway, this would be done.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by chasingthedream
1) You are suggesting that the merchant(in this case) marriott hotels should ask for photo ID when someone uses a credit card. It is against the merchant credit card agreement(both VISA and Mastercard) for merchants to demand photo ID before usage or acceptance.

It is also for consumer protection that they never ever show the photo ID on the basis of credit card usage/condition of acceptance. If Marriott Hotels have a problem with that, they can choose not to accept any credit cards at all and essentially not to have any card processing facility.
Originally Posted by kanerf
Almost every hotel that I go into these days asks to see photo ID and a credit card. Even on award stays.
I agree with kanerf. I am almost always asked for a picture ID and a credit card when checking in at any hotel. Has been so since soon after 9/11.

I will have to check the T&C for the credit cards, but it would actually concern me that the merchants were not allowed to confirm identity of the card users. Not sure how this restriction benefits the card holder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.