Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Stay on points without enough points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Let's say I need 100000 points for a stay at a Marriott property and I have only 50000, and maxed out how much I can buy per year.
Can I still take this stay and pay 50% with points and 50% with cash, or do I have to do two separate bookings, one for the stay-with-points, one for the stay-on-cash ? If it's two bookings and it's outside the USA I suspect it will be tough to get points-credited for the cash part of the stay.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
and, why can't you buy the other 50K points on 01 Jan 2011 - you can't have maxed out next year!

Originally Posted by vilntrav
Let's say I need 100000 points for a stay at a Marriott property and I have only 50000, and maxed out how much I can buy per year.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
If you have a family member with an account, they can buy the 50K points and gift them to you at no additional charge.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by vilntrav
Can I still take this stay and pay 50% with points and 50% with cash, or do I have to do two separate bookings, one for the stay-with-points, one for the stay-on-cash ? If it's two bookings and it's outside the USA I suspect it will be tough to get points-credited for the cash part of the stay.
If you just can't get to the 100K points, I would expect two reservations needed, one for points and the second for cash (personally I'd do the cash stay first). Make the effort to actually go down to the front desk to check out and then check back in again for the second rez. With any luck the property will treat it as two stays and process each as it's own and all postings will flow as needed. There is never any guarantee a stay will be error free.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you just can't get to the 100K points, I would expect two reservations needed, one for points and the second for cash (personally I'd do the cash stay first). Make the effort to actually go down to the front desk to check out and then check back in again for the second rez. With any luck the property will treat it as two stays and process each as it's own and all postings will flow as needed. There is never any guarantee a stay will be error free.
I've done this before several times with no trouble. It does process as two back-to-back stays, but I've never had to discuss it with the front desk again after checking in for the first night. (Unlike EEOs which always seem to require multiple discussions.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.