Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
OMG, this hotel is driving me crazy for a lousy $75 conference room. Tons of back and forth with the coordinator, Lots of forms to sign, manager asking a lot of questions about who will be attending and the purpose of the meeting, etc.

Wonder how they will react when I miss my flight that morning. If I'm lucky, they'll just charge me the $75 and we can all move on.

Mike
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
OMG, this hotel is driving me crazy for a lousy $75 conference room. Tons of back and forth with the coordinator, Lots of forms to sign, manager asking a lot of questions about who will be attending and the purpose of the meeting, etc.

Wonder how they will react when I miss my flight that morning. If I'm lucky, they'll just charge me the $75 and we can all move on.

Mike
FWIW, I have had no problem with no-show meetings. Probably done 6 or 7 in the last 4 years. No problem and certainly I wouldn't get into a big discussion with the hotel about anything. I do not usually get into excuses like "I missed my plane" or anything. In fact, only once have they asked why I didn't show up or made any mention of it. That one felt bad and tried to give me a free meeting the following week. I assured her I was happy to pay for the next meeting and would sign another contract for it!

Don't get in to a back and forth with them. Just tell them you want a table, two chairs, and a bucket of water. Tell them you need nothing else. Sign the contract and email or fax back. They don't care what you are doing. I generally do not talk to them on the phone. I do not call them back when they call me. I email only.

The last one I had to follow up a couple times, by email, to get the points/nights to post but it finally did.

I am thinking about one more to create some rollover for next year!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:40 am

Once the hotel sent me an email 2 hours after the planned meeting, stating that no one showed up.
I responded per email, wondering that the guys did not show up and told them I would check.
For the inconvenience caused I asked them to charge my CC and getting the points posted as rewarding event via the Group Posting Tool.
2 days later the points and nights posted to my account.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For those who have found a hotel with the $50 rate and where the points are posting fast, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to post up the brand and location.

They hotel could find themselves having a boom of business, ehem, meetings and those posters needing nights could just do everything online quickly.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
FWIW, I have had no problem with no-show meetings. Probably done 6 or 7 in the last 4 years. No problem and certainly I wouldn't get into a big discussion with the hotel about anything. I do not usually get into excuses like "I missed my plane" or anything. In fact, only once have they asked why I didn't show up or made any mention of it. That one felt bad and tried to give me a free meeting the following week. I assured her I was happy to pay for the next meeting and would sign another contract for it!

Don't get in to a back and forth with them. Just tell them you want a table, two chairs, and a bucket of water. Tell them you need nothing else. Sign the contract and email or fax back. They don't care what you are doing. I generally do not talk to them on the phone. I do not call them back when they call me. I email only.

The last one I had to follow up a couple times, by email, to get the points/nights to post but it finally did.

I am thinking about one more to create some rollover for next year!
That's all great advice, thanks! FYI, they're also putting out a bowl of candy for mine.

I was surprised by how much information they asked for. I did pretty much as you said and she kept coming back with questions. Sheesh. All I'm trying to do is give them a little money.

Mike
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
For those who have found a hotel with the $50 rate and where the points are posting fast, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to post up the brand and location.

They hotel could find themselves having a boom of business, ehem, meetings and those posters needing nights could just do everything online quickly.
Yes... and MR can shut down the loophole. All rewards have risks.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
In the process of setting one of these up now... waiting to get a quote.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:32 am

I have gotten the $50 rate at the Fairfield Inn in Mission Viejo
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Does anyone know if this has to be set up through the quote process, or can I just work this out with the CY I happen to be staying at all the time these days?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Does anyone know if this has to be set up through the quote process, or can I just work this out with the CY I happen to be staying at all the time these days?
If they know you, you may be able to just work something out, as long as they record the meeting through the right system.

BTW, love the sig.

Mike
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by mikeef
If they know you, you may be able to just work something out, as long as they record the meeting through the right system.
Guess I'll just ask - this particular CY is mostly just one-timers (it's a mall property in Miami, where apparently there's a lot of shopping tourism going down), so I am somewhat of an anomaly as a regular/long-term resident. Everybody on staff knows me.

BTW, love the sig.

Mike
;-) The concept is by no means an original of my own, but the exact wording very much is. I always smile when I see it being used verbatim (including even the trailing ellipsis) on other forums/blogs.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I have booked meetings directly before. It works fine. I have found the rates are cheaper through the online quote system though. It's really so easy.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I have booked meetings directly before. It works fine. I have found the rates are cheaper through the online quote system though. It's really so easy.
Yup. It really is easy. And if you are getting the $50 rate, which I get when I request a meeting space for a "20 minute interview," you could basically hit Platinum from scratch for $432 ($54 per meeting)! Worth.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:39 am

I emailed the Hotel in Frankfurt, but they did not send me a quote as of now - and its already 4 days ago i sent my letter....

What am i doing wrong? the form asked for "price willing to pay" - is that a field you're signing?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
I emailed the Hotel in Frankfurt, but they did not send me a quote as of now - and its already 4 days ago i sent my letter....

What am i doing wrong? the form asked for "price willing to pay" - is that a field you're signing?
Just pick a random city in the US. St. Louis, Dallas, Kansas City, Memphis, etc.... Find a location. I like airport locations as I find they are often cheap but ymmv. You can book online. It's really easy. If the locations say "request quote" instead of showing a dollar sign just find a different location. Keep looking until you find one with dollar signs showing.

I just did a quick search in one city. I did Memphis, TN for a meeting on Nov. 11th.

There is a courtyard that says $250. Select that. (Note: I did not select the $176 Residence Inn since RI doesn't participate in this deal). Then change to a one hour meeting. Takes a few clicks to get the times right. It changes rate to $125. You can find cheaper if you look more. This really isn't that hard. That took me 25 seconds or so to find. Spend 5 minutes and you can get a conf room for $75 in some other city.

There is no requirement of showing, no requirement of talking to anybody at the hotel, etc.... It's EASY.

It is NOT rocket science here people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.