Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can one convert Marriott points to somepone else's AA account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)

Searching has failed to turn up any discussion......

Can one convert Marriott points to American Airline miles and have them deposited to someone else's account. A non family member?
Old May 17, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
To transfer from Marriott to AA costs a large percentage of your miles. I believe the conversion is 5 Marriott points to 1 AA mile. Just think of 3 nights in a Cat. 8 hotel vs one domestic ticket. Not worth it in my book.

However, if you do want to make the transfer, I do believe you can make the transfer to another person's AA account.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by mmargel
Searching has failed to turn up any discussion......

Can one convert Marriott points to American Airline miles and have them deposited to someone else's account. A non family member?
If you and the other person are both MR members, and your combined points are sufficient for one of those travel package awards (min. 200000 points), then it's not a bad redemption value. You can transfer enough of your points to the other person's account for them to claim the award. AFAIK, you don't need to be family members. You'll have to fax a signed affidavit to MR and the points will be transferred to your friend's account.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:45 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Hello,

To transfer points to miles with any airline, the name on the Marriott Rewards acct must match the name on the frequent flyer account. However, you could perform a point transfer to the other persons MR account at the time requesting the redemption. Give yourself a little time since this process does require a signed affidavit by both parties.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Marie
Old May 17, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
Not worth it in my book.
Travel packages.....
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta AA SW UA
Why does Marriott make it so difficult

I don't understand why Marriott makes their program so difficult. Other hotel chains are much easier to deal with. If want to trade my points to miles for another person why does it matter. Silly.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
First, note that this is an old thread and Marriott points can no longer be transferred into AA at all.

Originally Posted by stlmileageho
I don't understand why Marriott makes their program so difficult. Other hotel chains are much easier to deal with. If want to trade my points to miles for another person why does it matter. Silly.
Second, I've always thought Marriott was actually being very nice in allowing people an option to transfer points between accounts (thus essentially providing the ability to transfer your points into someone elses FF account.) And I've never thought it difficult to transfer points between accounts. A bit of a pain receiving the fax, filling it out, signing it, and faxing it back maybe, but not all that difficult.

I can say that with SPG, it would be much, much harder to pull off now. They also require the name on the FF account to match the account where the SPG points were pulled from. And they don't allow people to transfer points between accounts like Marriott does. (They do allow transfers between accounts with the same address, but they are now much more militant in verifying that the two account holders do in fact live at the same address. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.