Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discover America® Daily Getaways: 20% off Marriott TravelCards, 5/19/10, 10am ET

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America® Daily Getaways: 20% off Marriott TravelCards, 5/19/10, 10am ET

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I overslept and didn't even log in until 10:15. I got the max on the first try for all denominations except the $1000 card, which was sold out.
Old May 19, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I could have got all of them, put them in my cart, but decided against it, as I have no plans to stay at a Marriott...

However, took 2 x $200 ones for backup if required...
Old May 19, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I could have got all of them, put them in my cart, but decided against it, as I have no plans to stay at a Marriott...

However, took 2 x $200 ones for backup if required...
You mean 2* $250 Gift cards??? as I believe there were no $200 gift cards on sale..
Old May 19, 2010, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
...The $250 (350 cards originally available) and $100 (400 originally available) are still up for grabs...
SOLD OUT

All TravelCard offers were sold.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Got 2x500 2x250 and 5x100. Not a bad discount
Old May 19, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mooper
The Honeymoon/Registry promo has a 10% bonus, not 10% discount, so it's actually $1,100 in credit for each $1,000 you spend, plus 20 MR points/$ and the extra 4 MR points/$ you noted. As long as you value your MR points at over a cent each, it's easily the better deal. If not, you could argue that the up-front 20% off is more appealing, but I suspect most people would be in our boat.
I used my Starwood Amex so I will get 800 SPG points, purchased 2x$500. I value MR points at around 0.6 cents. Given that it would cost me 135K pints to get $1000 of MR certificates, and here I paid $800 for pretty much the same thing, divide the 800 by 135K and you round to 0.6 cents.

Last edited by zacktravel; May 19, 2010 at 8:27 pm
Old May 19, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by silverfalls
You mean 2* $250 Gift cards??? as I believe there were no $200 gift cards on sale..
Yup!
Old May 19, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by sely
I also got a $500 card. Now I am just hoping that the credit card charge goes through as Marriott and not Discover America so that I can get 5x versus 1x points on my Marriott Visa..
You know I thought about this after I had purchased one $500 card. I would think it would get the 5x points, but since I am not positive and I am trying to accumulate as many points as I can this month I decided to hold off on purchasing any more of these. Hoping there will be some more bonus points offers for the gift cards as well coming soon. I won't know for sure if it codes correctly until my CC statement closes in a couple of weeks.
Old May 19, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting. If this technique does work, it certainly increases the value of purchasing the gift cards today.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...e-payment.html
100% positive!

Marriott Gift is just a prepaid visa without 4 printed in front of rest 15 numbers.

A lot of times, some Hotel employees like to manually input the number, I asked them, they all told me just add a 4!

And as I mentioned in above thread, it worked perfectly!
Old May 20, 2010, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I assume these transactions post as Discover America but they have not yet posted to my CC account yet. I used my SPG Amex to buy these cards.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:06 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I used my SPG Amex to buy these cards
I did the same as my assumption was they wouldn't post as a "Marriott" purchase.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:54 am
Original Poster

When will I receive my Marriott TravelCards?

Within 7-10 business days of purchase, you will receive your Marriott TravelCard via U.S. mail at the shipping address provided at purchase. Upon receipt, visit any Marriott brand hotel property worldwide and redeem at checkout.
Expect to receive the cards around May 28 to the first week in June.

Last edited by Kohoutek; May 21, 2010 at 9:45 am Reason: bold, red
Old May 21, 2010, 6:59 am

The T&C indicate cards not useable on corporate rates. Anyone have experience with how closely checkout monitors this.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by qazw1
The T&C indicate cards not useable on corporate rates. Anyone have experience with how closely checkout monitors this.
Yes, I have used Marriott Gift Cards on our corporate rate dozens of times. I've also used the Gift Cards on all sorts of promotional rates - EEO's, HPR's, LPR's, PKG's, etc. Anything paid directly to Marriott at the hotel - they just swipe it and process it like a Visa card.

I haven't done it, but I see no reason you couldn't walk into a Marriott and buy a beer at the lobby bar using the Gift Card. (Assuming Marriott owns the lobby bar...)

Same goes for incidentals on an 3rd party agent booked stay. Even if you pay Priceline or Hotwire for the room, you should still be able to use the GC to cover incidentals. I *have* done that.

Also, to follow-up from yesterday, the purchases posted to my Amex account as a Discover America purchase. (Not Marriott.)
Old May 21, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
So it seems I was right not to buy too much. They are having problems with my address. I received an email saying there was an issue and to please respond back with my address. But, the email says not to respond to this email. I replied anyway.Hope that works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.