Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Rewards - bye bye AA - Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Marriott Rewards - bye bye AA - Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ohmark
I'm not an insider, but that sounds ludicrous on its face. AA is simply selling miles to Marriott. Why would a vendor want to discontinue business selling to a customer? I would assume they couldn't agree on a contract renewal price.
I echo these sentiments and note that it seems a bit odd that it is claimed that AA is raising the fee to Marriott Rewards for AA miles and at the same time other chains, as noted above, are literally giving their guests a bonanza of AA miles if you are to stay with them in the next couple of months.

Something does not seem truly correct here and it does appear that we may not be receiving the full story from Marriott Rewards.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I see these listed on CC as well.. how easy are these certs to trade in another persons name if it came down to that?
I did this just last week and it was painless. They booked me 3-3 night awards and I booked them the 7 day.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The obvious:

I think it has to be a personal pissing contest between the CEOs of Marriott and American Airlines. Kind of like when Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Baptist Hospitals stopped working with each other about 15 years ago. Why would the biggest health insurer and one of the biggest hospital systems stop working with each other to the detriment of patients? Because almost assuredly, two male executives at the top of each company made it personal and wanted to prove their member was bigger than the other executive's member, beat their chests, took their balls and went home.

It makes perfect sense, and really is the only explanation in my mind that does make sense.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, and one other thing I'll add:

The Marriott Delta promo, viewed by itself, is actually not that bad. For the one-night-stay type of guest, you could even argue that 15k DL is worth more than a Cat 4 Free Night plus your normal Marriott points.

The first problem is that it pales in comparison to what other hotel chains are doing during the same period.

The second problem is that all of this talk should be unrelated to Marriott's decision to drop its long-term relationship with AA.

I don't care if Marriott rolls out 10 juicy promotions: ending the AA relationship is still a bad move.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Yeah, it's a bad move. Perhaps a dumb move. And certainly a loss for consumers.

But regarding the question of which travel vendor to dump. Lemme see here...

Marriott has taken very good care of me for seventeen consecutive years as an MR member.

I'll give AA props for decent free trip award availability and relative ease of redemption. But other than that, they haven't exactly shown me a lot of love in my years as an elite since I got fed up with United in '01. Other than letting me get on the plane relatively early and sit in an exit row every now and then, they treat me just about as badly as the other airlines.

With this it may be time for me to give AA the heave-ho, not Marriott.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
Originally Posted by judolphin
After perusing FlyerTalk for AA promos, and looking at DL vs. AA award availability, I have literally canceled my next ten (yes, ten as in one-zero) stays with Marriott (they were already booked), and have given them to Hyatt, specifically because AA and UA miles are more useful than DL miles.

I will be saving the folios and faxing them to both the Marriott Rewards Platinum desk, and to Mr. Marriott's office. Even the devaluation last year did not drive me away. This has actually made me look elsewhere, cancel reservations, and book with a competitor.
Here here - glad that you are notifying their Exec office. Can Mr. Marriott really have thought this was a good idea? It will impact our hotel plans as well.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
After initially deciding to dump Marriott and now having a few days to think abou it, I decided that I will stick with Marriott. Marriott has been good to me over the years, as have AA. I live near EWR and AA just is not convenient for me, therefore, I have been flying them a lot less than in the past (no flights so far this year). AA will remain my airline of choice, but convenience and cost (therefore cash back/Schwab is now in play) are now the deciding factors. So with AA LT Plat now out of the question or markedly more difficult to attain, I think I will just stick with Marriott and use Marriott points for weekend getaways with the fam - I know they will appreciate this.

I started rethinking SPG once Amex decide to cut/slash/decimate my CL on my SPG Amex - this after approving me for the Amex Premier Rewards card so for now, no more business to Amex.
Old May 6, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Glad you are staying - I was starting to feel lonesome. I also am giving up the AA LT Plat dream, and in my case also, AA is really not the most convenient airline.

From EWR, I presume that Continental (soon to be United) is your most common carrier. If so, in addition to the Schwab 2% card, you might want to consider the United Mileage Plus Select card, which you might still be able to get the 50,000 mile bonus on. It gives you 2 miles per dollar on restaurants, groceries, and home improvements (and 3 on UA spend), which is a better deal than 2% cash back to me for those categories.

bd

Originally Posted by jamflyer
After initially deciding to dump Marriott and now having a few days to think abou it, I decided that I will stick with Marriott. Marriott has been good to me over the years, as have AA. I live near EWR and AA just is not convenient for me, therefore, I have been flying them a lot less than in the past (no flights so far this year). AA will remain my airline of choice, but convenience and cost (therefore cash back/Schwab is now in play) are now the deciding factors. So with AA LT Plat now out of the question or markedly more difficult to attain, I think I will just stick with Marriott and use Marriott points for weekend getaways with the fam - I know they will appreciate this.

I started rethinking SPG once Amex decide to cut/slash/decimate my CL on my SPG Amex - this after approving me for the Amex Premier Rewards card so for now, no more business to Amex.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by boomdog
Glad you are staying - I was starting to feel lonesome. I also am giving up the AA LT Plat dream, and in my case also, AA is really not the most convenient airline.

From EWR, I presume that Continental (soon to be United) is your most common carrier. If so, in addition to the Schwab 2% card, you might want to consider the United Mileage Plus Select card, which you might still be able to get the 50,000 mile bonus on. It gives you 2 miles per dollar on restaurants, groceries, and home improvements (and 3 on UA spend), which is a better deal than 2% cash back to me for those categories.

bd
I'll ride the Schwab cash back for as long as it lasts...hell, I am still in the TY game with the PPE.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Very hard to believe that it is AA's fault in light of the following promotion:

EARN UP TO 60,000 AMERICAN AIRLINES AADVANTAGE® MILES WITH HYATT

http://goldpassport.com/gp/en/aa/off..._mbr_src=30KAA
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Very hard to believe that it is AA's fault in light of the following promotion:

EARN UP TO 60,000 AMERICAN AIRLINES AADVANTAGE® MILES WITH HYATT

http://goldpassport.com/gp/en/aa/off..._mbr_src=30KAA
Hyatt is signficantly smaller than MI is, they might be willing to pay $$$ to AA because of this
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
Marriott and American Airlines

Am I reading this right?
Marriott doesn't work with American Airlines on their rewards packages?
Tell me this is not true.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
That's like saying, "What??! Marriott doesn't have BOGO anymore? Tell me this isn't true!"

Marriott has not had a partnership with AA for some time now.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
Thanks for the quick reply. This is news to me.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SIN1K
Thanks for the quick reply. This is news to me.
Unfortunately so many changes in all these programs so often, it's hard to keep up with all of them.

I can understand your frustration when you learn of something that says, "oh boy, where have I been?" Thank Goodness for FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.