Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Disneyworld, Orlando, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I would like some input from you guys. We are planning a trip to Disney right after school is out in May. We are Plat and are wondering what suggestions you have for hotels in the Orlando area. We need a room for 4. I can get a room at the JW for 95$ a night. Do they have a concierge lounge? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
If you want to be close to Disney, then the Orlando Worldcenter is probably your best bet. (And as a resort they will give you a room upgrade with a nice view of the Disney fireworks, but not free breakfast.)

If you are looking for extra room, I would suggest looking at some of Marriott's MVCI properties. On the same grounds as the Worldcenter, there are 3 "Palms" properties that you might want to check out. The price will be a little higher than $95/night, but you will be getting either 2 or 3 bedroom suites. Another option would be the Grande Vista property. It will have studio to 3 bedroom suites. It has a couple of very nice pools and play areas for kids, but it is a few miles from Disney (but not too far away.)

A couple of threads that might be helpful (there are many more than this):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ney-parks.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...fter-xmas.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ty-resort.html
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:16 pm

Wow, $95n for the JW is a phenomenal deal. I've never seen it under $129 and that was a long time ago.

If your kids are very small I might say closer to the parks is better. The Orlando World is a vast, huge, large (!) hotel but has a fun pool area and you won't feel quite as self-conscious if your little ones are running loose there.

If your kids are a little older they might enjoy the 'grandeur' of the JW and it's surroundings. It definitely has a more classy feel. Some people might prefer not to have to keep the decorum while in Orlando with kids . You know your family's needs and behavior patterns so I tell you this just to help you decide.

The JW has always upgraded me to a suite as a Platinum. They do not have a concierge lounge.

The MVCI properties in Orlando are all nice, as are the Residence Inns and the Marriott Village at Little Lake Bryan hotels.

Hope this helps a little.

and p.s.- care to share how you got the great rate at the JW?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:35 pm

Last August my family stayed at the Harbour Lake and I highly recommend it for family with young kids. We got a 2 bedroom unit so there was plenty of space for everyone. There are scheduled activities throughout the day and the kids love to play in the pool areas for hours at a time. This June we'll be staying at the Cypress Harbour across the street because we couldn't get into Harbour Lake.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
What a great rate at the JW. I'd snag it.

Two other points to add:

I went to Orlando a year ago with a friend, her two kids and her parents. We stayed at the RI at Sea World and actually found it very easy to get back and forth to the parks and the hotel was great about upgrading us ahead of time so that we were able to stay in one, albiet very croweded, room. Their breakfast was a step above the usual RI fare and set-up.

Also, I understand the Marriott loyalty, but nothing can beat staying at one of the Disney Resorts, especially if you have kids. The Grand Floridian, Beach Club Resort, BoardWalk Inn, Yacht Club, Contemporary (which isn't anymore), Polynesian and Wilderness Adventure are such great hotels, with kid friendly activities at every turn, and it's so easy to go back to the room a couple times during the day for an hour's break and/or to drop of the crap you somehow acquire as you walk the parks. The Disney Resort rooms are family friendly, too, in that a family of five will be able to stay in a single room.

Have fun!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
$95 for the JW is smokin and its a great hotel.

I just stayed at the Renaissance Sea World and would take my family back, for sure.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What a great rate at the JW. I'd snag it.

Two other points to add:

I went to Orlando a year ago with a friend, her two kids and her parents. We stayed at the RI at Sea World and actually found it very easy to get back and forth to the parks and the hotel was great about upgrading us ahead of time so that we were able to stay in one, albiet very croweded, room. Their breakfast was a step above the usual RI fare and set-up.

Also, I understand the Marriott loyalty, but nothing can beat staying at one of the Disney Resorts, especially if you have kids. The Grand Floridian, Beach Club Resort, BoardWalk Inn, Yacht Club, Contemporary (which isn't anymore), Polynesian and Wilderness Adventure are such great hotels, with kid friendly activities at every turn, and it's so easy to go back to the room a couple times during the day for an hour's break and/or to drop of the crap you somehow acquire as you walk the parks. The Disney Resort rooms are family friendly, too, in that a family of five will be able to stay in a single room.

Have fun!

I am going to have to disagree with the above.

The Disney "Deluxe" hotels are sadly lacking in "Deluxe" features (which could be why they rate as 3 star hotels?) You will be paying probably close to three times the GREAT rate you got at the JW for a hotel that has very nice location, so so service and overall just "misses" on the little things that one normally finds at $300 a night plus hotels. If you realize it's "location, location, location" then you will be OK. If you expect the service and ameneties you get at someplace like the JW you will be disappointed. (One of my friends parents packed up and moved to the Ritz after one night at Disney's "flagship" Grand Floridian due to the overwhelming feeling of "we spent that much for THIS" )

The JW has a great lazy river and when I was there, there were LOTS of kids and I didn't see any issues> The Ritz next door was more "adult oriented"

I agree with others on the Vacation Club resorts.

If you want to go "downstream" the Springhill Suites and the Fairfield in the Marriott Village would be my choice. (Actually they are my choice. I don't like the Marriott Orlando World Resort and don't need the size of a "villa")
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA,CO,DL,SW,UA,US, ICH, Marriott, priority club, fastbreak, thrifty
I just booked for a five night stay at the Fairfield Inn near disney

According to Trip advisor.com
It is ranked #1 in value (about $90 per night) with great service.
It looks like it is nothing fancy, but I couldnt see spending Huge $$$ to stay in Disney.

Certainly much depends on your personal preferences .
I would use trip advisor as a great guide lots of personal reviews
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
CarolDisney1, let me clarify my point. If it's an adult four-star resort you're looking for, the Disney Resorts are clearly lacking in what would be basic elsewhere. If you're looking for a place where your kids are going to have the most memorable experience possible, the Disney Resorts cannot be beat. For example, eating at Wilderness Lodge means mediocre food in a loud dining hall. To kids, it's the most fun meal ever with really good food. While I see and agree with your points, I still think the Disney Resorts are the way to go with kids. Several of the resorts have Concierge packages which give you access to very nice lounges which, again, are extremely kid friendly.

Personally, if it's Disney, the point is the kids. I get more out of seeing their reactions than I get personally from any luxury resort.

While you may have seen many kids at the JW, my guess is those kids were not having the magical experience of staying at Disney. They didn't have the river parade out the window as they went to sleep. They didn't have the character notes waiting for them when they went to bed, which often specifically mention an encounter in the Park earlier in the day. They were likely having a more adult experience. "Not seeing any issues" is a far cry from the kids having an experience they will talk about to their kids. For me, the kids' reactions trump my need to be pampered.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
$95/nt. at the JW?!? Your decision is done!

I clicked on this thread expecting to recommend the MVCI's - we used to stay in those often, typically getting rates in the $150-175/nt. range for a 2-bedroom villa using either a M11 code or one of the Amex codes (I forget the exact code). Let's of 3rd Nt Free and 4th Nt Free offers on these - full points-earning and no obligation to view a timeshare. (You can then haggle 90 minutes of your time for cash, points, or amusement park tickets once you get there if you choose.)

But I never had a $95/nt. option on the JW. Even with my two little ones (who love their own room at MVCI), I think we'd take that option. The only Orlando hotel I used to like better than the JW was the Westin Grand Bohemian circa 2004 or so. (We used to travel to Orlando 2-3 times a year to visit family.)

My personal preference: I'd never in a million years pay the premium that those Disney on-property resorts require. Even though my kids and I like a good amusement park as much as the next guy, there's no way I'd ever drop $300/nt. in a town in a town so saturated with cheap villas and other hotel rooms for half that cost.

While I hope my kids enjoy amusement parks growing up, I hope those aren't their greatest memories that they talk about with their kids. I mean, I hope they are *good* moments - but those good moments (your first "big" 'coaster, your favorite water rides, etc.) don't require obscenely priced hotel rooms.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
The kids I saw in the JW pool were having a great time. (they belonged to one of my boss's so... I don't think the fact that Mickey wasn't at the hotel really bothered them LOL!) They seemed to be having a "kid experience" to me. There were kid games etc going on at the JW. They seemed to be motivated to entertain the kids I saw.

If you are going to recommend Disney hotels IMHO you have to give the disclaimer. You are paying for "cute", "location" and MAYBE some of the benefits mentioned above. (However, the "card from the character" is not standard and may very well NOT happen so don't get excited about that) As I said, that's fine, but I find lots of folks very disappointed when they pay "Ritz" prices and get "Fairfield" quality.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We are currently staying at Marriott Grande Vista Resort. This is the best timeshare property I've visited (and we've been to quite a few). I would highly recommend for families - the rooms are huge. It's just around the corner from Sea World and a short drive to Universal and Disney. I'm not usually this lavish with praise, but this place is topnotch from the world class golf course, restaurants (reasonably priced), pools, kids club, etc. Probably not as nice as the JW but certainly a much better value if you are looking to house a family. And free wi-fi that actually works!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Agree with Boraxo: the Grande Vista is an excellent MVCI - one of the best in the system IME.

I recently returned from the MVCI in Newport Beach, CA. While it was a nice property and we loved the location, I was a bit disappointed in how everything seemed to be "limited service" there. Pool bar closed at 6PM, maids were hard to find and didn't service our room every day, Kids' Club operated very short hours (we only saw it open once). I will give credit to Grande Vista and Cypress Harbor (another good MVCI in Orlando): I never got a "limited service" feeling there, even when we were in somewhat off-peak months (which we usually were).
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Has anyone noticed or checked into whether the JW would be charging their infamous $25 to $35 per day "resort fee" on top of the $95 per day daily rate, or is that a thing of the past or only at the Orlando World Marriott?

FWIW, I have stayed at all 3 of the hotels at the Marriott Village by Little Lake Bryan, including the Fairfield Inn & Suites, the Springhill Suites, and the Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village, and the location is tremendous, the values are usually quite high, and there are no resort fees or anything of that sort. I have had rates there as low as $72 per night, though that was about 4 years ago, single occupancy.

I have also stayed at MVCI properties in the area, and the room setups and facilities are terrific for families, as is the Residence Inn (I can't remember which RI I stayed in, but it was a two bedroom, and great for families). I have stayed in two of the MVCI properties through the years, and I remember one of them vividly, the Grande Vista, which was truly great, I can't recommend it highly enough. I think we paid about $199, maybe 7 years ago, for a two bedroom, and it was gorgeous. Yes, it is a bit farther away from Disney itself, but it has lots of great activities on site, and it is only about 12 minutes farther by car, so not a big deal really, and also close in the other direction to many other parks and attractions.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
We have been to Disneyworld many many times (at least 20) and always used to stay at Disney resorts (or the Swan and Dolphin, which we love for the location, the service is good, and their rates are usually much lower then the Boardwalk next door).

This past spring break, we got a getaway through II for Grande Vista ($400 for the week). I loved having the two bedrooms for the space, and the washer/dryer as well. What was less convenient was that usually my husband and I split up quite a bit, so he drove me and the kids once to the Magic Kingdom, and once I took a cab (we had a car, but he was meeting us later at Epcot). The drive is a bit longer than I had thought it would be ($40 cab ride, yikes!), so I would probably next time look into the condos at the World Center (the Palms ones) as they are closer (and I think they have some scheduled shuttles, which would at least be a bit more convenient for Disney). Grande Vista is right near Seaworld, matter of fact, I think you could almost walk there! Very close if you're going to that park, but we just were going to Disney parks.

So, I would look into proximity to the Disney parks if that is what you're interested in.

It would have been nice to have an extra week, just to enjoy the resort! It was cold during our visit, then warmed up at the end of our trip. If we go back to Orlando and stay at another Marriott timeshare, I'd like to have two weeks. We found driving and parking to be a bit more tiring than we thought it would be - so to have more down days would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.