Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Yes, thanks for this, Andrew, it is appreciated that Marriott is involved in this forum, especially as involvement is not always a pleasant experience for you.

For me it's a bit of good news/bad news, I like the Paris and London changes, not so sure about the Moscow though. The Moscow one does seem strange since its been on permanent pointsavers for the last few months, indicating it was chasing redemption trade, yet this uprate will do nothing to encourage that. Nonetheless, I guess you guys know what you're doing, and category adjustments are a part of these programs. It is good to see that with a fair division in movement Marriott is demonstrating its commitment to the scheme.

Lastly, like everyone else, I would be grateful to see/link in the list of all the forthcoming changes, all the way from category 1-8, whenever anyone can copy and paste them over here...

Moscow is not so bad as there are 2 other FS hotels nearby, also there is a CY very close as well that has gotten rave reviews and there is a new Rennaisance that just opened.

The Berlin Marriott has been long overdue and that is why I snagged it at the current rates --it has gotten very very good reviews and if you get lounge access, all the better. It is a steal at Cat 5 so act now.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Very commendable of Marriott that some hotels in popular places are actually dropping categories due to lower ADRs over the last year.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
The Paris change will save me 10k points then on a 2nighter in a few months - thanks for the heads up Marriott Conceirge.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Overall, quite favorable.

Shows some rational thought taking place at MR--unlike the clowns running HHONORS.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: MR PP, US CP, Amtrak S+
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Current Cat 6 moving to Cat 5
JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
I can agree with this move. Was rather disappointed with this one. Spent a week there two New Year's ago and didn't think it should have been as high in the categories as it was.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
I too would like to see a list of the 286 Cat 1-5 properties moving up a level.....Marriott Concierge.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Andrew -
thank you for this list. I have upcoming travel plans which this change affects...actually in the positive

as others have stated, the remaining list would be most appreciated.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yul lite
I too would like to see a list of the 286 Cat 1-5 properties moving up a level.....Marriott Concierge.
+1
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Yup, would like to see the lower category changes as well. A list would be great, but if not, at least show the new levels on the website before the change actually occurs.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:49 am

Thanks to Marriott for the favorable Hawaii changes.

Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I much fear the up changes in the 1-5 levels as this is where I tend to burn having kids playing travel sports and little time for luxury vacations right now.

I would hate to see a run of the mill RI or SHS on the side of an interstate in Buffalo in January bump from 15k to 20k or 20k to 25k - especially when $99 rooms are plentiful in the area. And I tend to take 2 rooms at a time to comfortably accommodate everyone.

Killed me to burn through 80,000 for 2 nights and 2 rooms recently (not to mention also missing the 5th night free deal inside of the sliding point scale).

Just another way to look at it.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
If you have an existing redemption reservation at a hotel decreasing in category, you may call Marriott RewardsŪ Customer Support to adjust the reservation after March 8. We thank you in advance for your patience.[/I]

Thanks!

Regards,

Andrew
Has anyone tried to call to get a points reduction on an existing reservation yet? I have Hawaii reserved for this summer and by my calculation I should save 50K points! Just wondering if customer service is aware of this and not giving any problems honoring the reduction.

Thanks,
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Good timing. This is going to save me 20K points on an upcoming stay.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:49 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qlabdad
Has anyone tried to call to get a points reduction on an existing reservation yet?
Given that March 8th hasn't rolled around yet, I wouldn't think the new award levels will be in Marriott's system yet. Therefore I wouldn't think anyone would see any changes to their awards till after the change is in effect.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I like the changes. Very balanced and reasonable as far as I can see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.